Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys Day

Options
  • 27-02-2007 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

Ok folks..

Heading to the capital for Paddys Day this year. Im just wondering if ya's have any tips on the best/worst places to be for this day of craziness! I know everywhere will probably be mobbed but as long as the craics good i dont mind-its expected!!:D Any ideas about the prices of drink etc? Will it be any more expensive than usual? Anything at all you can comment on would be great..im just trying to get the jist of how the day will pan out!

Muchos Thankos!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Let me see now. Your a Donegal Lass, staying in Galway.....Mmmmm, stay there!.

Dublin goes alittle crazy on Paddy's day, and a little nasty that night. However if your coming stay in the city centre as you won't get a taxi too easy that night. I'd stay out of Templebar and head up Georges St. And Camden St. where its alittle more civilised.

And at all costs keep away from the top end of O'Connell St and Parnell St that night. In fact, stay over on the south side. And that advice is coming from a Northsider!.

As regards beer prices, some will chance their arm, without a doubt and some bar's and club will increase their prices after 11pm regardless what day it is.

Coming to Dublin on Paddy's day is good craic, just keep your wits about ya!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

cool thanks!!

In relation to places to stay, the BF lives in Celbridge, and i have mates in Drumcondra and on Pearse St. so hopefully i should be grand! :)

Are you staying in Dub or getting out of it for Paddys??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm a big pro Dublin fella. Unfortunately Paddy's night is not my scene. people who can't really handle their booz getting drunk too early, fighting and puking by eleven.... Mairt is right, stick to the georges st. strip, good craic there.

I'm off to the North West!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I concur with what the others have said. Dublin is not the nicest place to be on St. Patrick's night. Come in for the parade and the craic during the day, but head out of town, a little closer to where you are staying, that night. Town is a mess and is very difficult to get out of. There might be a sing song or some music or some other craic in one of the locals or the nearest GAA club. You could even get your mates to come out to and stay over in Celbridge, if there is room for them.

yea have a mate coming with me! cool guys thanks will bear all that in mind! Cant stand the drunk/puking at 11 :D!

Hey lightening, where in the NorthWest are you headed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Might be heading to Inis Méain for Paddy's. Can't get any more Irish than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Seriously, avoid the city centre on Paddys Day like the plague, its a lot more trouble than its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

went to aranmore island of the coast of donegal last year for paddies day..great craic...the pubs were a good laugh....the locals know how to drink...no parade though.....and the locals were a good laugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The Parade and the All-Ireland Club Finals in Croke Park are the only things to head in to Dublin to see. I was in Liverpool on St. Patrick's night last year. It's a big event over there too. A gang of us went over, met some friends there, and had a great weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Hey lightening, where in the NorthWest are you headed?

Surfing in Sligo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Donegal lass I'm getting OUT of Dublin for paddys day!! I'm heading to your neck of the woods in Galway city for a bit of the craic...ther's only so much you can do on paddys day in Dublin...and the parade makes the whole city segregated...which is really annoying when you have to push a mile down the street through massive crowds just to cross the street!!

Where would YOU recommend in Galway? (not to hijack the thread or whatever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 stevo86

im headin to new york for patricks weekend, heard its mad over there so it shud b a gud laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I went to Dublin for Paddy's Day once. And only once. Luckily we headed out of the city centre that night for a house party. I also advise people to stay away from Dublin that night. Though the day was fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

stevo86 wrote:
    im headin to new york for patricks weekend, heard its mad over there so it shud b a gud laugh
    Boston is great craic on Paddy's Day as well. And Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lightening wrote:
    Unfortunately Paddy's night is not my scene. people who can't really handle their booz getting drunk too early
    The problem is the combined effect of 3 days drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Victor wrote:
    The problem is the combined effect of 3 days drinking.
    Yeah - that's a lot when you're only fourteen :eek:

Seriously though, I'd avoid the city centre on St. Patrick's Day unless being surrounded by vomiting, p***ed-up, aggressive teenagers in tracksuits is your thing

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

free2fly wrote:
    Boston is great craic on Paddy's Day as well. And Chicago.

Chicago had their parade yesterday (Sunday 11th). A unexpected knock-on effect of the recent changes made to US Daylight Savings Time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Rody Boland's in Rathmines if you're Southside or Quinn's in Drumcondra if you're Northside will be great craic, plenty of culchies and there is a good buzz all day. If you're looking for more Donegal folk then head to The Portobello on the canal!

funny those are the exact three pubs that came up when discussing it with a few mates!! :D

Advertisement