Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boot stuck closed

Options
  • 26-02-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

VW Golf Mk4 GTI, 2000

I just came back from training and put my gear in the boot. It opened ok but I noticed a click when i opened it but thought nothing of it.

When i got home I tried to open the boot but it just wouldn't.... It felt as if the handle had some purchase on the latch but that last little click to open it just wouldn't arrive...

I tried all combinations, unlocking, locking, pushing pulling etc... but nothing

Is this serious? Anyone any ideas what it is? It's fookin annoying :(

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There was a thread posted last week with a similar problem with a polo, do a search and you might get an idea you can try.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Not to state the obvious, but is it possible to access the boot through the back seat, and open the boot that way, just so you can see whats wrong with it. Could be that there's something wrong with the connection between the key barrell and the latch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most likely the actuator is kaput due to a leaking screen washer pipe. You should be able to open with the key - the key has three positions and you need to hold the key in one of the extreme positions and pull the handle at the same time. If that doesn't work then your gonna have to get into the boot to remove the actuator.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

crosstownk wrote:
    Most likely the actuator is kaput due to a leaking screen washer pipe. You should be able to open with the key - the key has three positions and you need to hold the key in one of the extreme positions and pull the handle at the same time. If that doesn't work then your gonna have to get into the boot to remove the actuator.

Ok, i'll try that then and see how I get on, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

it was my polo!!
    the roll pin that holds a little brass part that was worn, basically meaning it was free at one end. i reckon turning the key slightly and opening it should open it as it worked on mine for a few days before finally giving in!! if not you'll have to slide off the cover and get your hands in to open it. replacing the pin isnt a major job, a short M4 bolt and 2nuts on the end to keep it inplace done the job for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement