Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed Please

Options
  • 27-02-2007 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey folks,

This is my first post on boards so hello to all.

I have a question. I do a small bit of Clay pigeon shooting with a mate of mine. I want to get into it a bit more. So the next step is to get my own gun. Now my situation is that my father has an old gun that was given to him by his grandfather. He has the restricted licence for vermin etc. Can I transfer his licence to my name for a new gun and maybe get the unristricted licence for Game shooting etc. Im new to the whole shooting scene so Im not too sure of the ins and outs of it.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I'm afraid you can't transfer a license , everyone has to apply in their own right.
    What you could do if he no longer has an interest in shooting is the following..

You really should join a gun club.

Have a look around the gun shops for something you like and ask if they will take a trade in, then get your father to take his shotgun to the gun dealer and agree the price for you new gun .

The dealer will issue your father a note to say that he has purchased his shotgun and your father needs to hand in that note , with his license , to your local Garda station at which point he will be out of the firearms loop and will have essentially canceled his license.

The dealer will also issue you a note stating the make, caliber and serial number of your new shotgun , You take this to your local Garda station along with any proof of membership of gun clubs , security arrangements etc...and apply for a full sporting license for your new shotgun.

Then you wait for the license to be issued and when it is you can bring it to the gun shop , pay the balance of any money owed on your shotgun , and bring it home.

Of course ... more than one person can license the same firearm , so if your father wishes he can also license the new shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 marooned

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Jaycee its a little more simple than that surely if you father has the gun licensed then theres no problem go down to the garda station with you father (bring the cert) and ask to speak to the firearms officer and explain what you want to do.

You will have to apply for a license for that shotgun they will then issue you a new cert (providing you meet all the requirements) and once it comes up for renewal your father can either renew his which would mean both of you have a license to shoot the gun or he can just not renew it and you have the only license for the gun.

One thing to keep in mind that if you want to shoot clays its probably not that suitable a gun and consistantly firing alot of rounds through it will damage it. If you say what area your in people can advise you of a clay shoot near you where you can go some will have gun shops at the shoot where you can try out the gun and purchase a new one which imo would be a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

psittacosis Jaycee its a little more simple than that surely if you father has the gun licensed then theres no problem go down to the garda station with you father (bring the cert) and ask to speak to the firearms officer and explain what you want to do.

I hear what your saying Psittacosis, except the original question involved transferring his fathers licence to his name.. Not possible.

He also mentioned transferring it to a new gun, so we have two different issues here .

1: The requirement for him to apply for a licence in his own right .
    2: The procedure for the purchase and licencing of a new gun.
    Can I transfer his licence to my name for a new gun and maybe get the unristricted licence for Game shooting etc.

Hence the somewhat long winded , step by step guide...

Fair enough missed that just making the point that going through a dealer isnt necessary might save him a few euros. Maybe the poster might make it clearer exaclty what he intends to do and might get a straight foward answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 marooned

Sorry for the confusion Lads. As i said i am new to this.

I'll try and clarify a little.

My father owns a gun which he doesn't use any more and it's still licensed.
    I would like to take ownership of the gun. (This is where I thought I may be able to transfer the licence). As it was passed down from my grandfather to my father.

At this point the gun wouldn't be in a usable condition not for my purposes anyway. So i was thinking that I would get to 'decommissioned' as such as an antique for display purposes but would want to replace it with a new or second hand gun.

Not sure if it's possible.

Would I be better just getting permission from two land owner and going down that route?

For you to take ownership of the gun you have to license it so either what jaycee said or what i said not being a prick here but the way i said is easier no tooing and froing with a dealer just direct with the guards.

I dont know about getting it decommissioned but i would say its more hassle than its worth you will have to find someone the guards aprove of and someone willing to do that and you will still have to licence it even though it cant be used its a bit of a gray area. Unless you really want to hold on to it i would either give or sell if you can to a dealer or i think you might be able to drop it into the guards if you remember the thing where they were letting you hand them in dont know if its still going.

For a new gun same process you have to buy a gun from a dealer process is
    -Put deposit down and get details of the gun off dealer
    -Go to guards apply for license
    -Wait
    -Receive license and pay for it
    -Bring license to dealer and collect gun

I would recommend you go to courtlough or somewhere like that its a clay shooting ground where you can try before you buy and get a feel for the sport.

Its worth mentioning that the guards will not just hand you out a license you have to meet certain criteria the main one being that you have a legitimate reason for holding a firearms license which at the moment would be target shooting (clays) or hunting (game).

For clay shooting you will require membership of a club and for hunting you will require a reasonable amount of permission to shoot over usually they just require two letters from land holders stating they allow you to use their land and the acreage

There is also security requirments most FO (firearms officers) will look for a gun safe for a shotgun and this is usually enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

It's not that hard to do the decomm job yourself.Go to the FAO,ask him/her what the specs are for a decomissioned firearm
    It is usually; the firing pin removed,
    the chambers blocked permantly,with either steel pins thru the breech areas or welded up fully,or discs welded onto the breech face.
    Barrel drilled at least six times with appropriate cal to the gun holes[so in a shotgun, 6 9mm holes per barrel.You can do this under the foregrip for apperance sake.
    Breech/bolt faces cut off @40deg angle.
    Once that is done you have a high tech club that still needs a liscense.:rolleyes: Or if you dont want to actually take up shooting and just want a ornament,this is usually an acceptable reason to aSuper for a deact liscense.Again,this varies on district to district.

Advertisement