Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars demo

Options
  • 27-02-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭

just played it there a few minutes ago

graphics are class

very impressed ill be buying the full version for sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Havent played it yet but very much looking forward to tonight :D

Oh yeah discussion with links here also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*sigh* 10 hours wait to finish this download...better be worth it EA...r i'm coming after yore Ass.

please please please have cut scene with Kane in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quite enjoyed it. Really felt like a proper C&C game. Mind you, not being able to zoom out ala Supreme Commander is pissing me off no end. Was one of my major gripes with Generals/Zero Hour and SC has compounded that feeling.

As for graphics, tis damn nice looking. Was running it was 1920x1200 with everything up full and it ran quite nicely too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quite enjoyed it. Really felt like a proper C&C game. Mind you, not being able to zoom out ala Supreme Commander is pissing me off no end. Was one of my major gripes with Generals/Zero Hour and SC has compounded that feeling.

As for graphics, tis damn nice looking. Was running it was 1920x1200 with everything up full and it ran quite nicely too :)

what spec do you have jesus thats gre

i tried on 1920x1200 the gameplay was grand but the videos were choppy

im running it on inspiron 9400
    Duo Pro T2600 2.16 GHz, 2 MB L2 - - 8X DVD+/-RW - - - - 100GB (5,400 rpm) SATA Hard Drive - -- 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) - -256mb NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Its a wierd one.

Firstly what i've been hearing about the hud is very true, its really tidy and quite effective.

the multiple build routines is a nice varient on the old c&c tank rush.

The game itself is like a nostalgic reunion with someone who has had a facelift.

The old C&C build system is still brilliant in its simplicity (Cant stand worker units) and the changes to it are mostly tweaks.

it seems to strike a chord with every game in the series that has gone before it.

the atmosphere is brilliant Tiberium sun, from the landscape to how the actors play the role. How the cutscenes are done is red alert 1 style (the impression that you are in the room.)

the hud is an advancement on the already near perfect red alert 2 hud design.

the vehicles are chord between tiberium sun design and generals control.

Which was my main problem with the game. Generals always felt like everything was moving slower. I dont know if its my computer, it could be, but I had it done up after half life 2 came out soo generals in theory ran without slowdown, yet it always felt like evrything was in slow motion. This suffers the same problem, everything trudges along so slowly that you cant help but loose interest (especially with the already slow mammoths)

the return of silos is another nod to the older game (though one that will probably piss off a few fans. just to have that irritating silos needed call back again)

The soundpack is classic C&C from the screams i heard. The voicepack is mixed bag of classic/generals. The mammoth is clearly generals which is crap.

The music though seems to be generals...which is a big no no.

I'm not 100% yet, I will probably buy it, but the generals game speed linked to the classic build system is a uneasy fit, the appeal of C&C is that its strategic but its also got a reflex element in that things need to be done quickly.

The best example of how this doesnt fit is:

In red alert 2 allied infantry can deploy sandbags...it was a single press of the button and BOOM they are fortified.

in this, the gdi ones, build bunkers, it takes time and costs money...it just doesnt seem worth it cause the enemy can pounce you before its finished in most cases (no point building back at your own base.)

though as always I want to play with the NOD units!

• Advertisement

Just tried skirmish...which as in all C&C's I could test out the other sides units by capturing most of their base.

NOD HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY GIMPED

compared to their set up in tiberium sun, this side is shockingly dull.

the best thing nod have going for them are their abilities, which do include some cool weapons (like the ability to cause a chain reaction in the tiberium fields.)

but the units themselves are quite dull.

its traditional nod for the most part, except they have gotten rid of the nod artillary (BOO!) and its been replaced with a nod version of the GDI disrupter tank from tiberium sun (which has now been turned into a base defence for GDI)

The nod beam tank is rubbish. And its ace in the whole unit...the avatar. While clever enough does seem to be an overgrown version of the nod cyborg commando.

Ido hope this is truncated version of the units. Cause Nod doesnt seem that interesting judging from the demo.

Also the Flame Tank no longer goes underground...which pisses me off.

Nod feels more like a wak mix of tiberium dawn nod with GLA from generals (fanatics and other such weapons are nod based)

the Banshee has been replaced with a stealth bomber (boo hum, Nod are meant to have the fast strike jets, and GDI the big heavy ones. I want my Banshee back)

the new base defence system is really cool though, but without the ability to build walls its sorely wasted.

what spec do you have jesus thats gre

i tried on 1920x1200 the gameplay was grand but the videos were choppy

im running it on inspiron 9400
    Duo Pro T2600 2.16 GHz, 2 MB L2 - - 8X DVD+/-RW - - - - 100GB (5,400 rpm) SATA Hard Drive - -- 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) - -256mb NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

System spec is in my signature, but:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.9GHz
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB overclocked
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4
    Dell 24" Widescreen 2405WFP

IIRC, was only running 2XAA.

how to unlock nod:
    Here is what you will have to do:

Click on the NOD faction ( which appears to be unavailable ) and,
    while you let the scrolling menu open, type : N
    to play against the GDI, click on the GDI opponent ( which appears to be unavailable )
    and while you let the scrolling meny open, hit G
    Works with AI too, select the AI type you wanna try out

also unit guides:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=202784

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=202789

might have been too harsh on NOD, they have the return of the prism tank (those who remember RA2 run with fear the ultimate rush tank is BACK!)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    might have been too harsh on NOD, they have the return of the prism tank (those who remember RA2 run with fear the ultimate rush tank is BACK!)

haha once I seen the Prism Tank I just smiled. Nothing better than 30 or so in a rush. Particularly funny when they had a longer range than the prism tower.

its a wierd one...it works like a prism tank in that the more of them you have the more damage you deal.

But its also like the tesla tank in that you can use it to charge up the prism tower (which was the ultimate defence in red alert 2)

and then the REALLY weird part is the ability to bounce your lasers off your own aircraft and hit enemy bases from insane distances...which I guess is the nod replacement to the artillary.

also nod planes are far too cheap, they make taking down orcas easy if you spam your base with them as defence (they are only 800 credits each)

• Advertisement
Advertisement