Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are vehicles brought over on Ferry from UK registered?

Options
  • 27-02-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I am likely to be moving to Ireland soon, but in the meanwhile may be coming over for visits while sorting out things like accommodation. When I arrive on a ferry in Dublin, is my vehicle registered as it enters Ireland?

I ask because I'll be just about to hit the six month limit for VRT exemption when I finally make the final move, but I'm worried they might exclude the few weeks that I'm in Ireland on my UK plates before that, so was wondering. It's pathetic that a few weeks could cost me €3000! If I have to, I'm willing to come in from Belfast. Any ideas of what's required to prove the VRT exemption qualification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As you say you are only visiting. You are still a resident in England, therfore you should not be liable for the VRT until you actually move over. Also re-check the time limit, I tought it was 12 months, could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep you're not yet resident here, just visiting. You should be fine. Make sure you have solid proof that you have owned the car for 6 months while resident in the UK by the time you will register it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Saracen

Yep, defo 6 months. I'm just perplexed at what they seem to be asking for: fuel receipts, rent agreements, bills, and all manner of documentation. I don't keep that even when I'm properly resident, let alone organising a move! I'm just hoping I can get all these things together for them.

Also, is it 6 months prior to import or prior to my own move?

Anyone else on the procedures when arriving by ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Saracen wrote:
    Anyone else on the procedures when arriving by ferry?

Yeah, just drive off. You only need to advise the revenue until you become resident in Ireland. They won't know if you Irish, English, America or whatever. Once the car is taxed and insured in the UK and you can prove that you are a resident in the UK no problems.

When you are actually moving, contact the revenue then and let them know.
    www.revenue.ie this should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Saracen wrote:
    Yep, defo 6 months. I'm just perplexed at what they seem to be asking for: fuel receipts, rent agreements, bills, and all manner of documentation. I don't keep that even when I'm properly resident, let alone organising a move! I'm just hoping I can get all these things together for them.

Also, is it 6 months prior to import or prior to my own move?

They ask for all that to actually prove that you where living abroad and not chancing your arm and trying to avoid paying VRT. Do you not have wage slips to prove you where resident etc?

AFAIK It's 6 months from when you move, so you can't buy the car now and put it up on blocks and import 6 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Saracen

Well, I will likely be oncomeless for the few months leading up to my move, and as I mentioned, I may well be registered as an employee in Ireland a couple of months before the full move, so I'm not sure how that affects things. Basically, I will officially be employed but coming back and forth. But I'll have to try and work out what i can get hold of to prove my UK residency then.

Thanks.

Advertisement