Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia in Jamaica

Options
  • 27-02-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

These photos say more than any words can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Thats crazy, is it for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

a ha, yea sure. Theres nothing in those images to indicate what that was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, this article might help with some background information.

In those photos two allegedly gay men were seen shopping in a pharmacy and an angry lynch mob quickly gathered outside. It was only the intervention of the police that saved them from serious injury or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Ah yes. Remember when raggae-singer Shabba Ranks' UK tour was cancelled after he was banned from every single venue his management had booked because he didn't know that advocating homophobic murder isn't quite as acceptable in the UK as in Jamaica?

Edit: Or am I showing my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Frightening:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And here I thought Jamos were a peace loving crowd. :eek:

biko wrote:
    And here I thought Jamos were a peace loving crowd. :eek:
    That image came about largely from the pro-peace campaigning of prominent Jamaicans, in particular the musician Bob Marley.

That campaigning came about because of the large amount of violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Didn't he have the boom-boom-bye something song?

I vaguely remember him being taken to task on The Word (really showing age too :D ) about it too or am I mistaken?
    Talliesin wrote:
    Ah yes. Remember when raggae-singer Shabba Ranks' UK tour was cancelled after he was banned from every single venue his management had booked because he didn't know that advocating homophobic murder isn't quite as acceptable in the UK as in Jamaica?

Edit: Or am I showing my age?

stovelid wrote:
    Didn't he have the boom-boom-bye something song?
    No, but it was commenting on that song that triggered the oral-pedal-insertion incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Well homosexuality is still illegal in Jamacia as far as I am aware. The Archbishop of Kingston wanted to ban Elton Johns vist there. The Anglican church in most of West Indies and African countries have a very old testament few on homosexuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

God, that mob reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055073626

Advertisement