Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Activation and changing motherboard

• 26-02-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of changing my current motherboard to different model. Will be re-installing Windows XP OEM from clean.

Will I have any problems re-activating windows? Anybody done same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

davmigil wrote:
    I am thinking of changing my current motherboard to different model. Will be re-installing Windows XP OEM from clean.

Will I have any problems re-activating windows? Anybody done same?

Your license is gone, you need a new one.
    If the PC dies, Windows OEM version also dies with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If it doesn't reactivate over the net you 'might' end up having to call Microsoft in that event all you tell them is that your motherboard died and was replaced simple as that & they will reactivate it for you. {Reactivation in the event of motherboard failure is permitted in the OEM license}.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8T8 wrote:
    If it doesn't reactivate over the net you 'might' end up having to call Microsoft in that event all you tell them is that your motherboard died and was replaced simple as that & they will reactivate it for you. {Reactivation in the event of motherboard failure is permitted in the OEM license}.
    IIRC Only if the motherboard is repaired under the manufacturers warranty. :(

Don't forget that many/most of the people who answer phone when you ring microsoft are sub-contracted out and aren't microsoft employees...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

davmigil wrote:
    Anybody done same?
    Loads of times. The online activation will fail. Then you ring Microsoft and go through the automated activation on the phone. That will also fail.
    You'll then get through to a human who will ask you 4 things.
    1. What can I do for you today?
    2. Could you read out the installation code as it appears on your screen?
    3. Was this copy of Windows ever activated before?
    4. Why does it need to be reactivated? (Always answer with motherboard failure)
    They will then give you the activation code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Strange ... I changed board with Windows XP Pro OEM (went from a Sapphire Radeon XPress 200P to an MSI K8N Neo4-FI nForce 4 Ultra) and the Windows version carried over no problem. The system picked up the new board changes, didn't ask for reactivation and it activated fine when I reinstalled for other reasons.

Every other piece of hardware was left in situ so I suppose that was what saved it.

The only thing I could suggest is to go ahead and try it. You might get lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement