Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theres a speed camera..

Options
  • 27-02-2007 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

When you come onto the M1 from coolock heading towards the M50, that stretch of road where the limit is 80km/h, drops to 60km/h for a few metres, then back to 120km/h when u come onto the M50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Think some1 should stick this to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lorax wrote:
    When you come onto the M1 from coolock heading towards the M50,

Where exactly? Your description doesn't seem to be correct to be honest, you don't need to hit the M1 to get from Coolock to the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lorax wrote:
    When you come onto the M1 from coolock heading towards the M50, that stretch of road where the limit is 80km/h, drops to 60km/h for a few metres, then back to 120km/h when u come onto the M50

So what? The camera being there doesn't change the fact that there is a limit to be observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

So what? The camera being there doesn't change the fact that there is a limit to be observed.
    Dont be so hight any mighty!
    Speed limits here are a joke andif you do not think so then you need to open your eyes.
    Until recently from the Red cow heading in to town was 50kph!! and there was always a Gatso there to catch people! This is a 6 lane dual carriageway! 3 lanes each side. Its now 60kph. Yet i can drive on a narrow lane single road with only enough space for 1 car at 80kph :rolleyes:

There are places such as Kinnegad where the speed on the same road goes from 60kph to 50kph back up to 60 kph within about 10 metres and there is nothing on the road. No property, gates etc.. nothing! Imagine there was a camera there and you were doing 60kph and all of a sudden for no reason its 50kph and you get done.

This kind of thinking is dangerous. It keeps peoples attention looking for speed cameras and with their eyes on their speedo instead of concentrating on driving safely!

So if someone is pointing out a speed camera on a road that only serves to provide revenue and not promote safety then do not give out to them about it.

Oh and Bluetonic that description sounds right to me although it might be better to say santry. I assume they mean coming off the santry roundabout junction (where it leads to coolock on the oscar traynor road) and its now a slip road to the M50 running along the old M1 (Port tunnel changed it).

Holy sh1t a speed camera! This is an outrage.

emottootag4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Nice one Lorax, thanks for that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Lorax wrote:

Are you sure about this?
    I travel this road every day and I do not know what section you are on about.
    Also is it a fixed camera or the van under the bridge?
    The Van is in a 80Km zone

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They've also had a silver Audi estate with a Gatso on the stretch of the M1 between Swords & Balbriggan.

/+2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Saruman wrote:
    Oh and Bluetonic that description sounds right to me although it might be better to say santry. I assume they mean coming off the santry roundabout junction (where it leads to coolock on the oscar traynor road) and its now a slip road to the M50 running along the old M1 (Port tunnel changed it).

The slip road is part of the M50.

OP - the M1 northbound doesn't begin until after J3/Turnapin interchange, better to be exact for these sort of things.

Not that it matters to the post but i do not understand what you are saying.
    It's M50. The M1 northbound doesn't being until after J3/Turnapin interchange.
    I know where the M1 begins, which is why is said the OLD M1 because until the Port Tunnel, that used to be the M1 all along there. I know because i drove it every single day when i worked in Gateway (clonsaugh).
    The road that leads down from Santry roundabout runs along where the Old M1 was, which leads up to the M50 roundabout. It now merges to a slip road (3 lanes, far left being the slip) direct to the M50. Im not sure what you mean by "its M50"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would this be the same stretch where there is both traffic merging from the Santry interchange onto the old M1 (now M50) and there is also traffic coming from the port tunnel that is quite likely to be changing lanes as they aim for the M50 J3/Turnapin interchange?
    Sounds like a reasaonable place to put it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm sure the mule in the back of the transit is proud of himself saving all those lives on that stretch of motorway!

By the way the van is parked on the Northbound side of the M1. If you are driving either from the Whitehall direction or come out of the Port Tunnel or enter the M1 northbound from the Santry/Coolock interchange the money grabbing van (because it has nothing to do with saving lives) is usually parked just under the M50 bridge on your way to the airport. Just another note that the limit is 80km until you pass the slip road for the airport where it increases to 120km as signposted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The first place speed cameras should be placed is in towns near schools and the like where speed will have more dangers to pedestrians, they should not be placed first in areas with zero accident ratings where they are purely revenue generating. It's also frightening how completely backward the whole Garda fleet is with almost zero use of technology in them compared to anywhere else in the developed world.

Ah I know this zone now.
    It is not on the main Old M1 / New M1
    it is on the slip road / on ramp to the M50
    and the limit only applies to the part of the road that is linking up with the main M50 going up the hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Saruman wrote:
    Dont be so hight any(sic) mighty!...
    ..There are places such as Kinnegad where the speed on the same road goes from 60kph to 50kph back up to 60 kph within about 10 metres and there is nothing on the road. No property, gates etc.. nothing! Imagine there was a camera there and you were doing 60kph and all of a sudden for no reason its 50kph and you get done.

