Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Gore-tex clothing shops in Waterford

• 27-02-2007 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Is Altitude on Ballybricken the only shop in Waterford where I could look for light goretex outdoor jackets?

I'm after something like Lowe Alpine or The North Face, but Altitude is quite expensive although it is good.

Its hard to think that in a city, theres only one outdoor clothing shop? Maybe there's more but I cant think of any!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maybe Impact but I don't really know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Does the Army surplus store (or whatever its called these days) cater for that kind of gear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

I haven't come across any others I'm afraid. Altitude are rather expensive it must be said. I tend to stock up in Decathlon on my trips to France as I find all this stuff way overpriced in Ireland in general, but this of course is of no help to ye whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

A trip to Padmore and Barnes may be in order, bear in mind though it's in enemy territory ;)
    www.barrabes.com for clothing and for climbing gear I use www.needlesports.com who are based in the UK.
    Try the stuff on in a shop and get your colours and sizes down. Ireland isn't exactly blessed with reasonable outdoor stores.
    Scroll down to the yellow ish section of this web page for more retail outlets
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/links/links1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for all the tips!

Im wondering too.. Im off to New York in April, would I be better off waiting and getting the north face stuff there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Trotter wrote:
    Thanks for all the tips!

Im wondering too.. Im off to New York in April, would I be better off waiting and getting the north face stuff there?

I would say definitely!

If you have access to one of those retail outlet malls then I'd say so. I'm not sure what the city itself is like as regards lower prices. One thing is sure though...you won't pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roen wrote:
    If you have access to one of those retail outlet malls then I'd say so. I'm not sure what the city itself is like as regards lower prices. One thing is sure though...you won't pay more.

We're going to some spot called Woodbury Common.. its an outlet place. Im not sure if it'd have the goretex gear Im after though..

I remember checking that place out before. It seems to be all designer stuff. They have a website that lists every outlet store there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

In case ye are interested Padmore & Barnes are doing final reductions in their winter sale, may be a chance to pick up something good for cheap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 prosecure

Hi Yes map and compass on ghladstone street is good it has everything and prices are very good.

I went in and gort rock climbing kit and a berghaus jacket they do some lowe alpine as well.

Mod Edit: <snip - no advertising>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

I shop in Altitude a bit - imho it is the gear that's expensive, not the shop. They charge the same prices as everywhere else (excluding online I suppose, don't know.) I have also picked up some great stuff for half nothing in that sale they do at Xmas, I had to queue but it was worth it.

Advertisement