Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some upgrade help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer & Xtreme Audio are not real X-Fi's they are cut down parts that lack the functionality of proper X-Fi cards so do not buy.

The cheapest real X-Fi is the Xtreme Music version on OcUK as Komplett does not sell them anymore. Given the sound card choice & RAM I'd go with OcUK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

So the overclockers ram is better.
    Also why is that sound card dearer if its not a proper one.

Thanks

Edit: Also i will have 2 512 modules of pc5300, could i put them in with 2 512 modules of pc4200. The mobo is compatable with the 2 but will the ram work together on the same mobo and i assume theat if it does they will both work at 533mhz

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You got me as to the price but to hazard a guess the X-Fi Xtreme Music is being phased out in favour of cheaper solutions that make Creative more money at the lower end so I guess profit is the answer.

Of course they don't tell people these new cards aren't proper X-Fi's so the unsuspecting buy the cheap models unaware and those in the know are forced into buying the more expensive models that go over €100 in price.

For the question on mixing modules if you install two PC4200 (DDR2-533) modules alongside two PC5300 (DDR2-667) modules it will drop down to PC4200 speeds. If the DDR2-533 modules have timings in their SPD for DDR2-667 then it will work in that mode, the only way to check is to use CPU-Z and go to the RAM SPD tab and see what it lists.

If the timings aren't present then it will drop to DDR-2 533 mode but I would not fret as the performance difference is very small in fact DDR-2 800 is a waste in most situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Thank you very much for your help. much appreciated

Advertisement