Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Shooting in New York

Options
  • 26-02-2007 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm off to New York for a holiday in March. I was hoping to go shoot a machine gun or something while I was there. It's just something I've wanted to do.

Is there any "tourist friendly" shooting ranges that one can goto?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

If you are going to New York City.FORGET IT!!!:(
    NYC is one of the gun banners paradises on Earth.
    Upstate New York,like Bufflao or thereabouts is where you need to go.I hear it is quite liberal.Dont think it is a Class3 State though.[one that allows possesion of silencers,full auto etc.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm going to Manhatten, yah.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Great thing about Manhattan is it has this place called "Grand Central Station". 42 platforms, if I recall. Two other states within commuting distance, I'll be astounded if you can't find a 'rent-a-gun' range somewhere nearby.

Just don't go on your own: Places won't rent you a gun unless you're in company.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

You could get down to Philadelphia pretty easily from NYC - there's a heap of ranges there that hire (check google maps). I'm over there quite a bit and always go to a place called Target Master, www.targetmaster.com. They've a 15 lane 25yd range, with about 30-40 different pistols for hire (glock, sig, S&W, HK, revolvers), 3or4 MP5's (full auto), AR14, AR15 (both full auto). I'd recommend everyone tries the MP5 at least once - amazingly accurate gun :D . All you need is your Passport/drivers licence and a few dollars. Also, it's cheap as chips (50x9mm, $10, 50x.40SW, $12). The RO's know their stuff (retired cops), so you can often get a free lesson from them if it's not too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

bigred wrote:
    You could get down to Philadelphia pretty easily from NYC - there's a heap of ranges there that hire (check google maps). I'm over there quite a bit and always go to a place called Target Master, www.targetmaster.com. They've a 15 lane 25yd range, with about 30-40 different pistols for hire (glock, sig, S&W, HK, revolvers), 3or4 MP5's (full auto), AR14, AR15 (both full auto). I'd recommend everyone tries the MP5 at least once - amazingly accurate gun :D . All you need is your Passport/drivers licence and a few dollars. Also, it's cheap as chips (50x9mm, $10, 50x.40SW, $12). The RO's know their stuff (retired cops), so you can often get a free lesson from them if it's not too busy.

Is there an email address for that place? (I cant spot one on their website). Im going to NY too soon, and wouldnt mind paying it a visit. Is it easy to get there on public transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Trotter wrote:
    Is there an email address for that place? (I cant spot one on their website). Im going to NY too soon, and wouldnt mind paying it a visit. Is it easy to get there on public transport?

Nope, they've just got a phone number.
    This place is a bit out of town, tbh you'd need a car. there's a good few closer to the center of philly, and a couple near the airport, which I believe has it's own rail stop. No harm just giving them a buzz. Hire yourself a car in NY for the day, 2.5hrs drive each way - a nice day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I was shooting outside Boston last summer. Mass has some of the strictest gun laws in the U.S., however a few hours on the net showed up a range where I did not need a permit to shoot. 4 Friends and I went out there one Firday night. By far one of the most enjoyable things I did over there.

I assume for NY state you should be able to find an few good indoor ranges within short driving range of the city. Rent a car for the day, NY state it self is worth a look so its an excuse to get out of the city for a day.

As regards the weapons, you should have a wide selection, I doubt you will get to shoot full automatic weapons, for instance I got to shoot an UZI and an AR-15 but these were set to single shot semi auto only, I assume the range bought these to prevent people letting off a full clip without any experience! Just call ahead first, make sure you have your passport as we all needed ours to shoot in boston. Good luck and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

was that in boston city? where abouts? i'm off there next febuary (SOO far away) any age limits? website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Machine/auto guns are banned in NYC and a few other states. You can go to a few places to shoot pretty much anything upstate new york. I get the address of a place in Middleton where you can <ssshhh> fire anything autos inc<ssshh> I killed a squirrel with riot shotgun./it was coming right at me etc:

Went on a hunt with a M1 garand and had a Deer in clear sight but couldnt do it , great gun to fire tho.

Obviously in the city its a bit of a no no but upstate its not too bad. If your only going for a weekend you could lose a day going up and back about 90 mins on a bus from Port bus station.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

We're going for 10 nights - so plenty of time. Trying to see what options are there :)

• Advertisement

oh yeah and i wouldn't have a gun with me so they'd have to have rentals and i don't want to pay anual membership so a once of visit would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

If you make it as far west as Indiana I'll let you shoot some. We have the following: M14, M3A1 (grease gun), M16A2, MP5, MP5SD, HK UMP .40. I could probably scare up a HK21 and perhaps a BAR and a Krinkov. We hillbillys like to have fun!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

I know a few people with full auto if you make it as far south as Virginia.
    Of course single shot, semi-auto is always open not to mention clay shooting. Just a thought.

i wouldn't mind shooting anyting, it's just i'm sking in new hampsheer and i get a half day in boston so thought i might as well find out if there is a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 P. Gannon

If you are planning to ski in New Hampshire you will be in a far better state to enjoy a good shoot that you could ever hope to have in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I don’t know for certain but if I were betting I would say that you would not find a range in MA that would rent CL III. If you are in NH you must pay a visit to the Manchester Firing Line (http://www.gunsnh.com/index.php). They will rent you all sorts of toys to try. As we like to say in New Hampshire (our state motto) Live Free or Die. Enjoy our American Culture.

Regards,
    Paul

Advertisement