Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jesus has been found ...!

• 27-02-2007 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Jesus tomb found, says film-maker

A documentary claims this is the ossuary of Jesus Christ
    Jesus had a son named Judah and was buried alongside Mary Magdalene, according to a new documentary by Hollywood film director James Cameron.
    The film examines a tomb found near Jerusalem in 1980 which producers say belonged to Jesus and his family.

Speaking in New York, the Oscar-winning Titanic director said statistical tests and DNA analysis backed this view.

But Mr Cameron's claim has been attacked by archaeologists and theologians as unfounded.

Archaeologists said that the burial cave was probably that of a Jewish family with similar names to that of Jesus.

But Mr Cameron said the combination of names found on the tombs convinced him of their heritage.

Samples tested

Israeli construction workers building an apartment complex in Jerusalem's East Talpiot district first uncovered 10 of the 2,000-year-old ossuaries - or limestone coffins - in a tomb in March 1980.

According to the Israel Antiquities Authority, six of those coffins were marked with the names Mary; Matthew; Jesua son of Joseph; Mary; Jofa (Joseph, Jesus' brother); and Judah son of Jesua.

It doesn't get bigger than this

James Cameron
    Hollywood film director

Another grave said by producers to be of Mary Magdalene convinced researchers of the truth of their find, Mr Cameron said at a New York news conference.

Unveiling his documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus, Mr Cameron said the chances of finding that combination of names together was like finding a grave marked Ringo next to others marked John, Paul and George.

"Mariamene is Mary Magdalene - that's the Ringo, that's what sets this whole film in motion," he said.

Christian contradiction?

The documentary asserts that tests on samples from two of the coffins show Jesus and Mary Magdalene were likely to have been buried in them and were a couple.

The film-makers used this finding to claim that the coffin marked "Judah son of Jesua" contains the son of Jesus and Mary.

But they said the discovery of the tomb does not undermine the key Christian belief that Jesus was resurrected three days after his death.

Academic Stephen Pfann, a scholar at the University of the Holy Land in Jerusalem, said he did not expect Christians to accept the film's findings.

"I don't think that Christians are going to buy into this," said Mr Pfann, who was interviewed by the film-makers.

"But sceptics, in general, would like to see something that pokes holes into the story that so many people hold dear."

Findings refuted

Israeli archaeologist Amos Kloner, who was among the first to examine the tomb when it was first discovered, said the names marked on the coffins were very common at the time.

Film director James Cameron produced the documentary
    "I don't accept the news that it was used by Jesus or his family," he told the BBC News website.

"The documentary filmmakers are using it to sell their film."

Mr Cameron showed two of the coffins at the news conference.

"It doesn't get bigger than this," he said in an earlier press release.

"We've done our homework; we've made the case; and now it's time for the debate to begin."

Local residents said they were pleased with the attention the tomb has drawn.

"It will mean our house prices will go up because Christians will want to live here," one woman said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

****. Does this mean no easter?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So the Second Coming is to be a clone? We meet God by playing God?

Fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    ****. Does this mean no easter eggs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Statistical tests of what? DNA analysis of what? The Easter Bunny?

Another sinking proposition from the Director of the Titanic?

• Advertisement

Local residents said they were pleased with the attention the tomb has drawn.

"It will mean our house prices will go up because Christians will want to live here," one woman said.
    Any one else find that funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seems like bullsh*t to me. Even if it's true religious people will just start sidestepping that and saying "god left a clone on earth as a test".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Rabies wrote:
    Any one else find that funny.
    The guy presenting Morning Ireland has just mentioned that exact point now :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    The guy presenting Morning Ireland has just mentioned that exact point now :)
    He must read Boards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In his next documentary, James Cameron discusses how Jessica Alba and Arnold Schwartzenegger travelled back in time to sink the titanic, thus completing a pre-destination paradox and saving the timeline of the world and ensuring that he got to become a director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't understand how DNA tests proved it was Jesus and co. Unless they tested it against the wine after it was blessed at mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, I found Jesus a long time ago.
    Actually, I found him a bit dry and sinewy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Clone Jebus FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Zombie Jesus > Clone Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

ScumLord wrote:
    I don't understand how DNA tests proved it was Jesus and co. Unless they tested it against the wine after it was blessed at mass?
    Ha! That's genius, I never would've thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

So thats where he was hidding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I think james cameraon pretty much thinks he is god anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

So who's going to be the first to risk a ban in the Christianity forum by suggesting a clone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Who's going ot be the first to risk a ban on AH by suggesting trolling other forums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

It's the rapture
    We've all been...left below :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

like i say to everyone who asks me have you found Jesus.

(panicked tone)"Where did you last see him and what did he look like!"

Usually leaves them slightly stunned so i can make my escape:)

On a more serious note what poor person just got dug up for no reason.

Hunter S Thomson had the right idea no one will be digging him up in a few centuries.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I dunno the possibility of being dug up in a few hundred years would make me certainly think about what to wear, or should I pack gifts, should I arrange for a good bone polishing every 50 years after dead, you wanna look your best for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

This find can only mean one thing... Arnold Schwarzenegger is Jesus

Let me explain:

Ok, James Cameron wrote and directed Terminator 2.... or did he???*

In Terminator 2 James Cameron resurrects Arnold Schwarzenegger using bits of him found by scientists from the original movie...

Ok, if that isn't enough evidence for you (I'm sold already anyway), is it a coincidence that the movie's sub heading is... Judgement Day?

Therefore, the only reasonable conclusion that can be derived is that: Arnold is Jesus and James Cameron is God.

*(Just checked IMDB, turns out he did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

GreenHell wrote:
    I dunno the possibility of being dug up in a few hundred years would make me certainly think about what to wear, or should I pack gifts, should I arrange for a good bone polishing every 50 years after dead, you wanna look your best for that kind of thing.
    Well personally, I plan on a spring loaded coffin so I can jump out and surprise my gravediggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No way: cremation. its like flying, except your dead and made out of a cloud of carbon molecules.

Or take a cue from that commercial and get processed into a diamond :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

so does this mean the bible is a big book of lies :)

wasn't his body supposed to be missing when all the dudes went into the tomb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

smemon wrote:

Those crazy dudes, in thier whacked out state, forgot to look under the gravestone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

This little exercise from James Cameron will indeed seperate the Sheep from the Goats!!! http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/false_religions.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

smemon wrote:
    so does this mean the bible is a big book of lies :)

No you see what really happened is that when they came to the tomb Jesus was up in heaven collecting supplies for the long wait for when he was supposed to rise again. Unfortunately when he got back with everything and went in to make sure nobody was in the tomb to see him sneaking back in with his supplies, someone walked by and noticed that the door to the tomb was open and regretfully closed it behind him trapping him inside with no food or water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Unveiling his documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus, Mr Cameron said the chances of finding that combination of names together was like finding a grave marked Ringo next to others marked John, Paul and George.
    I know someone who was working in Portugal a good while back with three guys called Paul, John and George. His name's Ingo.

Something being slightly less ordinary than usual doesn't mean that it's impossible or even all that unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who's the Biblical Ringo in the analogy Cameron is drawing?

I was under the impression that Jesus was a common name in those days.

NutJob wrote:
    On a more serious note what poor person just got dug up for no reason.
    Even if it isn't the so called tomb of christ. There still would be a reason to dug it up for historical value. Learn more about the past, and who the people in the tomb were.

Advertisement