Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phantom fm's Niggling annoyances

• 26-02-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Please for the love of God Phantom lose the horrible interuptions in an otherwise satisfactory listening experience.

Im talking specifically about 'Carousel' and 'Get a Job' segments.Emphasis particularily on the former. Anyone who listens to Phantom regularily will understand where im coming from.

I just cant Fathom how bosses in there could justify the 3 minutes of aural Diahiorea, supposedly constituting an update in the world of art and theatre, to be broadcast every day on the hour.I wanna hurl when the music kicks in, i switch off now when yer one starts spouting.
    Sinead Ni (insert D4 psuedo-irish name here) seems to be the only one benifitting from this god-awful exercise in blatent pretension, smugly ****eing on about an exhibition in temple bar featuring pieces called 'raspberry rape' or how the artist creates an existential orgy of colour and senses.christ i have nowt against this culture but i'm not keen on sitten in traffic and listening to an Orts student monged on lattes pollute the airwaves with complete dross,and get paid for it.
    Get a job serves a fundamentally good purpose, but its just horribly amateur right down to the offsprings 'get a job' on the intro/outro music.uggh. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I really enjoy the Carosel feature as it's informed me of exhibitions and plays that I would've otherwise missed as I always forget to pick up an event guide and I don't listen to any other radio channels.

I agree about the Offspring's "Get a Job" music is quite irritating. I think it would sound better if there was different music used, preferably something just instrumental, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

See, you just can't win them all. Some like Carousel, some don't. Likewise some like Get A Job and some don't. Only this afternoon, someone rang me at the station to say thanks for the feature as they had just started a new job out of it.

Drinkmilkids silly comments about the presenters name don't really warrant a reply and I really dont think personalised insults such as "(insert D4 psuedo-irish name here)" have any place on a board like this. Lazy at best.

The other thing to always remember of course is that items like this are part of what we are contractually obliged by the BCI to broadcast.

Regards,
    Simon Maher
    simonmaher@phantom.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

I think the getajob bit is quite good, maybe it's because some of the jobs are things I might be interested in or know somebody that might, maybe it's a demograph thing? To be honest I never paid a huge ammount of attention to the Music.

I like the Carousel thing kinda for the same reason, it's stuff I might be interested in or know someone that might. Cinema listings are all very well but they are also pretty easy to get yourself whereas the Carousel might spark on something less obvious.

Re the accent thing, it's stupid, there are a whole heap of people in Dublin who speak with that accent, more than any country town. Face it, it's an Irish accent!

PS I am from the country so I get slagged for my accent a bit so I know what it's like, it drives me mad. The vanity of anyone to think that their accent is somehow "better" than someone from Carlow or Cavan or South County Dublin or whereever. That's Snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

The vanity of anyone to think that their accent is somehow "better" than someone from Carlow or Cavan or South County Dublin or whereever. That's Snobbery.

Good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭lockon...

Personally I can't stand the "Live Guide" been played every 15min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I love Carousel as it has "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson in the background. :D

lockon... wrote:
    Personally I can't stand the "Live Guide" been played every 15min.

Well actually its 2 hours but never let that get in the way of a good post :)

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what i don't like its the traffic (and news), update I welcomed phantom back and was trying to make an effort to listen to it to hear and keep up with new music but while Im sitting on the dart going to work in the evening I tired of hearing about the m50... if people want traffic news can't they use that traffic bulletin system cars have? So they can keep up with the traffic and listen to phantom, while I can just listen to music.

again simon will come back here all offended and say it not his fault, its requirements and its to keep the many listeners who do want traffic news rather then switchin, but thats what I tought the car t button system was for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

again simon will come back here all offended and say it not his fault, its requirements and its to keep the many listeners who do want traffic news rather then switchin, but thats what I tought the car t button system was for.

i don't think it's requirements for Phantom, by Phantom. i think it's more terms of a contract that they signed to get their broadcast license. i'm sure simon'll have something to say about it, but personally i like getting the news, live guide, traffic updates and all the other mod cons of a commercial station wrapped up with genuinely good music and knowledgeable DJ's.

i'm sure if they didn't have the news etc. people would be complaining tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

i like getting the news, live guide, traffic updates and all the other mod cons of a commercial station wrapped up with genuinely good music and knowledgeable DJ's.
    Couldn't agree more. The information presented in the job and other guides throughout the day are informative and well geared towards the audience.

