Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee injury - Now getting back onto the bike

Options
  • 27-02-2007 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I injured my knee there around christmas time and was off the bike for a while. The knee is better for a while now but due to circumstances didn't get back on the bike immediately. People may or may not remember me from before on this forum but I only got into the cycling around October last.

Coming up to christmas, I was doing about 50 miles every Saturday and training moderately for around 45mins - 1hr every day during the week.

I probably made many mistakes starting out regarding work overload et cetera. Im just wondering what should I start out doing now again? I think I remember somebody saying here before that building it up by 10% a week is a good idea. Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

junii wrote:
    I injured my knee there around christmas time and was off the bike for a while. The knee is better for a while now but due to circumstances didn't get back on the bike immediately. People may or may not remember me from before on this forum but I only got into the cycling around October last.

Coming up to christmas, I was doing about 50 miles every Saturday and training moderately for around 45mins - 1hr every day during the week.

I probably made many mistakes starting out regarding work overload et cetera. Im just wondering what should I start out doing now again? I think I remember somebody saying here before that building it up by 10% a week is a good idea. Is this correct?

A 10% increase per week sounds reasonable. How to build up your training depends on things like your age, your starting fitness and what you're aiming for. Your starting fitness may not have suffered too much in the 2 months off unless you were laid up.

I've just returned to serious cycling myself after an injury and I'm finding that despite having visibly lost muscle mass in the injured leg I can climb fairly well. In the past I've had a gap of 3 months off the bike and also found that I hadn't slipped back much. On both occasions my lung capacity had decreased a bit and my heart had to get used to the higher rate again, but both quickly returned close to the previous capacity.

Remember to give your body time to recuperate after having pushed it. If the 45 min/day is commuting then take it easy for a couple of days after a saturday ride when you have pushed yourself. The body needs protein (meat, nuts etc.) after rigorous exercise to repair and build muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Also review your set up on your bike.

It may give rise to problems if the set up is stressing the knee.

Consider dropping saddle in easy build up stage by 0.5 inches and slowly build it back up over a few weeks.

While you may want to burn the miles, wait until your body says you can do it. Not your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Yes hopefully I haven't lost too much fitness then. I would have thought it would all have gone (probably has anyway for me!)

Nice tip about dropping the saddle. Its just made me think, I injured my knee after just having brought the saddle up as high as I could...perhaps it contributed to the injury. Its still at the height it was when I injured it and ive been on it once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What sort of knee injury. there would be dangers in returning too early depending on the injury- was it a simple knock , or did you rupture a tendon or ligament??

Advertisement