Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - Price Disparity

Options
  • 27-02-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I needed to post a digital tv box to Germany, it weighted 3kg. I went to my local post office and was told it would be €40 to post. They then told me if I could split my package up into 2 it would only cost €20 in total.

This makes no sense to me as I would still be sending exactly the same weight (slightly more if you include the extra packaging). I can't split the package so can't avail of the cheaper postage just thought this was very strange.

On a side note can anybody recommend a cheaper method of posting a 3kg package to Germany?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

You can see what's happening from the An Post price card:

click to see full size and again to make clearer:
    anpostcr505ldqo5.th.jpg

Packages only go up to 2KG, after that they 'become' parcels. So if you had a packet that weighed 1.99KG it would cost you €10 and if it weighed 2KG it would cost €28!!!

Remember, the An Post weights are exclusive. So, if your package weights 3KG you pay €40 and if it's 2.99KG you pay €36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Try GLS - They have loads of drop shops around.
    If the item is relatively small it will cost about €24 and it will take about 3 days.

http://www.gls-ireland.com/en/home/index.html

An post price difference - parcels will go a direct route and will arrive within 3 / 4 days. Packets go by road / rail through normal postal systems and take about 10 days.

Advertisement