Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is NTL's router wireless?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm thinking about switching to NTL for phone and BB, as I already have their digital TV package. Trouble is I need wireless BB as we share an apartment.

Is the NTL router you receive wireless, or will I have to connect my Linksys WAG54GS to some kind of cable modem that they give me?

I wont be switching anything over though, until they stop over charging me on my bill. They've not included my new customer discount for the last 4 months!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Their modem can be linked direct to your PC via standard net point or the same point can be stuck I the back of a wireless router so it is broadcast. If you have a router already keep that one.

WORD OF WARNING:

I work from home (most days) and have cable and b/b from them I rely on the b/b – it went dead on Tuesday 20th – general fault in the area – which resulted in a local problem on Wednesday – swore it would be fixed on Thursday – rang Friday – promise fixed Monday – rang Monday –

‘we have managed to get an appointment for you – April 18th’

50 days time??????

Winkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

Thanks for advice, but I'm going to take my chances, I think. I'm with BT and it they're no great shakes either.

If it all works out I'll be saving about E360+ a year, so it's worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have NTL 6 months now and have only had two outages that lasted maybe 2 hours each.

If you request a wireless router when you order, you will probably get one. But as it stands, you get a small ethernet one, Which I had to hook up to a wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is there a plug on the router the give you so you can plug your existing phone into it or whats the story with how the phone service works?

save 360 per year? thats pretty good.
    thinking of switching myself from BT and think i'll save between €160-€280 depending on how their offers work...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An ADSL based router is no use. YOu need an Ethernet WAN port version of the WiFi/Router box as the NTL modem is just a modem with Ethernet. Make sure you tell them you have no USB. (some UK NTL customers get USB only Modems, which can only be attached direct to one PC).

The Broadband Cable Modem will have one or two phone ports. Mostly cable broadband suppliers do not supply routers though that may change, they are usually Modems only.

They *might* of course supply a Modem/Phone/Router/WiFi box, such things do exist. Don't buy one from a 3rd party (e.g. eBay) though as NTL will only enable a cable modem they supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement