Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW or Merc

Options
  • 27-02-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I am changing jobs and will be on the road quite a bit. The company are willing to pay all fuel expenses as long as its diesel so the time has come to sell my wonderful '02 530i (its on carzone!).
    What I am thinking about is 1 of the following;
    '06 320d sport
    '06 520d sport
    '04/05 530d
    '04/05 E220/270 A/Garde

Does anyone have any experience of these, good or bad?
    Is there any sites where I can read users reviews/comments on these?

I have heard bad things about quality of the merc and electrical problems with the 5 series. This has only been from 1 or 2 people so I would like to get broader feel for what they are like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

richieg wrote:
    The company are willing to pay all fuel expenses as long as its diesel

If that's the case, you might as well go for the most powerful car on your list, the 530d. You won't be disappointed, even coming from your 530i. Did you ever drive one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're over 50, get the Merc (Runs and hides from the ensuing flamewar)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

530d for me!
    Would your budget stretch to an E60 535d? Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

530d ... A dream to drive and plenty of poke

I have a 320d myself and very impressed, but an extra 1000cc would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote:
    If you're over 50, get the Merc (Runs and hides from the ensuing flamewar)

I'd say the average age of the first owner of either car is over 50 ;)

The Merc is an excellent car too, more comfortable than the BMW. The engine wins it for the 530d imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JohnCleary wrote:
    530d ... A dream to drive and plenty of poke

I have a 320d myself and very impressed, but an extra 1000cc would be sweet

You should see the long term plans for the 320d engine, it's very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The only time I’d be happy to get into a merc is when (and no time soon I hope) I'm encased in pine.

I’d prefer the 3 series – I’ve been and done the big cars (Audi A6) and it’s downsizing from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

BMW. Having gone from owning BMW-Merc-BMW and I've driven various models from both marques. I'll stick with BMW unless I can afford an AMG Merc in the future.

I did like my Merc and it did everything very well, I just like BMW's more :D

Oh yeah, 530d...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

kbannon wrote:
    Would your budget stretch to an E60 535d? Yummy!

My thoughts exactly! was a passenger in an estate one of these lately, fantastic car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

bigkev49 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly! was a passenger in an estate one of these lately, fantastic car!

Any of those BMWS. BMWs are hard, Mercs are soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Thanks guys
    Any truth behind the wiring issues mentioned on the E 60 5 series.

Does anyone know of any websites that owners post opinions/experiences of these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

any link to your 530?

Ok guys I'm down to a '06 320D or '0 530D. I can get either for approx 45K.

Which do you think will be worth more in say 2-3 years time, 1 year old 3 series or 3 year old 5 series

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cat amoungst the pigeons

A6 2.7TDi 6speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd go for the 3.0 TDi A6 quicker than the 2.7 I reckon. It's a nice car to drive, comfortable. Better over the bumps than the 5 series, but then not as sharp on the steering. Still a good car though.
    Never drove a E320 CDI, so can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

richieg wrote:

Which do you think will be worth more in say 2-3 years time, 1 year old 3 series or 3 year old 5 series
    I'd say a 1 year old 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

richieg wrote:
    Thanks guys
    Any truth behind the wiring issues mentioned on the E 60 5 series.

Does anyone know of any websites that owners post opinions/experiences of these cars?

www.carsurvey.org

www.honestjohns.co.uk

www.parkers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

richieg wrote:

You'll take a hammering on the 530. eur1342 p.a. car tax will see to that.

Buy the 2.0 and spec the yazoo out of it - and I really mean that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tax is 1109 on 530 not 1349
    I think if I go for a 5 it will be 3.0 and if I go for 2.0 litre it will be 3 series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

richieg wrote:

what about a 2005 320d with leather for 37K

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=446617

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I drive an 06 520d M-sport and very happy with it - I do about 40k kms/yr. While the 530d is obviously much more powerful, you will only notice it as a bigger kick in the back when the turbo kicks in. Even in the 520d I am quite happy with the kick in the back that it gives once the turbo kicks in. Being honest I would not be overly pushed about switching to a 530d and paying the extra as the turbo lag will exist in both and it is probably the one downside to these motors. I would definitely switch to a 535d (maybe saving a little longer or going down a year). The twin turbo does away with any noticeable turbo lag.

Specifically on the 2006 520d - if you get a later model it will have an AUX input for an ipod etc while the earlier 2006 models may not (may not be a concern to you)
    I have an auto and I do drive a little aggressively - I manage around 40-42 mpg (half motorway/half city).
    I have PDC and find it the biz - definitely worth having
    Run Flat Tyres are a problem not necessarily from the comfort angle but more due to the fact that if you get a puncture it is recommeded that you get a new tyre (320 euro!)

Get back to me if you have any specific queries on the 520d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

what about a 520d?

http://www.carsite.co.uk/used/BMW/520/520d-M-Sport-4dr/2005/LB55HYF

added: ahh the bazman got there before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You won't go wrong with a 530d, I've had three of them and no problems, the 535d is even better if you can justify the extortionate road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

junkyard wrote:
    You won't go wrong with a 530d, I've had three of them and no problems, the 535d is even better if you can justify the extortionate road tax.
    Road tax is the same on the 535d as the 530d, as the cc's are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

BMW 530D would be the one for me. If you'r e into cars & didn't mind paying the 3.0L tax on your 530i then it's definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 320D will be easier of the two to sell afterwards in Ireland assuming they do not have intergalactic mileage on them at the time. The 530D would simply be too expensive to tax and insure for your average Irish motorist.

If your not worried about all that then the 530D will probably be a nicer cruiser in comparison. Just make sure it has a good spec especially leather seats and the M Teck sport pack if possible. The 5 Series looks terrible without them imo.

Advertisement