Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

afro samurai in english?

Options
  • 26-02-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

i watched the first episode of this today and its in english with samuel l jackson doing the main role. it seems to be on the ok not brilliant side of the scale.

but my real question here is: wtf? an anime made by gonzo and aired on fuji tv and its in english with no japanese subs. that seems a little strange to me. would there be such a high percentage of people who can speak english in japan? anyone have any idea about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

no subtitles at all? that is odd. But speaking education wise, I believe it is common for people to start learning English in middle school [although I'm probably mistaken] Many countries have children learning foreign languages from a very young age perhaps that is the case

Besides that, from what I've been hearing Samuel L. Jackson is the whole selling point for this anime :D It wouldn't do to dub him now would it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

ok the whole learning english from middle school thing: we here learn irish (bad example) from when we are 4 or 5. another example, i learned german from 5th class in primary school and 5 years in secondary school, and was still ****e at talking german. then went out with a german girl for over 2 years and still i would need the subtitles on to watch das boot. ok, so maybe i'm not very good at languages'.

but still, unless samuel l. is an anime lover (quite possible) and has no problem pumping $1,000,000 (figure from animenewsnetwork) into a project which the target market will not understand what is happening, this series does not make sense. let's say that tv3 produced a series in french and broadcasted it unsubtitled (given that lots of people study french in school), i don't think it would get a favourable response.

my point being, why not sub it in japanese?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I watched a few eps of this, you don't really need anyone to say anything to understand what's going on.

That said, I know nothing about how/where this show is broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Here's a trailer for the Director's Cut R1 DVD:

http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/880/880321/vids_1.html

Advertisement