The traffic update is funny in the evenings as all the roads are wait for it... heavy. Who could have thought? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

...but thats what I tought the car t button system was for.

That thing NEVER bloody works!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm a new Phantom listener and really enjoy the station, but i switch off when the news comes on, mainly because its its such an obvious rip and read job from INN, i think it needs to be tailored more to the audience

And the entertainment story in the middle is really annoying...murder...job losses...The Police reforming...and then a story about a fatal car crash or something similar? Come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

If someone could get rid of that tongue-chewer from Ham Sandwich (kerr-azee!!!), that would be wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 backpacker

again simon will come back here all offended

Oh yeah, and when was the last time another Station Manager actually did you the courtesy of responding personally to your views on their station. If you hadn't inserted the piece of silliness above, Simon just might have replied to you.

Some people just don't realise when they have it good. A commercial radio station in a major city whose station manager takes the time to respond to comments on the toilet wall that forums like this can come to resemble. I say well done Simon Maher.

backpacker wrote:
    Oh yeah, and when was the last time another Station Manager actually did you the courtesy of responding personally to your views on their station. If you hadn't inserted the piece of silliness above, Simon just might have replied to you.

Some people just don't realise when they have it good. A commercial radio station in a major city whose station manager takes the time to respond to comments on the toilet wall that forums like this can come to resemble. I say well done Simon Maher.

again ****** will come back here all offended

traffic doesn't change enough to justify it every 15 mins

backpacker wrote:

again ****** will come back here all offended

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Lostexpectation please read the charter. Civility is expected in this forum.

Ah Lostexpectation, bless. I promise not to do my best not to be offended. I will however defend our position wherever it is right to do so.

Anyway, the "every 15 mins" thing is wrong again. During the off peak hours there is a traffic bulletin approximately once an hour and during peak hours its once an hour. We do our best to keep the information as up to date as possible and try our best to include as much public transport information as possible too. Difficult to source that sometimes though, but we're working on it.

On the news posting from giftgrub, well Im glad you enjoy the station and am sorry you dont enjoy the news. Yes, some stories come from INN but thats to be expected given that main news is main news and of course that we are operating with limited resources. As for story priorities, I cant agree on that one. Yes, our story priorities can be different to other stations but its always in context and never as bluntly scheduled as you make out.

Thanks all and keep listening!

Regards,
    Simon Maher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bastich

Some like Carousel, some don't.
    The problem I have with it is that it seems like an unedited reading of the pretentious (my personal opinion) guff that galleries etc put on the wall, rather than an accurate description of the subject.
    If it sounds like a fluff piece rather than a review it's a waste of time.
    The other thing to always remember of course is that items like this are part of what we are contractually obliged by the BCI to broadcast.
    What's the time frame for you to drop those restrictions like the other stations have? ;)
    Or did the pirate thing leave ye permanently in the doghouse?

BTW is there any way that you can keep the news on the half hour all day rather, so that I have the option to switch stations for 5 minutes and then leave it on for an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

Phantom are doing a great job. Excellent radio station, and have been listening since the early days.

Yes, the BCI do have regulations to which radio stations must conform, for example, The News elements, and I don't think people can give out about Phantom 105.2, or any other station about the fact they play a three minute recording about Arts & Culture.

I personally enjoy the little radio articles, if you want to call them that, and I feel that they bring a fresh change to them, as many other stations do not do them.

I will continue to support Phantom 105.2, and all it's endeavours, as I have done since day one. Thanks Simon, and to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

bastich wrote:
    The problem I have with it is that it seems like an unedited reading of the pretentious (my personal opinion) guff that galleries etc put on the wall, rather than an accurate description of the subject.
    If it sounds like a fluff piece rather than a review it's a waste of time.

Yep I get annoyed at this too, if it's an exhibition just sticking to the basic theme would be better than reaming off a ridiculously pompous description. I like the feature, as in it is handy and informative but this is something that annoys me everytime I hear it.

Advertisement