Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornton's Restaurant on Liveline 27 Feb.

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

GreeBo wrote:
    But if I asked for freshly made pancakes (where you are supposed to leave thmixture for 24 hours before using it) would they send me some pancakes the next day, OR, would they say, "Sorry sir that will take too long to prepare as its not on the menu. Can I offer you something else?"

They guy asked for chips with his main course, how is he supposed to know it will take 40 mins for them to arrive unless they tell him?
    If they tell him and he agrees then that is totally different, but they didnt, they said no problem sir.

well I agree they should have told him it would take to long, but I would certainly know myself that once you already have your main course in front of you then ordering anything not on the menu to go with it is going to take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

daveym wrote:
    well I agree they should have told him it would take to long, but I would certainly know myself that once you already have your main course in front of you then ordering anything not on the menu to go with it is going to take a while.
    A while yes, 40 minutes? No way.
    Who on earth would start eating a plate of chips on their own when everyone else is ordering dessert and you dont even have any cutlery left?:confused:

They should be done for Credit Card fraud. You cant just take money off someones card.

GreeBo wrote:
    A while yes, 40 minutes? No way.
    Who on earth would start eating a plate of chips on their own when everyone else is ordering dessert and you dont even have any cutlery left?:confused:

They should be done for Credit Card fraud. You cant just take money off someones card.

well agreed 40 is too long, but would have thought minimum 20 mins would be expected? Like you say they should have said no, but I would have thought that by the sounds of these guys they would be checking where the chips were rather than just waiting. Maybe they were told how long they would be?

Didn't know that the credit card had been charged, wouldn't have thought you should do that after throwing them out. Seems to be standard practise now though in places to charge card if you don't turn up which seems even worse.

Well to be honest, how long you are willing to wait is a personal matter, I wouldnt wait more than 10 minutes as I wouldnt see the point. I would just have more of whatever the offered sides were.

The guys offered to pay and were told no, then the card gets charged a few days later. Scandalous.

GreeBo wrote:
    Well to be honest, how long you are willing to wait is a personal matter, I wouldnt wait more than 10 minutes as I wouldnt see the point. I would just have more of whatever the offered sides were.

The guys offered to pay and were told no, then the card gets charged a few days later. Scandalous.

well I wouldn't be willing to wait either but would know that chips were going to take a long time! I think ordering off the menu is ignorant anyway, unless you have some allergy or something.

I guess my point is that the customers here sound like a bunch of awkward ignorant sods. Thornton doesn't sound like he acted much better than them but I think it is likely they were out to provoke him.

2000 posts! congrats for you..

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    well I wouldn't be willing to wait either but would know that chips were going to take a long time! I think ordering off the menu is ignorant anyway, unless you have some allergy or something.

I guess my point is that the customers here sound like a bunch of awkward ignorant sods. Thornton doesn't sound like he acted much better than them but I think it is likely they were out to provoke him.

I guess since we were not there we dont really know what happened.
    The impression I got was that the guy was given his plate of mean and he said something along the lines of "is there any change of some chips or something to go with this?"
    And the wait staff said "sure, I will get you some"
    daveym wrote:
    2000 posts! congrats for you..
    Yeah, some of them are even a worthwhile read :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

I've eaten at Thorntons, long time ago admittedly at the old premises in portobello. Thornton himself is definitely a bit....excitable. A true tortured genius, and his food is amazing. The waiting staff are unbelievably professional, it's got a michelin star ffs. I'd be amazed if they misled the tiresome punter about having to wait for his chips, though why anyone would order chips in such a place is completely beyond me. Couldn't he just have gone to burger king?

Hippo wrote:
    I'd be amazed if they misled the tiresome punter about having to wait for his chips, though why anyone would order chips in such a place is completely beyond me. Couldn't he just have gone to burger king?

Do you know this "tiresome" customer?
    Were you there during the incident?

Thornton didnt seem to mind spending 40 minutes "creating" this Burger King food, so why do you have an issue with a customer ordering it?:confused:

I was as much present at the incident as you were. I'm not condoning Thornton's behaviour by the way, but from what I've seen and heard of him I'm surprised he made the chips!

Hippo wrote:
    I was as much present at the incident as you were. I'm not condoning Thornton's behaviour by the way, but from what I've seen and heard of him I'm surprised he made the chips!

So you were not there at all then.
    Yet you feel you can label the customer as "tiresome"?
    Whats this label based on exactly?

• Advertisement

Your earlier posts were based entirely on assumptions. Perhaps you should examine your anger issues :) . Good Bye

Hippo wrote:
    Your earlier posts were based entirely on assumptions. Perhaps you should examine your anger issues :) . Good Bye

Where exactly do I make assumptions?

Perhaps you should attack the post and not the poster?
    Either that or have an argument that you can actually backup, otherwise its just tiresome for the rest of us to read your mindless drivel.

GreeBo wrote:
    I guess since we were not there we dont really know what happened.
    The impression I got was that the guy was given his plate of mean and he said something along the lines of "is there any change of some chips or something to go with this?"
    And the wait staff said "sure, I will get you some"

Yeah, some of them are even a worthwhile read :o

I guess your right, you are picturing a totally different attitude on the customers part to me!

My impression was he gets his plate, snaps his fingers and demands chips 'at once young man' from the waiter.

Like you say we weren't there but from the little I heard on the radio the customer sounded like an arrogant pratt so I suppose I am biased against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Oh dear.... Obviously another case of some cook watching too much television.

"Food should be a theatrical experience" or some other dumbass quote like that.

"Listen horse just serve up the food ,I'm paying, and shut the fcuk up"!!!!

Tiresome tiresome

Advertisement