This kind of thinking is dangerous. It keeps peoples attention looking for speed cameras...
    Brilliant thinking there mate! You obviously don't live in a rural area, or one on the outskirts of any provincial town. Speed limits are there for a reason and if you drive watching for Speed Cameras instead of simply obeying the speed limit and paying attention to road signage then you are an idiot. Sorry, but you really need to get a grip on what is important and that includes safety on our roads and compliance with the law.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=53.404262,-6.23208&spn=0.011615,0.029182&om=1

Its in the very centre of that map, its near the port tunnel yeah and the limit is 80km/h, the camera is fixed on an overhead sign

Brilliant thinking there mate! You obviously don't live in a rural area, or one on the outskirts of any provincial town. Speed limits are there for a reason and if you drive watching for Speed Cameras instead of simply obeying the speed limit and paying attention to road signage then you are an idiot. Sorry, but you really need to get a grip on what is important and that includes safety on our roads and compliance with the law.

Won't somone please think of the children.:eek:

Way to grab the moral high ground mr angry. I hate the way people can't have a sensible discussion about speed limits without crap like this.

Lorax wrote:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=53.404262,-6.23208&spn=0.011615,0.029182&om=1

Its in the very centre of that map, its near the port tunnel yeah and the limit is 80km/h, the camera is fixed on an overhead sign

Really??... I've never seen one there and I travel that road every day.
    Now there are a few traffic monitoring cameras along that road on the signs, and there are Mobile cameras but no Fixed speed cameras AFAIK

None that have spotted me yet anyway :D

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"Until recently from the Red cow heading in to town was 50kph!! and there was always a Gatso there to catch people! This is a 6 lane dual carriageway! 3 lanes each side. Its now 60kph. Yet i can drive on a narrow lane single road with only enough space for 1 car at 80kph"

Heading south towards Naas, it's 80kph, after the Luas entrance..
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Lorax wrote:

Post it on http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/input_location.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Lorax wrote:

Thats not a speed camera ! Its trafic management .

Mother of God what are you talking about? I do not drive around watching for speed cameras or looking at my speedo all the time.. whatever gave you that idea? I was reffering to what WILL happen if speed cameras are placed all over the country with no regard for safety on only to generate revenue by hiding them in safe areas with stupidly low limits.

And for jaysus sake open your bloody eyes! it clearly says im in Westmeath FFS So your assumption of me not living in a rural area is complete sh!te.

What the hell part of what i said in any way made you think to call me an idiot ? You seem to be thinking im someone who says speed limits should not be obeyed and to hell with road safety? I would love to hear where you arrived at that conclusion.

The only person who needs a grip on reality is YOU since you clearly cant understand a simple post validly pointing out flaws in our speed limits and putting cameras in places where the limit is way too low and is only there to generate revenue.

As someone who does live in the country i know the best place for them is in small towns where no one obeys the 50kph limit and in dangerous black spot areas. Not on motorways, 3 lane highways and wide safe roads where there has never been a fatal accident and one is not likely but the speed limit is very low for no obvious reason.

This stretch we are talking about is probably warranted as far as the speed limit is concerned since the port tunnel opened.

sharkman wrote:
    Thats not a speed camera ! Its trafic management .

Oh really. I didnt know they could flash your car, and issue a speeding fine and 2 penalty points? (This happened to my gfs aunty, doing 91 in 80) At that exact spot. Look im only trying to help, why would I come on here and give details of a speed camera that doesnt exist? AND even if it doesnt (which it does) ya shouldnt be speeding anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lorax wrote:
    Look im only trying to help, why would I come on here and give details of a speed camera that doesnt exist? AND even if it doesnt (which it does) ya shouldnt be speeding anyway!

Lorax, if you want to help you should set an example, stop with your drinking and driving, careless driving and speeding!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52811679&postcount=71

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

DonJose wrote:
    Lorax, if you want to help you should set an example, stop with your drinking and driving, careless driving and speeding!!!

Well said.

Right so, in future I wont post the locations of any speed cameras I find out about.

Lorax wrote:
    Oh really. I didnt know they could flash your car, and issue a speeding fine and 2 penalty points? (This happened to my gfs aunty, doing 91 in 80) At that exact spot. Look im only trying to help, why would I come on here and give details of a speed camera that doesnt exist? AND even if it doesnt (which it does) ya shouldnt be speeding anyway!

Just to be clear there is NO fixed Speed camera there.
    She was most likley caught by the Unmarked Gatso van under the M50 bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

DonJose wrote:

Ooohhh, dragging up the dirt, this is like a US election!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Lorax wrote:

Are their markings on the road? As far as I know there has to be markings on the road if it's a speed camera as they need them to calculate the speed you were doing. I'm going out that way tomorrow, I'll have a look.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote:
    Just to be clear there is NO fixed Speed camera there.
    She was most likley caught by the Unmarked Gatso van under the M50 bridge.

As i said above - and no markings on the road

Advertisement