Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting php working?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Right I decided I want to learn some php.
    So I have mysql installed on my pc and php5.0 is on there aswell though Ive no idea how to actually use all those files on it.

Anyway Ive apache jakarta tomcat 4.1 that I used to use for testing java servlets.
    Will it work for running php pages or will I need to download a different kind of apache server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

could just be easier to use Easyphp or alike.
    Easyphp give you all three rolled into one interface.
    then again it's not PHP5 it's only at the version before but it doesn't take much to upgrade that yourself.
    i learned PHP by myslef from web tutorials and stuff and found it quite easy to grasp

just my two centavos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Google 'php tutorials', theres loads out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

quinnd6 wrote:
    So I have mysql installed on my pc and php5.0 is on there aswell though Ive no idea how to actually use all those files on it.

Anyway Ive apache jakarta tomcat 4.1 that I used to use for testing java servlets.
    Will it work for running php pages or will I need to download a different kind of apache server?

You can't currently use PHP 5 with Tomcat according to the Tomcat Wiki

What I'd recommend is something like XAMPP. You can use this with either PHP 4 or 5 (both come bundled, and there is a utility to switch between the 2), and it's literally almost extract and run (In fact it is that simple if you put it into a top level directory).

The main reason for recommending this is that if you get fed up of PHP after a week, it's a simple deletion to remove all the stuff, as opposed to an involved uninstall.

Just be aware that if you have anything listening on port 80 already, you will have to stop that first, as XAMPP will not be able to bind to the port. There's pretty good documentation for XAMPP out there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You could use something like WAMP or others suggested.

Apache can handle the php files and you could use a tool like mod_jk to forward jsp/servlet requests to tomcat... get the best of both worlds :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chrisranjana

quinnd6 wrote:

Are you getting any errors or is php source code being displayed instead of executing ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement