Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfairly Banned From Bands/Musicians

Options
  • 26-02-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

The whole story goes like this - I began posting on Boards in June 06 and back then I had no idea how these kind of sites worked. I did'nt know how to post or even what spamming meant and I did'nt realise you had to read the charter before posting. Due to all this I made the mistake of having 2 or 3 of the same add on the first page and got an instant temp ban, no warning, just a straight ban. I have a problem with this way of doing things. I was new and made a mistake and should have been given a warning PM, that would save alot of hastle. There is no need to hand out bans for mistakes. My second temp ban was again for a mistake and was for something that isnt exactly laid out in the charter. Instead of bumping I just started new threads because it was cleaner than having all the replies and bumps etc on your add. I still kept to the rule you have to wait for your original add to leave the page etc but they felt this was spamming, even though technically my add would have spent the same amount of time on the front page even if I had just bumped. Again, no warning, just a straight temp ban for something I did'nt realise was aggainst the rules. So at this stage I have 2 bans to may name and I feel its is because of that, that I have been given my third and permanent ban. But this time I don't even see how I did anything wrong. What I've been doing is deleting old bumps so as to clean my add but they think I've been constantly bumping and deleting old bumps in an attempt to fool them and keep my add near the top, but I havent. I post, wait for post to go off the page and then bump, like I've been told. I delete old bumps if they are still fresh(able to edit them) to clean the add, it looks bad if your add is full of bumps. So in the end, my add is still being bumped by the rules but because of my early history they don't believe me. If I felt in any way what I was doing was wrong I would'nt have done it and again a simple warning would have done. Is there anyway you can help.(Papa Smut was the mod that banned me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you spoken to Papa Smut about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

I sent him 2 PMs, but he said the ban sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

In fairness to him, I can see why.

This post is entitled "unfairly banned" and is then followed by a description of how you ****ed up.

That doesn't give me the impression that you're going to become a reasonable user of the forum, though the same mistakes followed by "sorry, I ****ed up, I now see why I ****ed up" might.

Exactly, I ****ed up, I made mistakes, but I did'nt realise I was making them and for that I'm very sorry, I will make it my business in the future to make sure I'm doing things by the book if I'm unbanned. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the service Boards provides and for the last 8 months have been telling everyone I know about it and how usefull it is and now most of my friends use it. Again, sorry.

Just wondering what the story was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

It is unlikely that the mods decision will be over-ruled when you have a less than exemplary history, your best option here is to appeal to the mods sense of fairness and see if there is room for compromise perhaps your ban could be changed to a temporary one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Three strike rule Vex.
    In PI for instance, I would do the following:
    first ban - 1 week
    second ban - 1 month
    third ban - don't bother coming back, we won't miss you.

Charters are at the top of every single forum - you cannot miss them unless you're blind. It's nobodies fault but your own if you don't read them.

This is a site for grown ups - if they do not know how to behave themselves, we are not here to hold their hands while we walk them through every single proceedure - this site is too big for that.

But I dont want to grow up.

Fair enough, I can understand then that you don't want to send warning PM's everytime someone does something wrong as its a very big site and your busy and in the first occasions ya I completely understand the temp bans but ever since then I have tried to make sure I was doing things right but I think the reason for my last ban is totally uncalled for and I think its more of a personal thing because of my earlier history of stupid mistakes for which I hold my hands up. There is nothing in the charter about deleting bumps to keep your add clean. I made sure to wait for my add to leave the page, then I bumped and if my old bump was still fresh(able to edit) I deleted it to clean my add. At the end of the day my add was bumped correctly and spent only its fair amount of time on page one, but this is a persnal thing because Papa smut probably doesent believe this. He thinks i was constantly bumping when i wasent, so my last ban is totally unfair. I'm not an idiot, if i was doing what he thinks i was, it would have been plain for everyone to see, my add would always have been at the top. I wasent doin anything wrong in this last occasion.

For some reason, now when I log in I have no options on the top of the screen, I can't go to any forum, is this some kind of another ban because if it is I really don't get it. If I was an abusive member and hastling other users and disrespecting mods then I would deserve this but for making a few mistakes and pleading for a last chance I get this, you'd sware I was a bad person. All I'm asking for is one last chance, I don't think its too much to ask considering my bans were for mistakes and not for abusive behavour. I have never been given a month ban, can you just give me that please, when I return after that you can be sure there will be no more mistakes, please.

• Advertisement

Relax, there is no great conspiracy to remove you from boards.ie. The dynamic menu has fallen victim to the server move. You can get a list of all forums here. You can access all forums with the exception of private forums and those that you may have been "banned" from.

