Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your 80's and 90's North East moments

Options
  • 27-02-2007 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Arising from some banter in the Places to eat in Louth ! thread it was suggested that a seperate thread be started for those 80's and 90's moments. I'll start it off with a few Pubs I used to frequent in Drogheda in the 80's and 90's.

Here's some for ya for starters. Do you remember?
    Bubbles (Now Star)

Fantasy Gardens (The Europa Hotel I think?)

The Boxing Club (Long gone now part of the Hay Market Development)

The Linen Hall (Long gone now part of the Hay Market Development) I bought a brick there once

The White Horse Hotel (The West Court Hotel) I had my first ever (under-age) pint in there

The Abbey Tavern Tassels (?)

Lucianos (The Boyne Valley Hotel)

The Nook

The (old) Cellars

The Horse and Hound (Redz I think?)

Old Redz

Benny's ??? (O'Sheas)

????????? (The Mariner)

Thee Place (Europa??????)

Goodfellows (Storm) Met Mrs.Dingatron there ;) Classy joint.

Old Clarke's (Clarkes)

Plenty more I'm sure if people can fill in the blanks and tell us all your tales?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not much here really as I just stuck to the one spot mostly in Oldcastle (middle o' nowhere in Meath). Naper Arms Hotel (the dishco part of it was Hunters Night Club and then changed to the Tunnel). Tony Fenton was a resident for quite a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Yeah, do you remeber the subway, underneath the Central and I loved the (old) cellar bar. They were great days.
    I used to go to the Swan Inn when there was rock bands playing and sometimes to the monday club in Goodfellows.
    Those were the days....sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yes! I remember the Subway! It always seemed to be jammed! Were there lots of mirrors down there?? And a DJ in a box??? Memory is a bit hazy and fugged! ;)

And The Cellers, wasn't that downstairs in the pub across the road from McPhails?

And what about the Rugby Club? Though didn't got here too often, it was a bit of a walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

roosters on a sunday night

event wrote:
    roosters on a sunday night

Where was Roosters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Was in the Subway a few times. A lot of the Boxing club crowd hung out there AFAIR. Ah memories. Can anyone fill in any of the blanks from above as its all a bit hazy lol? Never heard of Roosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

it was the crowing cock in kilsaran

pretty much anyone from around the area of dunleer, dromin, togher etc al went.

was the place to be until you were 19

was class at teh time

Roosters would have been too far from Drogheda. The subway was covered in mirrors alright and the DJ was in a small box. There used to be a resident DJ there. Can't remember his name. It was smoky so the haziness isn't a foggy memory. It was a very open minded place for its time with all kinds of people down ther including a fair gay element. I thought it was a great place. It was over 21's at the time.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Flix! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I vaguely remember the Subway, me and my mate tried to get a drink there once when we were (waaay) underage, we battle through the crowd to the bar and she shouts for... 2 Martinis (?!) - she always had ideas about herself - needless to say we were politely told to leave.

I went to student discos in Lucianos, everytime I smell that Elnet (sp?) hairspray it brings me back to standing in that queue. Hated that place though cos my friend was always asked up to dance by about 15 boys and I never got asked up... I look a lot better these days... honestly (learnt to make the best of my assets - I'm competitive like that :D).

I remember seeing a few bands in The Boxing Club - The Stunning was one I think, can't remember too many details... one of the ladies toilets didn't have a door.

I had a horrible family experience in the White Horse when I was about 13, my parents were discussing separating, less said about that the better (they stayed together anyways).

My brother used to go into Tassle's in his school uniform and get served drink - classy joint. I remember Mrs. Clarke in Clarke's - she took no prisoners.

Just realised that some of my memories are a bit tragic - ahhh the pains of growing up (must make that appointment for counselling one of these days :p)

I do remember the old Cellars, walking in there with this guy I was crazy about and hearing Pearl Jam 'Alive' for the first time... blew me away. They really wrecked the Cellars with that redesign IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Ah The Linen hall. That was some kip, i think all underaged people drank there.

And as for the subway, now that brings back memories. I could go out on the lash for 10 pound. And a chipper from Genoa (Shop st) and a taxi home. Was it just me or did we drink a hell of alot more back then?

Roosters was only popular in the 90's for a while, think the place is closed now.

The horse and hound (Redz) has gone through some transformations in the last 20 years. They made a meal out of it in the end :D
    Bring back the old Redz. Because O Sheas is full of school kids and pervs.

I find myself drinking in clarkes more recently.
    sings theme from cheers: where every-body knows your na - me
    Gardai that is :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Man Friday's before it became Fusion with its authentic straw roof on the bar. By 3:00am you'd swear you were in Hawaii if it wasn't for the sticky floor.

Benny Flanagan's now the Mariner great for under age drinking because of the pool room hidden away in the back.

