Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purely Curious........

• 27-02-2007 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just wondering,

if you get 10 achievement points for playing a game in easy mode but get 20 achievement points on difficult mode, does that mean you get 30pts if you just went straight to difficult (i.e. easy + difficult). Or do you have to replay in easy!

not that I'm chasing points or anything.....honest!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I'd say it depends on the game... I'm certain I played something on hard mode and got the achivement points for clearing hard, normal and easy... can't remember what tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It depends on the game some do, some don't. Hitman was annoyingly one that didn't :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It varies from game to game for if they give you the lesser acheivments when you get the harder ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

in gears of war for example... yes you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Project Gotham does too. Do people really pay that much attention to achievements and points though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yes we do =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

didnt MS say something about being able to exchange tehm for those market place point things sometime in teh future??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stephen wrote:
    Why?
    Because it proves how much better we are at absolutely everything than anyone else, ever.

Really it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Gun didn't, which pissed me off, as I started at hardest level, completed the game and all side missions, and then traded it in before realising!
    Now it's there goading me with only 860 points!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmy

robinph wrote:
    Because it proves how much better we are at absolutely everything than anyone else, ever.

Really it does.

MY NAME IS TIMMY AND I CHASE POINTS......

for me it's up there with beating the game as it keeps you trying different elements of the game and more likely to get you to try a more difficult setting instead of the usual easy/medium one. Your also more likely to explore levels in more depth to get the rewards/find hidden trinkets. Plus it gets me playing games I normally wouldnt look twice at....Lego star wars for example which is freakin brilliant and Quake 4

Thats my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

True ... it can encourage you to do more with the game than you normally would.

- do more than pick Man U or Arsenal and win the League hands down.
    - go back to explore the whole level looking for 'hidden' bits.
    - Lego Star Wars II is a good example, because it's not really a difficult game (you can't really die). It has some low hanging points to dangle in front of newbies, and then when you've gotten all of these there are the ones that you can't get without being handy at the game.

Of course some games get it completely wrong and gift you points just for looking at the game in Gamestop. But that's normally EA who don't want you to keep playing the game ad infinitum - they want you to go and buy the next version that's out next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It gives you incentive to play a game more instead of just throwing it on the pile, I think achievements are a great thing. It's just a shame they can't be combined for all of your consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

didnt MS say something about being able to exchange tehm for those market place point things sometime in teh future??

Id like that now if that happened Id rather ms points for the market place than a number on my name.. Once I hit 20k points I was just like, this is utterly pointless its just a number! Ill only go for points now if I love the game.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It gives you incentive to play a game more instead of just throwing it on the pile, I think achievements are a great thing. It's just a shame they can't be combined for all of your consoles.

Yep, for example with Lost Odyssey now I'm actually going through most of the side quests before heading for the final showdown... I almost certainly would have skipped them if it weren't for achievement points.
    I know that they're utterly pointless in the long run, but I still love seeing my score grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I don't think MS will let people trade their gamerscore for Live points. There's lots of examples online of people hacking their consoles and cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

silvine wrote:
    There's lots of examples online of people hacking their consoles and cheating
    ... And many getting caught too

Advertisement