Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what is the cheapest windows vista ultimate

• 26-02-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Alrite folks,

I'm looking to get a legit copy of windows vista. I'm thinking of purchasing from komplett or dabs. Could I get an OEM copy and use that? I would also like to upgrade my pc considerably in the future... so would that be possible?

I'm unsure of the OEM rules.

Sniipe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well before settling on the Ultimate version check the features table and see as the Home Premium version may suffice.

The OEM versions are tied to the motherboard they install on, you can change the surrounding hardware as much as you want but if the mobo changes it will prompt to reactivate. The only way to reactivate such OEM installs is to call MS and tell them the mobo died & was replaced to which they will then reactivate it.

The retail versions have no such mobo restriction and can be reinstalled and reactivated as many times as you want though up to a point you will have to call MS after the tenth or twentieth activation I think.

The cheapest way to get Vista Ultimate retail is to buy it from the USA really as where getting ripped off but another way is to use the upgrade version, what you do is install from the DVD and do not enter in a serial key so it installs essentially a trial version of Vista, then in Vista run the DVD & it will prompt to upgrade to Vista so put in your serial key and it will find the existing Vista install and basically upgrade that & activate itself (more details here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

8T8 wrote:
    what you do is install from the DVD and do not enter in a serial key so it installs essentially a trial version of Vista...QUOTE]

Not really legal

Sniipe wrote:
    Alrite folks,

I'm looking to get a legit copy of windows vista. I'm thinking of purchasing from komplett or dabs. Could I get an OEM copy and use that? I would also like to upgrade my pc considerably in the future... so would that be possible?

I'm unsure of the OEM rules.

Sniipe

OEM version has to be sold to system builders only, end users can not buy them. This is also specified on the Komplett website.
    So if you want a cheap version of Vista, you have to buy a new PC with.

mick.fr wrote:
    Not really legal

Nothing illegal about it seems as Microsoft know about it and have said they have no plans to stop it. As far as Vista is concerned it's 100% legit.
    mick.fr wrote:
    OEM version has to be sold to system builders only, end users can not buy them. This is also specified on the Komplett website.
    So if you want a cheap version of Vista, you have to buy a new PC with.

Umm I bought OEM versions no problem without any hardware you don't have to buy a new PC at all. Anyone can purchase the OEM versions from Komplett/Pixmania/Dabs/OcUK etc there is no restriction despite whatever you may have read.

The OEM versions are intended to be sold with a hardware item which is true and some sites thrown in a cable or something so they full fill the terms & others don't even bother with that but Microsoft doesn't care and knows full well the OEM versions are sold in retail channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

One of things to watch out for when buying an OEM is that you will not be entitled to any support from Microsoft.
    When selling an OEM to a System Builder/ OEM vendor, Microsoft also pass on the support entitlement. If you buy a pc from Dell and have problems with Windows they need to help you, and not Microsoft.

If this is not a problem then go for it - an OEM DVD will cost nearly half the price of an Upgrade. A 32bit Ultimate OEM costs €180 on Komplett.

• Advertisement

Microsoft's technical support is something that leaves a lot to be desired...

If you go retail you only get 90 days free tech support after that you pay on the per incident charges.

Anyone who knows enough to suss out the OEM version will probably get better tech support on the net or do it themselves. That probably applies to most people who get the retail version as well. If you are someone who changes the motherboard frequently in the space of a year or two then you are better off with the retail version.

8T8 wrote:
    Nothing illegal about it seems as Microsoft know about it and have said they have no plans to stop it. As far as Vista is concerned it's 100% legit.

Umm I bought OEM versions no problem without any hardware you don't have to buy a new PC at all. Anyone can purchase the OEM versions from Komplett/Pixmania/Dabs/OcUK etc there is no restriction despite whatever you may have read.

The OEM versions are intended to be sold with a hardware item which is true and some sites thrown in a cable or something so they full fill the terms & others don't even bother with that but Microsoft doesn't care and knows full well the OEM versions are sold in retail channels.

I am sorry 8T8 this is untrue.
    Microsoft does not allow End-Users to buy OEM version.
    People like Komplett etc are not allowed to sell OEM to send users.

And OEM version are intended to be sold with a new computer only now, not with a piece of hardware anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8T8 wrote:
    Nope - just because it activates doesn't make it legit.

If Microsoft allow the world and it's mother to buy a half price copy of windows and install against Microsofts own EULA, does that mean they are ripping off their legit customers ??

Nope - just because it activates doesn't make it legit.

If Microsoft allow the world and it's mother to buy a half price copy of windows and install against Microsofts own EULA, does that mean they are ripping off their legit customers ??

I should have been more accurate with my comment with the activation process in that it activates without complaint but you're correct a legal grey area/loophole maybe more fitting if not violating the EULA for the upgrade/install. But Vista's installer clearly has no problems with the unactivated version as a valid operating system to upgrade on, if it weren't it would surely be not permitted in the first place or maybe stupidity on Microsoft's part. It's not that cheap either at least here anyway.
    I am sorry 8T8 this is untrue.
    Microsoft does not allow End-Users to buy OEM version.
    People like Komplett etc are not allowed to sell OEM to send users.

And OEM version are intended to be sold with a new computer only now, not with a piece of hardware anymore.

In strict legals terms maybe but in practice I doubt it will ever stop. When OEM copies vanish from all retailers on the face of the earth then I'll believe it.

Advertisement