Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on music courses

Options
  • 26-02-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey people,

I'm thinking of doing a music recording course and need some advice. I have my eye on Temple bar music centre courses which look really hands on and practical. The other option is to go to Maynooth and do the Music Technology degree - it seems to cover a very broad spectrum from music composition to computer music to acoustics. It looks great but I don't know what their facilities are like down there. So my main question is would it be better to spend three years in TBMC and get a City and Guilds or to go back to college altogether and get a degree in Music technology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I would go the college route - as one you are not guaranteed 3 years in tbmc and a degree will stand to you more the an C&G - not in terms of direct employment but if you ended up going into some sort of digital media work.

I have also heard good things about Maynooth and the MT degree..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Depends on what you want to get out of it. I did the music tech masters in UL (I'm working with 2 graduates from the NIUM degree now and it appears to be a very similar course to the one I did) - its a brilliant course and you learn tons, as you said everything from composition to acoustics to programming etc. But the recording part of it is very limited. We had as much time in the protools studio as we wanted, but literally only maybe 6-8 hours of tuition on recording techniques in the whole year.

So if you want a really broad and theoretical education on electronic music and music technology (which I personally found great) then go for the masters course in Maynooth or elsewhere. (The facilities in Maynooth are supposedly not as good as those in Limerick, Belfast or Trinity, as far as I've heard, by the way). But if you want to focus on studio/recording/protools stuff, then I'd look elsewhere. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mikmon

Cheers for the advice guys.

I have only more questions!

What kind of jobs are on offer in digital media?

What good things have you heard about Maynooth Call me al?

I'd be a bit worried about the lack of hours involved in Maynooth - there's only about 8 hours of teaching/lecturing per week compared to four days a week in temple bar (don't know how many hours a day but i'd say its more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ungratefuldead

Hi man,

I'm doing the part time course in Pulse college myself.........and is really good from my point of view. Also is the only authorised Prootools school in Ireland........so with the price is include the curse for Protools professional operator......i know that the full tima got lot of time in studio during the week......and also plenty of session man and external engineer give lessons.....the equipment is first class stuff......i dont' know the other school maybe are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

I hear the course in Trinity is good. People that I know that do seem VERY happy and seem to have loads of fun. Making electronic songs for assignments and they use the studio quite a bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Redegg wrote:
    I hear the course in Trinity is good. People that I know that do seem VERY happy and seem to have loads of fun. Making electronic songs for assignments and they use the studio quite a bit too.
    Got a limk to this course? Is it at nighttime?
    cheers

Advertisement