Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Shotgun....

Options
  • 26-02-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

hi all, im new to this craic, so im trying to stalk my way thru it here.............im looking into buying a shotgun, i have my eye on a 'silma' over & under....it looks a nice gun, with a good wood finish and a bit of engraving here and there............has anyone out there any experience with a silma (good or bad).....any help would be great lads,(and ladies)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have no experience with a Silma. But I have just purchased my first shotgun so I thought I might pass on some lessons learnt. Try out as many guns as possible so that you can see for your self the different characteristics of different guns. I found cheaper guns tend to be loud and some of em can kick pretty hard. Some friends bought €400 guns last month and are now spending €800 for more suitable guns. Buy in haste repent at leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Generally buy the best you can afford guns dont tend to drop in value a huge amount if you buy the right stuff so if you are stuck for the cash selling is always an option.

What side of shooting are you looking to get into? Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

One of the most important things in buying a shotgun is get one that fits you properly with the stock.Your dealer or instructor will be able ,if they are good at their job,to do this,and show you how.If you had size 12 feet,you are not going to be comfortable in size 8 are you.A ill fitting stock on a 2k gun is useless to you ,whereas an extra 200 quid spent on a custom stock on a 400 euro gun ,might make you shoot like you have a 3k worth of gun.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

im based in up here in donegal....the 'wet' county!!! ive been shooting since i started to walk, i saw the silma second hand but in first class condition, looks to be a good gun....its the only gun, be that a rifle or shotgun, that fits me to a tee, ive pretty long arms, so its rare to find one that fits so good!!!
    its multi-chokes, so il be doing a bit of everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

MM85,
    Welcome aboard.

Is this the gun you are looking at?

70NEJ.jpg

Does it have an alluminium action? What length of barrels and LOP etc.?

http://www.silma.net/website/frameita.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

na thats not it, close but not quite....ive been on the silma home site but nothing there quite match it........its a single selective trigger, multi-choked and doesnt have the sling hooks....the safety is down beside the trigger....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cashin

yea my mate bought a silma and i found it very good and a nice feel 2 it, but i still prefer my beretta 391

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thread is from 2007 fella ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

:D:D:D

Classic ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement