Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to spot someone just arrived in Dublin

• 26-02-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi,

having lived in Dublin a year and a half....ok not long but are there tell tale signs for ppl who did'nt grow up in Dublin?

now serious ones not - they talk like farmers..........:eek:

ppl who always name the place they are going to getting on the bus for example, rather than say 1.40 or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lads that still order Guinness in the pubs forgetting how awful it is in Dublin!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

but if u grew up in dublin wouldn't you be well used to it?

Have to disagree on that anyway you get the best pints in Dublin, sure isn't it the home of guinness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Sleepy wrote:
    Lads that still order Guinness in the pubs forgetting how awful it is in Dublin!

An admirable comment from a dub i was expecting the "farmer" B$ !

I'd never heard that the Guinness was better outside the pale

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

i'm not from dublin and have to admit the best pints are in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Jeans and black kickers style shoes usually teamed up with some sort of check patterned shirt

Nowadays I usually have to say the destination when getting on the bus cause I've no idea what the fare is anymore as they keep changing the damn things.

Country people are hilarious though and something to be admired =p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ppl who always name the place they are going to getting on the bus for example, rather than say 1.40 or whatever?
    I do that if I'm getting the bus. Two reasons:
    1. The passenger is required to state their destination.
    2. It is up to the driver to state the fare required, not the passenger.
    Paulj wrote:
    i'm not from dublin and have to admit the best pints are in dublin
    Yes I agree, especially in the city centre. It doesn't seem to travel well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I do that if I'm getting the bus. Two reasons:
    1. The passenger is required to state their destination.
    2. It is up to the driver to state the fare required, not the passenger.

are you being sarcastic? thats hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

copacetic wrote:
    but if u grew up in dublin wouldn't you be well used to it?

Have to disagree on that anyway you get the best pints in Dublin, sure isn't it the home of guinness...

Sorry but Leixlip is the home of Guinness.
    Leixlip is also home of Arthur Guinness's first brewery where he brewed ales until he moved to St. James's Gate Brewery, Dublin in 1759.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leixlip

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

joolsveer wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leixlip

No, it's not. read your own link!!

Or read Arthurs own entry, he didn't brew the black stuff in Lexlip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

forget wickapedia-he brewed first pint in london where his company was registered -called the prodestants black stuff to keep the catholics drunk -at one stage in dublin city u had to drink stout and ale cause u couldnt drink the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Culchies spend a day trying to figure out the Luas machines, there's always a huge queue behind them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Possibley because they dunno how much it is?

I agree with the luas machines bit but not jsut for culchies for anyone who doesn't use them regularily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Moonbeam wrote:

I agree with the luas machines bit but not jsut for culchies for anyone who doesn't use them regularily!

it's not just culchies, I struggle with the parking machines:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

LOL , Im actually moving to Dublin soon , Im a complete culchie , even the bf dunno what I do be saying half the time luckily I got a great Deise slang word book for anybody I encounter in Dublin.

Im wan a these people that cant use the Luas machine , Im usually shouting hey boi whats the craic with those yoke I just wanna go to town at random passers by.

I think it`ll be a bit of a culture shock alright , LOL Will letters reach me with The big Scmhoke as part of the address ?

Gotta say though Im a muck savage an dead proud a it so they`ll be none a that How a yis business outa me boi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I disagree, I grew up in dublin and always say where I'm going as I only use the bus every couple of months and can't remember the fair or it has gone up in the mean time.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

they wait for a green man before crossing the road, or is that just foreigners?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

joolsveer wrote:

LOL Leixlip smells like it had a couple too many Guinness. Travelled through there recently and it smells so like a sewer.

silverharp wrote:
    always say where I'm going as I only use the bus every couple of months and can't remember the fair or it has gone up in the mean time.
    Same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 botvot

I have to say, the tell tale sign is when people are waiting (at a traffic light) to cross a street, and, as the little green man shows, with that noise...they mimick it! GRRRR...TATATATATATATATA

If this post doesn't make any sense, well, then use your imagination.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

the most obvious one would be that they have jsut gotten off a plane/train! :D

Generally you know by how slow they walk through Grafton Street.

If they're Irish: Big GAA shirt on them/ Its pissing rain and they're wearing shorts or jsut a T-Shirt

If they're American: Aran Jumper, or their bag is going over horizontal on their stomach

If they're (other): Hottest day of the year and they have their Jackets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Piste wrote:
    Culchies spend a day trying to figure out the Luas machines, there's always a huge queue behind them!

And Northsider's!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

Moonbeam wrote:

I grew up taking the bus from Balinteer to Ranelagh and i allways just put in the childs school fare, even when i was over 16. Never said the destination, only say it if i dont know where im going and dont know the bus, had to do that for placement in Stewarts hospital, payed 150 or so most days but sometimes the driver actually said it was more. But i eventually shut up and payed 150 anyway, they never check and the bus ride was only 15 minutes or so all the way from Pearse street to just before the m50 tollbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

Mairt wrote:
    And Northsider's!.
    Lol, you obviously dont use the Red Line. Its in the city centre, i guess you consider the Liffey as the north-south line too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You can tell by the fact that they come up to you to speak to you (asking for directions or whatnot) and you don't have a clue who they are.
    People from Dublin, don't ask for directions in Dublin. FACT! And anyone who does, usually gets given the wrong directions for not knowing. Tourits and newbies are given directions when they need it, but fellow Dubs get the pi55 taken out of em.

People from Dublin, don't ask for directions in Dublin. FACT! And anyone who does, usually gets given the wrong directions
    Do you normally contradict yourself in two lines? FACT!:rolleyes:

Advertisement