Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nightlife in balbriggan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

When is the Pop-In opening again? Deli Burger has nothing on the food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Chinafoot wrote: »
    When is the Pop-In opening again? Deli Burger has nothing on the food there.

Aren't they owned by the same crowd? :confused:

pithater1 wrote: »
    Aren't they owned by the same crowd? :confused:

Yup, but the food in the Pop In was alway much nicer. Don't ask me why, it just was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Maybe that extra 100 yards walk from O'Shea's just made it seem nicer....

:)

blastman wrote: »
    Maybe that extra 100 yards walk from O'Shea's just made it seem nicer....

:)

Haha! You might be on to something there! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 balbrigganseye

Back to the topic of nightlife. Been away for a few years - came back last month- so i went out with a few of the girls on friday night. Had a few drinks in de bruins. Dont know what is going on there - there seems to be a seperate bar downstairs run by different people, weird even for balbriggan. Then we went up to the harvest bar - has not changed in years , you know what you are going to get in there -ok.
    I was hoping to end the night on a high and go for a dance in the nightclub - HOME. Well it was home I was going after 10 mins in the place. This place is a stinking hellhole. I thought that things might have changed over the years and it might have kept up with the times . But unfortunately not. Yet again the people of Balbriggan are being sold short. Well its Skerries or Drogheda for me next weekend - pity:mad: Is it just me or is HOME really smelly - even by nightclub standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irishpaul70

While I am staying in Balbriggan with the intent to find a place to permantly live in Dublin city ... had this thought....

has anyone done any decent reviews of the pubs/club/things to do in Balbriggan?

So to the Balbriggan crew - PM if you fancy a meet up some time (evenings or weekends) one evening and we can take turns on the different pubs/places and create a up-to-date review.

ps - what is open at 11pm Friday night?

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

So to the Balbriggan crew - PM if you fancy a meet up some time (evenings or weekends) one evening and we can take turns on the different pubs/places and create a up-to-date review.

Paul
    There is nothing to review to be honest. ALL the pubs are den holes of iniquity.

ps - all pubs are open at 11pm Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There is nothing to review to be honest. ALL the pubs are den holes of iniquity.

Some people may consider that a good thing, the rest of us have fortunately grown out of that phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

:confused:
    While I am staying in Balbriggan with the intent to find a place to permantly live in Dublin city ... had this thought....

has anyone done any decent reviews of the pubs/club/things to do in Balbriggan?

Paul

Ok, I will give you a quick review of the pubs I have frequented (ok so I like a drink)

In my opinion

The Milestone- working mans pub-Pint good, no trouble ever
    Late ish bar (depends):pac:
    Crowd - 25 - 90 years old
    Decoration- 4 out of 10
    TV's with football (liverpool,celtic mainly) and horses
    Pool table
    Dart board
    Lounge serves food (nobody has ever died from it)
    Smoking area good
    Staff are ok

The Harvest- working mans sons pub, mixture of locals and wannabe's, not bad, pint ok. Not rough
    Late bar
    Crowd 18 - 40 years old
    Decoration- 6 out of 10
    TV's with football (liverpool,celtic mainly) and horses
    Pool table
    Food (bit better than the milestone/same owner)
    Smoking area good
    Staff are ok

The Central - middle of the road pub. Locals, never any trouble
    No late bar
    Crowd 25 - 190 years old
    Decoration - 6 out of 10
    TV with sports (horses and football)
    Snooker tables (3)
    No food
    Smoking area good
    Staff are ok

De bruns- (upstairs and downstair run seperatly), bad eliment lately upstairs. Loud music downstairs.
    Late Bar
    Crowd - not great
    Decoration 7 out of 10 (look great, management gone to fnuk)
    TVs, sports, loud music, dj, quizzes
    Pool table down stairs
    No food
    Smoking area- dodgy
    Staff- OK

The Barcken Court Bar(due to recent fire not open)
    Same as all the hotel bars opened in the past 5 years

McCormacks(white hart inn)- working mans pub, Locals, friendly. No trouble.
    No late bar
    Pints are great
    Decoration 6 out of 10
    TV with sports (football- united/celtic) and horses
    No grub
    Smoking area- good
    Staff - good

O'sheas- mixture of people here. locals, new inhabitants, can get rough, late bar (nightclub attached/ no words can describe the home- go see, its an experience)
    Late bar
    Pints are awefull
    Decoration 3 out of 10 (smells of stale drink and dark)
    Live music sometimes (ok)
    Pool table
    Grub (from one week to the next who knows)
    Smoking area - ok
    Staff - do their best

• Advertisement

Just to correct a couple of minor discrepancies there, mediatraitor, there are actually 4 snooker tables in the Central and McCormack's isn't bad for a late-ish drink especially after they get to know your face. :)

Just to correct a couple of minor discrepancies there, mediatraitor, there are actually 4 snooker tables in the Central and McCormack's isn't bad for a late-ish drink especially after they get to know your face. :)

I was'nt sure about the tables so thanks for the input and as for McCormacks with the late ish drink--- its not often or common but it does happen(this doesnt include getting a drank at 12.01). The fact they dont sell red bull says a lot about what type of premises it is.

