Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial or Private insurance?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

whats the story with commercial insurance? i was thinking of getting a van to go travelling around europe in for a laugh, i rang up my insurance company im insured on my car with for a quote and was put through to commercial and was told id have to be a tradesman to get insurance on a van:eek: is this the same with every ins. company or what? Who will give me insurance on a van without being a tradesman and what is the situation with commercial and private, what's the difference?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

anyone know about this? Any van drivers out there who arent tradesmen? who are u insured with?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

i was thinking of getting a van to go travelling around europe in for a laugh
    That's probably your problem right there, Ive a commercial policy myself and a few friends of mine have had serious trouble convincing insurance companies they are in a profession that warrants the van. It's messy and I dont really understand it tbh.

Quinn Direct's website should give you a commercial quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

that wud be sweet, but I have an offer of a very cheap van from my uncle, so I just need to get insured.

savman, do u know if u can insure a van on a private policy? why does it have to be commercial if you wont be using it commercially?

what's the advantage of commercial?

will any insurance company insure it either privately or commercial without being a tradesman:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

savman, do u know if u can insure a van on a private policy?
    It is possible, you just have to be persistant and a bit economical with the truth. Not that I'd condone such a thing ;);)
    why does it have to be commercial if you wont be using it commercially?
    Because they are commercial vehicles!
    what's the advantage of commercial?
    Advantage? Meh. As far as Im concerned a policy is a policy whatever name they put on it. The vehicle still has to be insured for its useage, if you transport heavy loads they see this as commercial activity and will require a lot of arguing from you to make them think otherwise.
    will any insurance company insure it either privately or commercial without being a tradesman:confused:
    Yes. Grab the yellow pages and boil the kettle ;)

Like I said I don't understand what their criteria are for commercial policies, but there's a lot about that insurance industry that's a mystery to most of us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have 2 diff policys 1 for the car an 1 for the van, under law i think you are entitled to both, try the guys over in the courtroom forums

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This whole driving a van privately thing is a joke.
    First you have to tax it privately (at the full rate of course) and then you have to insure it commercially ...riduculous.

But wait until you try and tell your insurance company that you want to take it outside the country for more than thre months ...surprise, surprise ...no cover for that either .

Advertisement