Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for a linux distro

• 27-02-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

I've a really old/slow PC at home and I want to stick linux on it so my parents (so I need a gui ... not that I could use it without it) can browse the web and do some office stuff.
    Its something like a P2 350Mhz~, 384mb ram and a 3GB hdd.
    I was using a mandrake live CD on it and it seemed to be running quite fast (faster than ubuntu was running installed to the hdd) so i'm guessing this was because it was a live CD and small in size.

Was just wondering if anyone knows of any distro's that are chopped down for crap PCs. Or some good ways to speed up ubuntu by turning things off/uninstalling and what not ...

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dsl or puppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackofnotrades

Thanks for the tips but I heard if you install DSL to a hard-drive it will corrupt after a while ?
    I'll check out puppy aswell ... a google found me SaxenOS which says its designed for old PC's so I'm gona look into that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm running slackware on an old Celeron 333MHz with 192MB of ram, and it's running like a dream.

KDE is functional, but not lightning fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackofnotrades

sure I'll give it a shot too
    thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Might be worth trying Xubuntu too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

id use beatrix

http://www.watsky.net/

Advertisement