Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornton's Restaurant on Liveline 27 Feb.

• 27-02-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Heh heh heh..jaysus...!!!

I was listening to Liveline today, going on about Thorntons restaurant.

If I understand correctly,a party went in to have a meal on Saturday last , and were treated like sh it!!

Then the chef comes on and tries to justify boorish ignorant behaviour!!!

This cnunt has been watchin too much TV and thinks that people will accept the kind of shyte Gordon Ramsey tries to dish out!!

Get a fcukin grip here.. people pay to get a service, give it to them.

These pricks think they have the right to insult people.

Grow up for chrissakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Bantam, how did you know this was on tomorrows show?? :D

Ah yes, Duffy is back... shame really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:o
    Frikken watch says 28th!!!

Bantam takes it on the chin..:mad:

Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You're right on the money though. Its one of those things that good businesses have been lost in recent years, such as good customer service. Didn't do himself any favours, and won't last long with that attitude.

What tees me off though, is that these fcukers have set themselves up as "artists" Artists!!!! Fcukin cooks!!! dish it up and shut the fcuk up!!!

I'm payin ya!!!

Amazing what the media can do, turn fcukin cooks into "celebrities"

And todays Liveline is the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure what this has to do with radio though? This is Comsumer Issues! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, in fairness, I know the whole story, and while his reaction was over the top, I can see why he was so pissed off.

[edit]Kevin I mean[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

mike65 wrote:
    Not sure what this has to do with radio though? This is Comsumer Issues! :p

Mike.
    Actually it's probably a topic better discussed in the Food & Drink forum.

I'd have thought it was perfectly at home in the radio forum seeing as it took up a full two days worth of talk on the countrys most listened to phone in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Seaneh wrote:
    I'd have thought it was perfectly at home in the radio forum seeing as it took up a full two days worth of talk on the countrys most listened to phone in?
    But the opening post and the following discussion have all been related to the restaurant and chefs in general but not Liveline's handling of the issue.

eh, fair point.

• Advertisement

What tees me off though, is that these fcukers have set themselves up as "artists" Artists!!!! Fcukin cooks!!! dish it up and shut the fcuk up!!!

I resent that.

Seaneh... Sorry I may have been a bit over the top on this..however...

As I see it nothing gives the service provider the right to abuse and belittle his customers who are paying good money for his product.

The media have elevated some people in this industry into cult status and it seems to give them the right,in their opinion, to be boorish and insulting to people who they think won't stand up to them.A small coterie of these people think that eccentricity is expected of them and rank bad manners and coarseness will be tolerated.
    There are of course, plenty of excellent chefs who take apride in their expertise and do not act the prima donna for the gallery.
    I think this started in Langan's in London where it was considered to be a badge of honour to be belittled by the owner.

I know if it was me and he tried it he had better be able to extract a frying pan from his hole as under NO circumstances would I tolerate that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what did thornton have to say on the matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I only read about it in the Irish Times. The article gave the impression that the guests were being complete pricks. I also read into the article that the other guests were happy to see the back of them. And Thorntons have apologised.

There's a difference between offering good service and tolerating dickheads. Whatever about it being badge of honour to be belittled by the owner, in the modern 'sophisticated' Ireland it seems to be a badge of honour to be a dickhead. :o

Just my reading of the article.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats the way I read it too, sounds like the asked for something off the menu, after already getting their mains and then are surprised it was late coming out? some guy decides that he needs chips with his main and demands them (but doesn't want to wait and continue eating). the kitchen cook them (they aren't on the menu) and sends them out, of course they are finished their mains and send the chips back. thorton storms out and asks them who the feck do they think they are...

I'd say thornton should have known better than to get thick with them, but obviously they got their own back by getting on the radio.

total generalisation but I can just imagine the type of person that would act like that when out for a meal and would believe thortons version over theirs.
    they probably loved it and left planning on how they would get him back...

Right here's my 2cents.

Kevin is a very... odd person.
    He gets really worked up really easily and has a tendency to go a bit over the top, however I would have done the same thing, just not as extreme.

I'm wobbling.!!! Havn't read the IT article,was it by Helen Lucy Bourke ;) who thinks Thornton is up there with Bono near God!!?

I heard Thornton on a later show and apparently apologised but... said he did not want to see that party back in his restaurant.

On mature reflection I would opine that there was an element of "acting the prick" but the reaction was way over the top.

Touch of the auld Celtic Tiger Shenanigans from both sides....

by the way, the restraunt went on fire thursday night, nobody injured.

