Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this then? (Red Square building site)

• 27-02-2007 8:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was heading home after work and was in town this evening and spotted this big structure right where the old Taxi rank was.

Anyone know what it is?

001sq.jpg
    002sq.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Perhaps they are going to use it for public hangings.
    Bringing a modern look to old fashioned street entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Perhaps they're hanging flags from them? They do look similar to several other poles that are around the city that are used for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Have they discovered oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Not another waste of money 'street art' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Bungie jumping for midgets?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Cable dancing?

It's like pole dancing but out-doors and not as comfortable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps they're hanging flags from them? They do look similar to several other poles that are around the city that are used for that purpose.

Abit over the top for some flags, was passing them again tonight and noticed the archway at the back of them appears to be all stone (same colour as the stone currently their) and its all covered in cardboard and plastic at present.

anyone remember seeing planning permission for a structure their in the last few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Apparently it's urban renewal works, there have been notices in the Munster a couple of times about it. Broad St will be closed until the 8th of April. :) (I presume that's it it was set to start the 3rd of March. :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I heard it cost 300,000 euro and yes it will be used for hangings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

its going to be a public and tourist information point. and about time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Who are they hanging first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Roen wrote:
    Who are they hanging first?

A certain serial objector springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

decies wrote:
    I heard it cost 300,000 euro and yes it will be used for hangings.

About time, I was gutted when capital punishment was abolished in 1990. :mad: Not a single person has been killed in the state since 1985, and the last Waterford man to be executed was Patrick Dunphy in 1900! I could list off a half dozen Waterford men who should be hanged!

It's nice to see my letters have finally been answered and that criminals will be made to pay once again. :)

It's gonna be a computerised touch screen info point. It'll be connected to the council computers so they can update it regulary. :) Tis in the News & Star. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I hear paddy powers are taking bets on how long it lasts ;)

Seriously though should be a nice addition, if its left alone ....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

c - 13 wrote:
    I hear paddy powers are taking bets on how long it lasts

One busy weekend in Waterford - and it will be "Out of Order" or sprayed over with some gothic writing, or damaged due to bikers/skaters doing there moves on it.

Sully04 wrote:
    One busy weekend in Waterford - and it will be "Out of Order" or sprayed over with some gothic writing, or damaged due to bikers/skaters doing there moves on it.

Yeah I'd imagine it'll get the same treatment as bank machines, the things people do to them with a skinful in them is horrible!

Still it's a great idea and hopefully it will be left alone... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully04 wrote:

Yep that sounds about right, thats whats gona happen

Only way I can see people not going near them is if they gave free net access, then they'd spent all the time on bebo and they wouldn't damage them :rolleyes:

Computers? Exposed in public? Disaster waiting to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I like them.

Hope it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I've never seen people so biased about skaters and BMXers!! And whats this about "gothic writing." If you know anything you'd understand that most of the grafitti and vandalism is done by the no good little hooligans, NOT skaters. And anyway they can't "do their moves" on a structure like this. When was the last time you saw a skater grind an atm machine ffs. Funny how on a previous thread people were discussing the new park scheme and all the oul gaa heads started bitching about the skate park they're developing down there.:confused::confused:

Asmodean, shhhh
    the vast majority of people here hate skaters which is pretty much a reflection of the general public so your not going to win any argument here :)

You may think you have, but people will only hate BMX'ers and skaters even more after they try to defend their actions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Asmodean wrote:
    I've never seen people so biased about skaters and BMXers!! And whats this about "gothic writing." If you know anything you'd understand that most of the grafitti and vandalism is done by the no good little hooligans, NOT skaters. And anyway they can't "do their moves" on a structure like this. When was the last time you saw a skater grind an atm machine ffs. Funny how on a previous thread people were discussing the new park scheme and all the oul gaa heads started bitching about the skate park they're developing down there.:confused::confused:
    I heard that skaters will be used in the trial run for the first hangings,thus saving the taxpayers thousands of euro ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Asmodean wrote:

Hi As,

Thanks for expressing your concerns with my post. Its good to see someone representing the Skater & BMXng society on boards.

