Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove stains.

• 27-02-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Would anynoe know what would be the best thing to use on a stubborn curry sauce stain which refuses to be shifted from an upholstered chair? I've tried the usual Vanish, etc.

It's quite a large stain as a neighbour let their 3-year-old sit on the chair and tuck into said curry and didn't keep an eye on her. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Beer...supposedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lick it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lemon juice from a lemon not the stuff in a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Mmmmmm Pancakes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The only thing that will remove it are the blood and tears of the child that spilt it ..... seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If its a red curry, rub white curry into the stain to get rid of the mark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Diet 7up is quite good for lifting stains. Stain devils though apparently has some stain-removing properties.

/me goes off to look in the obscure occult books for a rite for summoning a 'stain devil'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That vanish power foam in a spray works great.

http://www.vanish.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Get Barry Scott to shout at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Iraq WMD vanishing cream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Inspired by the curry thread on AH. Over the weekend we had a party and someone had lots of chewing gum stuck on their arse, they also managed to sit on every chair in the sitting room. Now, the sofa and armchairs (leather, think its fake though) are covered in chewing gum.

Any ideas how to remove it ?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Put an ice pack on it for a few hours and then it should be a bit easier to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ruu wrote:
    Put an ice pack on it for a few hours and then it should be a bit easier to remove.
    You tell him, ned.

By the way, I'm merging this with the other one and it will become a multi purpose stain removal thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

from www.chewing-gum-removal.com ... obviously!?
    Gum Removal Furniture & Carpets

If most of us drop gum on something like furniture or the carpet, we cannot just have it removed. But at the same time, gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets is hardly a simple matter. The reason that gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets can be so difficult is because of the nature of gum. It is sticky and refuses to be dissolved by water and touched by oil. And therein lies the problem. What is needed is a gum remover that can be used with relative ease and that is fairly inexpensive.

Traditional answers to gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets

There are plenty of traditional ways to take care of gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets. One of the most common, and the oldest, is one that uses common ice cubes. The reason that these are used is that it is thought that by making the gum cold, it will be easier to scrape off without trailing a mess all over the place. However, even though this can work, often the job of scraping it off can be frustrating and there is still a stain left due to chewing gum soiling.

Another traditional way of gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets is to use commercial cleaners like aerosol freezing cans or large amounts of dissolving solution. Even for carpet stains caused by chewing gum these remedies rarely work without a great deal of effort and some measure of expense. The freezing cans often are only good for one round of stain removal, and then you still have to ship away at the hardened mass that is left. Commercial cleaning supplies like huge solution bottles often cost a great deal of money can require quite a bit of work as well. To remove chewing gum effectively it requires a break through gum remover that can actually break down the gum without leaving a stain.

One of the most advanced chewing gum removal products is called Gum-Out. While it can be used successfully as a commercial cleaner, it is available to aid in gum removal on domestic furniture and carpets. This means that it is affordable for households, and because one shipment can take care of up to 125 gum wads, it is also very cost effective. By logging on to www.chewing-gum-removal.com you can take advantage of this great product and not worry about your furniture and carpets being ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Archeron wrote:
    Get Barry Scott to shout at it.

made me laugh... AND it would probably work :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

sorry for totally hijackin the thread but...

i'm getting rid of the carpet in my bedroom, the carpet fitters who put the last one down just layed it over the previous carpet. Now, the rubber under-lay benieth the original carpet has completely 'melted' on to my floorboards. its turned into this horrible sticky gunge which is very difficult to shift. any ideas how to remove it? i want to have a plain wooden floor and do not want to damage the nice old wood any further. is it just a hands & knees elbow grease job with a paint scraper? thanks.

Sugar soap is what you need ferdi you will get it at any diy or hard ware store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Cheers Thaed, i'll give it a go, really hope it works:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I have a stain in my bedsheet that I want to get rid of before my ma sees them...any ideas?

(and when I say I, I mean a friend...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement