Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular Irish bands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Fatima Mansions
    Thier 1st/2nd(depending on if you concider against nature an LP or EP) album viva dead ponies was Moz's farorite album of 1990 and they did get a top ten hit as a double a-side with the manic's suicide is painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Fatima Mansions
    Thier 1st/2nd(depending on if you concider against nature an LP or EP) album viva dead ponies was Moz's farorite album of 1990 and they did get a top ten hit as a double a-side with the manic's suicide is painless.

Rightly included but they were on the original list

Hippo wrote:
    Rightly included but they were on the original list

Inded surpised I missed that
    The other Microdisney offshoot Stump were also quite good
    but Im not sure you could count them as "Successful"

Stump actually quite successful in a small kind of way at least as much as some of the others on the list! NME cover on one occasion if I remember correctly. Not sure that they were a Microdisney offshoot though unless it was some obscure early member, there was only really Sean and Cathal who owned the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Cactus World News
    Into Paradise (were signed to Uk Based "Irish centric" label Setanta in the early 1990s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The Adventures (from the North)
    Cry Before Dawn
    Minor Detail. mid 1980s synthpop duo from wickow, had 1 album released.

Hippo wrote:
    Stump actually quite successful in a small kind of way at least as much as some of the others on the list! NME cover on one occasion if I remember correctly. Not sure that they were a Microdisney offshoot though unless it was some obscure early member, there was only really Sean and Cathal who owned the name.

Mick Lynch frontman of Stump was in Microdisney back in the early days they may still have been called Micro-Disney at the time

Take your word for it, I just don't remember him at all

My even older and even more pedantic colleague informs me that Mick Lynch played with the rest of disney in a band called Constant Reminders in 1980 and then left; they then changed to Micro-Disney. I promise to go away now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Any chance the OP could keep the original list updated?

Therapy?

on the subject of Irish bands ive been trying ot find material by Nun Attax and Five go down to the sea does anyone know where I can find some?

There's almost nothing recorded by nun attax, but they did have something on a 'Kaught at the Kampus' compilation ep released I think on Reekus records around 1980. Five go down to the sea had an ep on Creation around 1985 (Singing in Braille?) and a couple more on some indie label here. You could start by asking somewhere like Freebird, it's the kind of stuff someone will have at the bottom of their collection, or you might get lucky at something like the Comet record collectors fair

Chears
    They are 2 bands missing form my irish srtists collection
    not to bring the thread on to much of a tangent but can anyoine recomend
    some obscure(but good) Irish acts who I may not have heard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyDeBrasco

...try Revival TV..http://revivaltv.bebo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vinnieq

Cyclefly
    Cowboy X

Want proof?:
    Take a look for yourself

Cyclefly - www.myspace.com/cycleflyfanpage
    Cowboy X - http://www.myspace.com/cowboyxmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joeyla

4th Dimension may be worth a mention, they were Kerry lads

...not sure if would be classed as pop though. Were fairly big in Ireland in the 90's, I think everyone will remember 'Storm' and they supported the Prodigy. Two albums 'Overground' and 'Around the day in Eighty Worlds'. Great 90's dance act.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

joeyla wrote: »
    4th Dimension may be worth a mention, they were Kerry lads

...not sure if would be classed as pop though. Were fairly big in Ireland in the 90's, I think everyone will remember 'Storm' and they supported the Prodigy. Two albums 'Overground' and 'Around the day in Eighty Worlds'. Great 90's dance act.

J

The thread is 7 years old. We can assume the OPs project has long been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The Frames are another miss. I know the thread is 7 years old, but they would have been big around then. Only posting because someone else bumped the thread. Whether or not the project is completed, it is still an interesting discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

auto de fe, also the fountainhead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Relish were good, but not that popular. I remember meeting the guy who signed them to EMI (Thomas Black) and asking what happened to them, they could've been huge. Bad management / label cock ups seemed to be what happened.

Their first three / four singles were great (even the b-sides!) though the debut album fell a little short. Pity, cos they were pretty unique in the Irish music scene.

Great bunch of lads too, apparently.

You can add Ham Sandwich to that list - though only popular in Ireland really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Starjets
    Outcasts
    Defects

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HudTaylor

You should check out Hudson Taylor, they've just released their new single Battles and are getting a lot of attention at the moment.

HudTaylor wrote: »
    You should check out Hudson Taylor, they've just released their new single Battles and are getting a lot of attention at the moment.

Wow, you're not in Hudson Taylor are you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HudTaylor

Ha no just a big fan, I'm sure they have better things to do with their time.... like being in a successful band :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Fish go deep.

HudTaylor wrote: »
    Ha no just a big fan, I'm sure they have better things to do with their time.... like being in a successful band :)

Your username, and your first post being to big up your band... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

light a big fire

Advertisement