I loved the train in the Linen Hall which ran around the wall. Saw Brendan O'Carroll there twice. He was **** both times.

Goodfellows. Hmmm it seemed great at the time. Always followed by a quarter pounder from the four lanterns or a bite to eat in the Tredagh cafe quality stuff.

The Gwent Arms for a while where cool cuts is now I think.

Harvey's in Shop street caught fire. Great.

What about the old back bar in Mcphails. A shed with a few kegs, planks and a step for a stage. Did we care. Did we S***e. Kids these days don't know how good they have it with their Fat Frogs and foreign beer!

Memories La La, La La, LaLa La.................:)

I loved the train in the Linen Hall which ran around the wall. Saw Brendan O'Carroll there twice. He was **** both times.

Goodfellows. Hmmm it seemed great at the time. Always followed by a quarter pounder from the four lanterns or a bite to eat in the Tredagh cafe quality stuff.

Yes I remember that train. It was cool. They had a wall of fame in there with photos of famous people on the wall. I also vaguely remember the Viaduct in shop st, wherre we used to go to see the Bottles play.

Had my 21st upstairs in The Gwent. My folks used to drink in the Three Way Bar in Trinity St. (Safety Shop now).

Loved the chips out of the Tredagh Cafe. Lovely. U could sit and eat them while you were watching the Bouncers kick the cr%p out of some other unfortunate soul. Yes classy stuff is right.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

The Castle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Ah yes. We used to sneak cans into the Subway cause we were so broke.
    Buy a pint at the start of the night and top it up as the night went on.
    Some of those old music mixes in there were excellent. Man i used to love that spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frog Princess

Lived in Drogheda '95-'97 and used to LOVE the old back bar in McPhails.
    I remember when Gerry Larkin used to play there. Does anyone know what happened to him? Is he still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Last time i saw him was in the old Weavers...He walked in guitar in one hand ..PA in the other. Wasn't sure how the (small) crowd would take to him after all i don't think they were there to see him. He went down a storm in the end. Good entertainer. Haven't seen him since then

Poor Gerry! The crowds used to go wild for him in McPhails. It was great.
    What about the other bands that were around at the same time, I remember Big Nose, Big Bag of Sticks and the brothers who used to play in McPhails as well - can't remember their name - any of them still around?

The Judge brothers as far as I remember? Also a cover band called Nitecap who I thought were really cool. I remember seeing them a few years later and thinking OMG! :eek:

Anyone remember Night Flight who used to play in McPhails? I think around the late 80's... Led Zeppelin covers, that sort of thing.... ????

• Advertisement

Ah yes, thanks, The Judge brothers, who became Thicker than Water - or is it the other way around? - and they had this n°1 classic hit Lillies Bordello!!! OMG is right!!! They were even sick of playing it themselves! Wouldn't mind listening to it again for the craic :-)

Yes, they were the judge brothers first. They were residents in goodfellows monday club.
    I think we all used to bring bottles and cans in2 pubs then. Seems to be alot more money around now tho.
    I remember seein don baker in walkers niteclub (Westcourt hotel)
    Didn't like his music, bu the crack was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Anyone remember Brian Morrisey from the drug squad
    He brought miami vice style police control to the streets of drogheda !!

Wow, I remeber him, He was a rite git. Nobody was safe from a frisk from him. Jeez, that brings back some memories. Red hair with moustache. He raided pubs and clubs all the time and used to wear these stupid sunglasses. Lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Anybody remember Ron on the steps of St. Peters in Drogheda and his sermons. Classic one was that "those who wear sun glasses are are denying the lord by attempting to block out the sun".

Anybody spend their lunchtime in the Whitworth?

Irjudge1 wrote:
    Anybody remember Ron on the steps of St. Peters in Drogheda and his sermons. Classic one was that "those who wear sun glasses are are denying the lord by attempting to block out the sun".

Anybody spend their lunchtime in the Whitworth?

Ah yes indeed "the whitty" , many a lunchtime time whittled away in there playing Pacland and Street Fighter .
    Popped into the whitty after a cheap lunch in the Drogheda classic ....The Four Lanterns ..

There were some characters knocking about back then lol. Spent a lot of time in Fuscardi's playing Tempest. Mitching was easier back then...

And what about Callans??? ...across from the old Garda Station, just about the coolest spot to hang out!!!

there was another arcade across from the Abbey shopping centre... Gistys wasnt it ... (gisty the most famous doorman in drogheda used to own it i think )

God how much of my youth did i waste away:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ruu wrote:
    Not much here really as I just stuck to the one spot mostly in Oldcastle (middle o' nowhere in Meath). Naper Arms Hotel (the dishco part of it was Hunters Night Club and then changed to the Tunnel). Tony Fenton was a resident for quite a while! :)

lol, I worked in the Tunnel for a few weekends :D

Advertisement