Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pride 33- Must see tv

• 26-02-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

It was unbelieveable. So good I'd even recommend it to non MMA fans. They are going out of business in style.

I encourage anybody to watch this.

Heres a link to Takanori Gomi (heavy heavy favourite) versus Nick Diaz which is maybe fight of the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46nuot_6Ak

You should see more links for the matches on the side. Henderson and Silva is also must see, particuliary for those who know Silvas reputation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just finished watching the show, pretty damn amazing all right! It was an awesome show. I just love the production values for Pride and each and every fight delivered. The first round of Gomi v Diaz was one of the greatest rounds in MMA history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watched this and it is my first time seeing a Pride event. good show but whats with that screaming woman in the ring? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

apart from the japanese commentary pride kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

fatal wrote:
    apart from the japanese commentary pride kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!

There was English commentary on the videos I was watching!

I love the Japaneese woman announcer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Still can't believe what happened in the Gomi fight, and deligted with how things went for the Hendo/Silva fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It was the second full Pride event I've watched, absolutely brilliant. I find the whole UFC/Pride thing very strange, in that Pride has had much better matches than UFC has had in the two Pride events I've seen compared to recent UFC cards. Pride has been solid right through the event. Their production skills are way ahead of UFC in my opinion. And they make such a big spectacle out of the whole event, once it gets going it never stops, unlike UFC who tend to have a longer wait in between matches. The only reason I bring this up is because I was reading about how Dana White has been slaggin Pride for constantly saying that they're the no.1 company throughout the ppv, which he says proves that they're not. The only reason they're not the no.1 company though is because most Americans haven't had exposure to it. If UFC had put on a ppv that good, you wouldn't hear the end of it til next year

Great fights, although I was firmly behind a few of the losers! The play-by-play guy they had (who I'm assuming is their regular guy) was much better than the lad who did the New Year's Eve event. Josh Barnett was decent on commentary too, though the love-fest he had going on with Trigg got a bit much at times

The woman announcer is American, is she not? She was in the ring to announce a few matches, she certainly wasn't Japanese! I got a bit of a shock to be honest, she sounded like a really hot Japanese woman in my mind....

I love the Japaneese woman announcer too.

got a pic of her that you could post up ;) ?

Lenne_Hardt.jpg

fatal wrote:
    got a pic of her that you could post up ;) ?

Apparently you'd be disappointed. I remember Meltzer saying one time how it was a BIG mistake showing her on tv. It ruined all the a lure. I could be wrong on her nationality too! I've never actually seen her. My mind must have been wandering in the same place Fozzys was!

In relation to what Fozzy was saying I think your being a bit unfair to Dana White and the UFC in that I think they just have a slightly different perspective on how to get MMA mainstream to Pride.

Pride is a bit like professional wrestling in the way it packages itself. I'm not downplaying the fights but in terms of spectacle, music, video packages and production its very WWE like (except twice as good). Even now their production is great and apparently it was much better before they started bleeding money after losing tv last year.

I think Dana is reluctant to going down that route to the extent Pride does for fear MMA won't be treated seriously as a legit sport. I know which one I would prefer but to be fair to Dana he's making in roads almost on a daily basis. So its hard to argue that his approach is wrong.

Also in relation to pride versus UFC fights, its a bit unfair to judge it over 2 shows. I'm not an expert but I think Pride traditionally would have seen to have had the much better fighters. But again as UFC has grown the pedigree of talent has increased greatly to the point where some would argue they have a better roster ( at leas tin the lower weight divisions although thats very debatable I'm sure) in 2007.

Also on the point if UFC had a show like that, you'd never hear the end of it, well thats what promoters do! They have plenty of bad days (UFC had about 8 years of them!) so when a good day comes along you got to milk it for all its worth.

I think I might just be getting the same feeling I got when I discovered an alternative to WWE! I'd just love to see what would happen if mainstream America knew about Pride. Most MMA fans in America obviously think that there's nothing outside of the UFC, and a lot of that's down to the UFC themselves. Pride have probably missed out on any possible Liddell vs Wanderlei fight now. If Wanderlei had won that, it could've really helped Pride make an impression on America and helped save them. Really don't want to see them go out of business

The contrast between American and Japanese culture is really apparent when it comes to MMA and wrestling. I've seen shows in Japan where they've had a mix of worked and shoot matches, and the crowd respected each match for what it was. I don't know if that could ever happen in America

I'd love to see a wrestling show done in the Pride way. I know the company that owns Pride also runs Hustle, but they have the weirdest shows around, maybe they'd be good if I had a Japanese sense of humour

Oh, and the latest revelation from Hogan is that UFC is a worked-shoot, and we're stupid if we think otherwise

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Pride in its current format is sunk regardless of what happened with Silva. Losing tv in Japan killed them. UFC may even end up buying them but thats in no way a certainty.

If your into your alternatives did you see the EXC promotion on Showtime? If you haven't, you have to see the Gina Carano Julie Kedzie fight.

I never thought I'd be a big fan of womans MMA but this won me over big time. Gina Carano could be huge given her personality, looks and ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aYcpErL8Y

Its not Gomi versus Diaz but its impressive. On commentary is Goldberg another dude and Mauro Ranallo (who I like but I'm not sure you do!).

indeed its impressive...thanks for sharing

Oh yeah, I've got that on my computer somewhere, forgot to watch it yet. I heard about the weigh-in, apparently a load of photographers showed up in the hope that Gina Carano would have to strip to make weight. No such luck! I don't think I've ever heard Mauro Ranallo, but I have heard that he's commentated on pro-wrestling before, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've come across him. I'll have to check that out when I get some time on my hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Diaz/Gomi was amazing. The gogoplata was picture perfect. One of my favourite submissions for sure. I had Diaz for it anyways, I knew Gomi wouldn't be able to handle the pressure Diaz puts on. It's the same in every Diaz fight. HE did the same to Lawler, took his best shots and kept coming and took Lawler out of his game.

Wandy is dropping from the ladder fast. One year he is indestructable, next he loses to Hunt, Arona, Crocop and Hendo.

Lil' Nog getting knocked out is a major upset, flash knockout - I'd like to see a rematch, they didn't really get into the fight.

Pride does need a TV deal ASAP, but they are working on it. I think this show has been one of the best MMA shows in recent years. It was all outstanding. Average card, but great fights.

Advertisement