Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of an economic hitman - MP3 interview

Options
  • 27-02-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.financialsense.com/Experts/2005/Perkins.html

Interesting radio interview by the author of Confessions of an economic hitman John Perkins, it’s about 25minutes long. His main thesis as an insider is that the US strategy for empire has 3 main tactics, firstly by getting 3rd world countries into debt by lending money for projects (built by US companies) when they can't pay they can then get cheap consession to the country's resources, if that doesn’t work , send in the “Jeckels” to threaten/ oust / kill the leader of the country and the final part is invasion if none of the above work.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Staggering. Just staggering.

It's one thing to read Stiglitz describe policy 'failure' or Chomsky, Monbiot et al making sharp accusations from the outside, but to hear a guy who was at the core of the clandestine activity spell out what he did and others are doing to countries on behalf of the wealthy elite in such stark unequivocal words is actually a bit freaky. Revelations 90210. The paperback is out now...

Has their been much media interest here? I'm assuming that through chance I must have missed the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Wow, amazing link. Interesting timing, given that Zambia lost a case to a US vulture fund, which will now make them pay back $20-$42 million on an odious loan which was about to be written off.

http://www.gregpalast.com/vulture-fund-threat-to-third-world/

There's a BBC Newsnight video on that link somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Read his book, scary stuff in it. If even a bit of it is true, the US have a lot to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

DadaKopf wrote:
    Wow, amazing link. Interesting timing, given that Zambia lost a case to a US vulture fund, which will now make them pay back $20-$42 million on an odious loan which was about to be written off.

http://www.gregpalast.com/vulture-fund-threat-to-third-world/

There's a BBC Newsnight video on that link somewhere.
    A fine example of raw capitalism. I think these vulture funds are morally obliged to pay class war reparations, but since they're probably clinical psychopaths I won't hold my breath for voluntary contrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who cares vote ff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

who cares vote ff
    Eh???

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stop trolling, lostexpectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oscarBravo wrote:
    Stop trolling, lostexpectation.

i was making a point. :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, you weren't. Anything else from you better be on-topic and constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If this guy was for real why have they not shot him already?

However I have to say I enjoyed the interview. Thank you for posting it gave a lot of food for thought.

The vulture fund I dont think even comes close to this that was a loan to Czechslovakia (I think) for 4 million that was brought for 2 by a US firm just prior to being written off. And now the Zambian goverment are being charged 146 million!!:eek: in re-payments after losing a court case in the US. They must be the Ocean Finance of the international community.

Thanks Bono :mad:

Its more like a low moraled private firm, than the complete laying to waste of econmoys he describes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Zambia232 wrote:
    If this guy was for real why have they not shot him already?

Other people have written about this before, I remember reading a book by Chomsky years ago, which from memory came to similar conclusions. but it is chilling when you see it all pulled together.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement