Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet, any good for torrents?

• 27-02-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Well, after almost 2 years of being with IBB my connection just up and disappeared a couple of weeks ago, and they don't seem to be in any rush to fix it!!! Out of curiosity, I went to their site and input my address into their coverage checker thing. It told me that they have no services available for my area! WTF, I've had it for nearly 2 years and now it's not available to me, thanks for telling me guys. Useless plonkers!!! Anyways, back on topic, I'm gonna get rid of IBB and was thinking of getting the 4MB Magnet service. Anyone know if they're any good for bittorrent, any traffic shaping/port blocking going on with them? Any other providers anyone could recommend. I'd prefer to keep away from any wireless options, as I don't trust it after the whole IBB debaucle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I also went from IBB (what a pain in the neck that was!) to Magnet and I'm delighted with Magnet so far! However, I haven't tried downloading from bittorrent yet so I couldn't tell you if it worked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

magnet are great for bittorrent, the ports are not blocked and i have never noticed any slow downs during peak hours

• Registered Users Posts: 47 5ftGiant

Magnet are excellent for torrents..... considering you get a extra (sometimes lots) of extra Megs download/upload there is never an issue with torrent transfer rates and normal internet browsing and downloading does not affect the torrent stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,922 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well getting fed up of UPC screwing around with my broadband connection from crap speeds on their 6meg service to blocking torrent traffic. But when I look at the Pricing for Magnet it would just cost too much :( Pricing for NTL's Broadband max is 40 Euros a month and Magnet is 38 Euros a month with an additional line rental of 24 Euros a month total 60 Euros!!!! I don't think so

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 5ftGiant

From my experience with Broadband in Ireland, if i had the option to get Magnet DSL at home, despite the extra charge i would jumpp straight into signing up...... its a top quality connection that does more than just says on the tin.... we have got up to 14/16 MB download at times. My advice, pay the line rental, it will be worth it.... Contention free :)

• Advertisement

Magnet Intro is only €52 / month incl. line rental

the extra €10 for Magnet Lite is the call-package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

JNive wrote:
    Magnet Intro is only €52 / month incl. line rental

the extra €10 for Magnet Lite is the call-package.

When will magnet or smart get to the freaking Palmerstown exchange? I send them both 2 e-mails a week and they never respond :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

When will magnet or smart get to the freaking Palmerstown exchange? I send them both 2 e-mails a week and they never respond :(

Your out of luck with magnet, they are focusing on corporate now. They wont be adding new exchanges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Yeah I read that but there is an industrial estate right beside the exchange so who knows with Magnet it may still happen yet. Freaking Smart though, I have been waiting years! Ah well..

I'm delighted with Magnet although I had to get my line tweaked (relax interleaving) in order to get better pings for gaming. This meant a decrease in Download/Upload speeds (used to have 5Meg Down instead of 4Meg but it's now down to 3.3Meg). :(

Still happy though as the connection is always the same regardless what day/time it is! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I have a question about Magnet Line rental....

My apartment has built in fibre optic cables, i.e. ready for Magnet. Now they have put a letter in my post with the following offer:

- 60 TV & Radio Channels
    - 4 Meg Broadband
    - Telephone line (free line rental, no Eircom line required)

Free for the first 2 Months and then 30 Euro per month for the next 10 Months....

Yet on the magnet website their is a line rental of 24 Euro, so it the line rental only for those who require eircom line with Magnet, for people with Fibre optics their is no line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Easy Rider wrote:
    I have a question about Magnet Line rental....

<snip>

Yet on the magnet website their is a line rental of 24 Euro, so it the line rental only for those who require eircom line with Magnet, for people with Fibre optics their is no line rental?

Yip, you still have to pay the line rental. I don't fully understand their logic in charging for a thing called "line rental" given that people don't like having to pay it as a charge. You could query the fact they've stated free line rental on the offer and see what they say!

I have them in an ftth home, and the broadband is great, had to drop the tv package though, much to slow, unresponsive and for the price you have to pay very poor value compared to NTL or Sky.

A.

Yeah strange, thing is they did not do it at the start or at least advertise the 'line rental' funny that they charge you this and the boast 'no need for line rental' at the same time....

I am going to keep the NTL tv also, just get rid of their broadband....at 30 euro and 2 free months its not bad, I will just switch then to the broadband only package from magnet, not interested what their TV only heard bad things, plus sky sports is over priced etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I'm a bit confused by Magnets new direction. They say they're pulling away from the residential market and only focusing on "Fibre To The Home" developments. Does this mean they no longer provide for ADSL, as all I have at home is a regular eircom phone line? Smart isn't available in my area, so if I can't get Magnet all that's left is Eircom or BT or Digiweb and I've heard lots of horror storys about each of them. So, anyone know if Magnet are still providing they're regular old DSL over the phone line package still?

Yeah, mine has Fibre in the home so it would make sense that they are now sending me letters trying to get business back from NTL....Problem was when I moved in Magnet were also focusing on residential market with general phone lines and their service suffered, most people went for NTL even though the had fibre optics built in ready for Magnet service......now I am going to cancel my NTL subscriotion, was trying to find out the cancellation charge from them but nobody knew....they kept on asking if I wanted to cancel, I said I wanted to know the charge before I did that but nobody could answer! Idiots the lot of them....

they still provide the ADSL2+ package like always, there is only 2 differences.

To order you must now ring them as far as i know.
    Also, they are not advertisign the Magnet Entertainment 8mb + TV package for ADSL2+, however if you line supports at least 5mbps then if you contact them directly, they will provide the package to you.

Do they charge Line Rental for FTTH? Why? Line Rental is for Eircom phone lines. FTTH has nothing to do with Eircom...

And yes, you can still get Magnet if your Exchange is Magnet-enabled. By focusing on business lines I think they mean they've stopped upgrading exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm getting Magnet in a FTTH development (Northern Cross).

What's the story, they said it's not wireless?

I'll have to use an ethernet cable to the points in each room? this isn't really a good option, as the points aren't in good enough locations in each room.

Can I use an old eircom Netopia Wireless router to get around this problem?

If so, how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

seansouth wrote:
    Can I use an old eircom Netopia Wireless router to get around this problem?
    Yep if you get a wireless router you can provide wireless internet within range - ask them for a wireless router when ordering and if they don't have any just buy yourself one after it's installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't really understand that answer :o

With the FTTH there are ethernet ports in the walls in most rooms of the apartment. I have to just plug a ethernet cable from the laptop into these points to get the connection.

With a Wireless Netopia from eircom how can I get an apartment wide wireless connection from one of these points.

Magnet don't supply a wireless solution for the FTTH customers, according to two different sales reps I spoke to yesterday. They said 'There are ethernet points in every room, this is all we supply, you have to get your own wireless router'- I have an old Wireless Netopia from eircom which is working fine. How do I get the Magnet signal from an ethernet port on the wall into the router to distribute around the apartment?

• Advertisement

if the FTTH system uses the telsey modem without its router/NAT, just get a standard WiFi Router ( not an adsl one ) and plug the WAN port into any of the ethernet points. bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Well its a little bit harder than that ,youll still want to protect it a bit if you dont want some of your neighbours sharing in your investment!!

you'll need something like this rather than a modem:
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321925

exactly what i was referring to, since a modem wont work with magnet to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Are Magnet still good for torrents?
    If not, who are (except UPC who don't cover my area).
    And with these type of service providers, do I still have to pay line rental to Eircom on top?
    thanks.

Advertisement