Seaneh wrote:
    by the way, the restraunt went on fire thursday night, nobody injured.

hmmm, a couple of days after the OP posted the thread. interesting :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Saturday's irish times had an article by tom doorley about the whole thing, made for interesting reading. I like tom doorley now.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    Saturday's irish times had an article by tom doorley about the whole thing, made for interesting reading. I like tom doorley now.

i read that too, can't believe they went and washed and chipped potatoes, cooked them once, let them cool and cooked them again to get the perfect chip and then the guy doesn't want them! i'd have gone nuts myself I have to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

In yesterday's Sunday Independent they reported that their food critic Lucinda O'Sullivan was told to leave the Balzac Restaurant at the La Stampa Hotel.

She complained about everything except 1 starter and was then asked to leave by the general manager who'd had enough of her. He'd offered to replace her risotto. She proceded to complain about more items on the menu when the manager stopped her in her tracks saying " Can I cut you short, I am not listening. Good evening try another restaurant" before whipping the plates up from the table.

I've never been to that restaurant so can't comment on it but I've read some of her reviews in the newspaper and she's so full of it.

I happened to see her on Ireland AM one morning and she came across as being a stuck up snob and very condescending.

For one who complains so much about what's wrong with what she orders it makes me wonder why is she so morbidly obese. Obviously she's eating a fair amount to be her size so it can't all taste bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ PMSL! Classic!

What did Doorley say in the IT...give us a synopsis please.

I don't like Doorley, comes across as a right knob.

Just wonderin:p

What did Doorley say in the IT...give us a synopsis please.

I don't like Doorley, comes across as a right knob.

Just wonderin:p

The pitfalls of platefuls

Eating out in fancy restaurants can be a tricky business if you're feeling hungry, as one fine diner found out in Thornton's restaurant in Dublin last week, writes Tom Doorley...

he gave the story pretty much as it appears to have happened. The guys ordered Loin of Venison with
    Fondant Potatoes, Roasted Parsnip,
    Herb Gnocchi, Port Sauce or something and when he got it decided it wasn't enough for him so asked for chips. Then thornton peeled, washed and cooked the potatoes at one temp, then let them cool and cooked again at a higher temp to get the best chips. This took 40 mins apparently and then when they were sent out the guy said he wasn't hungry after all and sent them back. Doorley did point out that obviously the portions in the main were fine for him after all.

He said that thorton was wrong for giving the cutomer abuse but you could see he was on his side pretty much.
    Think he mentioned that there is a 'clique' of people going around Dublin causing 'issues' in well known places. The attitude being I have the money so I can act whatever way I want and hoping to cause trouble and laughing about it afterward (may be off on that, could be the impression I got)

Then they had a funnyish insert on dos and dont's if you want to get thrown out when eating..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Found a free copy of Tom Doorley's article for anyone who is interested.

blorg wrote:
    Found a free copy of Tom Doorley's article for anyone who is interested.

cheers, wasn't toooo far off.. but pity they don't have the dos and don'ts inserts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I disagree with the point that he cant have been that hungry if he refused the chips.
    The damn things took 40 minutes to arrive. He had finished his mains, in fact the table had been cleared and they were looking at deserts according to the article.

If I order a coffee and I decide that I want sugar in it, Im not going to wait 40 minutes and then eat a few spoonfuls on their own just because I ordered it.

The chef/wait staff were naive to think that anyone would wait that long and still eat them. I would guess that Thronton was pissed at someone asking for "chips" in his restaurant and so made a big song and dance about preparing them, which blew up in his face.

Also the fact that he refused their money and yet took it off their card later is a disgrace. I would have contacted the CC company about a fradulent transaction ASAP.

GreeBo wrote:
    If I order a coffee and I decide that I want sugar in it, Im not going to wait 40 minutes and then eat a few spoonfuls on their own just because I ordered it.

I get where you are coming from, but it's not quite the same is it? If you decided you wanted chips with your coffee you would be expecting a bit of a wait for the chips (although 40 mins seems a long time) Especially if they place you were in didn't do chips!

I would have thought it would take at least 20 mins to prepare chips from scratch and understand that the way they did them gives the best chips and would likely take twice as long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

daveym wrote:
    I get where you are coming from, but it's not quite the same is it? If you decided you wanted chips with your coffee you would be expecting a bit of a wait for the chips (although 40 mins seems a long time) Especially if they place you were in didn't do chips!

I would have thought it would take at least 20 mins to prepare chips from scratch and understand that the way they did them gives the best chips and would likely take twice as long?
    But if I asked for freshly made pancakes (where you are supposed to leave thmixture for 24 hours before using it) would they send me some pancakes the next day, OR, would they say, "Sorry sir that will take too long to prepare as its not on the menu. Can I offer you something else?"

They guy asked for chips with his main course, how is he supposed to know it will take 40 mins for them to arrive unless they tell him?
    If they tell him and he agrees then that is totally different, but they didnt, they said no problem sir.

Advertisement