My main grievance is with my last ban because reading the charter again carefully I can't see what I did wrong, here is why I was banned:
    You are now banned from bands/musicians for excessive bumping. I have sent you PM's before, warning you and then temp banning you for excessive bumping.
    Bumping then deleting the bump is not a way around this.
    We can see that.

If you feel you have a problem with this, please PM me or Miju or take it to the feedback forum

Yours.

Barry
    Now here is the rule:

NO EXCESSIVE BUMPING OF THREADS at least wait a day or so before bumping a thread, if you get excessive with your bumping you'll get a temp banning

"At least wait a day or so before bumping". I never bump my adds on the same day, I alway waited for them to leave the page and that generally took 3 days. Again I think this ban is because of my past and simply because Papa Smut doesnt like me and since my first early bans I read the charter well and I was doing nothing wrong for months, I was banned for excessive bumping...I wasent excessivly bumping, that is why this is unfair. Also regarding the warnings and temp banning, that was back late last summer and regarding the deleting of bumps, you can see he thinks i was bumping like a mad man and then deleing, but i wasent because that would be stupid and obvious.

You delete/bumped the latest thread (here on the:

8th
    9th
    10th
    12th (29 hours after previous bump)
    20th (30 hours after your previous answer [now deleted] to a query)

So that is pretty excessive.

However, you must also take into account your previous thread. here

This was created some time before the new thread, however, someone else bumped it on the 14th (in the middle of your newer thread timewise) and you replied. That's cool, but then on the 15th you deleted your previous reply and replied again - hence bumping the thread again (now you have two concurrently running threads).

That's excessive bumping in my opinion.

Ya but you're not taking into account the fact that the mod Miju said I could bump when my add left the page, he even verified that he said that last week. So that looks excessive because on those days there was alot of acctivity and my add was pushed down very fast. I don't think it's excessive enough to warrent a permanent ban, a warning would have done. I see it as a technical mistake, sometimes these thing don't have to be so black and white. It's been month's since my last error's, you would think a quick warning before a complete permanent ban would'nt have been to much to ask concidering my last warning was months ago, I don't see why I can't be given a last chance, after all this ye can be sure I'll be 110% cautious of what I do.

O.P.H wrote:
    Ya but you're not taking into account the fact that the mod Miju said I could bump when my add left the page, he even verified that he said that last week.
    You didn't mention that earlier in the thread. Or am I blind?

Speak to miju if you feel that you are getting conflicting information.

Have you been told that you are allowed to have two threads on the same topic running at the same time? That is excessive topicising imo. ie: not cool.

This was Miju's PM to me when I asked him for help, he did'nt want to get invoved, fair enough -

FW: My banning from Bands/Musicians

To be honest I don't know the details of the banning O.P.H and to be honest Papa Smut is the one who banned you so it's really up to himself what to do.

Like I said I don't know the details of the banning so I can't really comment on it but I did tell O.P.H it was OK for him to bump his thread once it went off the first page rather than creating the multiple threads that previously existed once he didn't take the piss.

Sorry couldnt be off more help

miju

I also don't know what you mean by the two threads because I can't view your links as I'm banned, if I had 2 threads on the one page I don't remember that.

http://oph.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52793611#post52793611
    http://oph.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52781489#post52781489

You need to sort this out with miju and Papa Smut.

Seems like there is quite a bit of thread bumping going on (wouldn't adverts.ie be better for that kind of thing?). Due to the fact that thread bumping is happening it is forcing people to thread bump because threadbumping is forcing threadbumped threads off the forum.

I see what ya mean but that wasent my fault, this guy out of the blue replied to a post I made in November and it was a post that did'nt even have my new Myspace link. Also, Papa Smut isnt repling to my PM's and Miju did'nt want to get involved so I don't know if I will be able to get very far without another voice.

O.P.H wrote:
    I see what ya mean but that wasent my fault, this guy out of the blue replied to a post I made in November and it was a post that did'nt even have my new Myspace link.
    grabjt5.png

You posted a reply, then the next day you deleted it and replied again with the same message simply to threadbump.
    I don't know if I will be able to get very far without another voice.
    How do you know until you have tried?

I did that because my first reply to his question was simpy something like "no" and later on I thought that wasent a good reply and I wanted to ask him if he was interested. I'll give Miju a go then.

• Advertisement

Hey Gordan, I have sent Miju three PM's over the last week and have had no reply....?

Still waiting for a reply from Miju but this is goin on for a ages now....?

Advertisement