I didnt do the Hamlet because I have only been in it a handfull of times.
    Seems alright, food is OK ish and the staff are .... ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think you got the name of the hotel wrong ;)

dubmick wrote: »
    I think you got the name of the hotel wrong ;)

Indeed,,, im sure moriarty will have the dogs set on me(mixed up the name with the one in swords).

im starting to regret posting in this thread now :p maybe I should have gone down the route of the previous posters
    There is nothing to review to be honest. ALL the pubs are den holes of iniquity

The Central do toasted sambos.

Plus no review of John D's which has reopened, William from De Bruns taking that over and Gary Browne taking back Ennis's

The Central do toasted sambos.

really, i didnt know that. Are they done under a grill or on a brevil ?
    Plus no review of John D's which has reopened, William from De Bruns taking that over and Gary Browne taking back Ennis's

Thats odd, I didnt hear of anyone being stabbed lately.

As for Gary Browne back at the helm of De-bruns......................... we shall see how this pans out. Good luck to him (and the bouncers he hires)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Pretty accurate reviews Meditraitor. Fair play for taking the time. Just to add that the Milestone has music Monday Thursday Saturday Sunday which is ok. Mind you it is more suited to the 40 to 90 year old taste than the 18 to 30:):):). Still it is Balbriggan and we must be thankful for small mercies.

As regards a change of management in De Bruns - it cant come soon enough. Nice decor and staff ok but I would love to know what it would take to get thrown out of there/barred. Maybe if you shot or stabbed someone??? I have to say I used to like Ennis's, especially the music on a Wednesday night.

When did John D's reopen??

really, i didnt know that. Are they done under a grill or on a brevil ?
    Not sure, they are done upstairs and it's a bit of a secret that they are available. A knowing wink and a nod and mutter the words 'a special' will get your order in.
    wow sierra wrote: »
    As regards a change of management in De Bruns - it cant come soon enough.
    Hardly who you'd want managing it consider he sat around watching it decline due to his thinking he would have planning permission to knock it down as part of the development of Heeneys Field. You reep what you sow I guess as I doubt any decent crowd would set foot in the place.
    wow sierra wrote: »
    When did John D's reopen??
    At the weekend.

You reep what you sow I guess as I doubt any decent crowd would set foot in the place.

Maybe now that John D's is open the undesirables will go back there. I doubt it, but we can still hope! :)

Much prefer heading out in Skerries tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Maybe now that John D's is open the undesirables will go back there. I doubt it, but we can still hope! :)

Much prefer heading out in Skerries tbh.

Drinking with all the rugby and sailing wannabes in Skerries, how posh!!
    Poor mans Malahide if you ask me

• Advertisement

MSporty wrote: »
    Drinking with all the rugby and sailing wannabes in Skerries, how posh!!
    Poor mans Malahide if you ask me

lol.

I don't think Nealons or The Malting House have many patrons like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't think Nealons or The Malting House have many patrons like that.
    Nor the Glad nor Dunnes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Yeah Skerries is not bad. Any word on when the Coast pub will re-open... I'm fed up with BLUE already (3 trips)

And once again a thread on Balbriggan turns into a Skerries is better thread.

If you like skerries so much start a thread about what the pubs/resturaunts/clubs are like or a thread comparing the two towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'd love to know who gives you a late drink in McCormack's.

100gSoma wrote: »
    Yeah Skerries is not bad. Any word on when the Coast pub will re-open... I'm fed up with BLUE already (3 trips)
    Has it closed again since reopening on the 17th? ;)

Stupid ignorant font
    Do you mind putting your point across in the normal font. It just makes you look like a six year old using a large font, shouting and screaming from your high chair.

The majority of us are adults here and have no problems with a thread developing any which way, be that to cover any number of pubs.

Any thread like this which gives people information is surely a good thing.As a user of this forum I feel that threads should be allowed to develop and as such if they move to cover more that one town well they maybe all that should be done is the title changed certainly not a curtailment of discussion.

Do you mind putting your point across in the normal font. It just makes you look like a six year old using a large font, shouting and screaming from your high chair.

The majority of us are adults here and have no problems with a thread developing any which way, be that to cover any number of pubs.

Any thread like this which gives people information is surely a good thing.As a user of this forum I feel that threads should be allowed to develop and as such if they move to cover more that one town well they maybe all that should be done is the title changed certainly not a curtailment of discussion.

+1

Skerries was mentioned, by me, as it's a decent alternative to the pubs in Balbriggan if they're not what you're into. I don't see how that makes this thread a "Skerries is better than Balbriggan" thread. Skerries is so close to Balbriggan that it's pubs are relevant to those in the Brig who want info on somewhere to get a decent pint. It was one comment by me, no need to get so annoyed over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carriebradshaw

the coast is open again now....its way nicer than it used to be.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'd love to know who gives you a late drink in McCormack's.
    You won't get one in the bar, I'd say, but most of the time its no problem in the lounge. Maybe not if they don't know you, mind you, and it's not exactly a lock-in until 1a.m. on a Monday or anything ;)

Advertisement