Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Strangers...

Options
  • 27-02-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Did the following happen to anybody else. I live in the Park, and on Friday afternoon, around 4:30, my wife was in the house on her own, when the door rang. She answered it and there was 2 well dressed Non-Irish men at the door. They gave her some talk about working in the area or something and asked her could she spare a few mins. When she said ok, they tried to walk into the house but she stopped them and asked what they were doing, they said, oh were gonna come in and talk to you about it. However, she told them to get back out there, so they basically fecked off.

I'm sure it was probably totally innocent and they probably just misunderstood the situation but she was a little shook up by this.

Did anybody else experience this, any idea what they were doing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

my wife told me about two people came at that time holding some offers about some insurance policy and it moved ok without any strange things; just they gave her the offer and the phone number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It may just have been a misunderstanding, but I have had some very pushy salespeople call to the house since we arrived, not least a guy from TalkTalk (Carphone Warehouse) who started to argue with me when I told him I wasn't interested in changing phone company. Great technique.

If you're in any doubt at all, just say no and ask them to leave. If you have serious concerns, call the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I totally understand, I'm sure it wasn't anything sinister either but I think their idea of door to door situations leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

It sounds like the same two gentlemen who called to my door that evening, around 4 p.m. - I thought at first they might have been hitting the election campaign trail early ! Anyways, bottom line, they tried to "step in" to which I naturally objected - I have no idea what they were selling as they insisted on being in the house first.

I told them I was in the middle of preparing a meal for (big, burly) partner and politely told them I wasn't interested in any further communication - that didn't deter them however, they said they would come back and one of them noted my house number.

Whilst all totally innocent I am sure, I live on my own (plus two dogs) and its the type of thing that can make a gal a tad nervous - to anyone who knows me, send me a text before you ring the doorbell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

we used to get a lot of callers to the house. when the talk talk guy called i told him my work supplied the phone - which they did at the time - but he still insisted on looking at my phone bill! so i said ok, closed and locked the door on him and ran out to mr matti who was in the garden and told him there was someone at the door for him! mr matti had the poor guy demented with questions and stories and they must have been there for 10 or 15 minutes. i was listening and watching at the window and the guy was nearly out on the footpath trying to get away! we never had another caller to the door! was funny at the time but i know its not always like that! i was just lucky not to be on my own at the time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I remember that talk talk guy, ginger top if i remember correctly, went mad when i wouldnt sign up, ( he was politley asked to leave), i also had a young caller to my door about 6 months ago, very suspect.

Advertisement