My comments are not completely made up and random. Its a well known fact that a lot of the skaters & BMXerz cause a lot of damage around Waterford City, or cause a general discomfort (even intemdiation at some points) to the general public. So much is this a fact, that the Plazza had to undergo several clean up operations using tax payers money after damage caused by people using their bikes and skateboards to grind, kick-flip onto, and do other skate acts upon them. In recent times, it has had to be closed of completely for a major clean up operation and installation of CCTV Cameras to aid Security Firms and local Gardai in catching the vandles.

I recall Gardai doing raids on the Plaza, and I witnessed many people cycling away and skating away. Some with hods, some with tea-cosy hats and some other crazy style hats also. Now, please correct me if im wrong, but would the people on BMXs and Skateboards not be considered "BMXers and Skaters"? A large area always occupied by them suddenly gets a visit from the cops and they are so innocent they flea leaving poor all Mr. Garda racing down the Plaza to catch as many as he can while on the walkie-talking to the garda car heading towards the crowd in the direction of the tower hotel.

So there we have it - people on BMXers and Skateboards have been witnessed (and probably arrested) doing damage to structures around Waterford City. When approached by Gardai, they flea. If they were all goodie toshoes, why the heck did they flea? You claim that they are "hoodies". Most "hoodies" hate goths, skaters and BMXers and do their level best to terrorise them. Sorry, but its true. They dont usual be on Bikes or Skateboards unless they are breaking them.

As far as im concerned, and because I have witnessed it myself, BOTH hoddies, skates and bikers are all responsible for damage done to structers around Waterford City.

As regards to skate parks. Im all for them. It gets them of the street and into controlled grounds with specificaly built structures for them to **** with. It saves us money, as they are no longer around damaging the Plaza and our lovely information points :P (joke on the IP bit there).

(Please Note: I am not specificaly refering to any one person or any one group. I am also not saying that all skaters, goths or bmxers are trouble makers. There are a selection of good, but it seems a lot (from what is reported in papers, and witnesed by myself) do cause trouble. I am also fully aware of other non-skaters,bikers,goths participating in anti-social behaviour and doing damage to structurers around Waterford also.)

Thanks for listening, and no offense to you or anyone else. Im just stating things how I see it, and I hate to see some good spots destroyed in Waterford. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

**Starts to sob** lol

Not another sk8er thread please!!! We've had these threads so many times! Can't we all just get along?

Minto wrote:
    **Starts to sob** lol

Not another sk8er thread please!!! We've had these threads so many times! Can't we all just get along?

Sorry, no. Its against my religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

Sully04 wrote:

first of all "off with their heads!" hee hee :D

and secondly, by the looks of it, i doubt skaters or bikers can do any of their moves on it...theres nothin there to do moves on but thats not me saying that it wont get vandilized cos it will.
    dont mean to change the subject but u know the colourdy cows and pigs that were around ireland a while back? well they were all round europe and ireland was the only place that they got vandilized. thats y i think that it will get vandiled one way or another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

p.s sorry... if i brought up more about the skating thingy...forgot to read the latest replies.

I wonder will they put CCTV cameras on the Information Points?

• Advertisement

Funny how on a previous thread people were discussing the new park scheme and all the oul gaa heads started bitching about the skate park they're developing down there

Sorry, I couldn't leave this one go. Yes, I did criticise the Councils decision to authorise the skatepark in the Park but I feel as if I was right to do so; There is already one public skatepark facility in Waterford City while there is precious little in the form of Public green space and I feel that the Coucil should not be giving into the demands or should I say the crimes of those who choose not to avail of the facilities already in place and cause damage (be it intentional or not) to monuments in town by skating. For the record, I'm not some GAA head - I've never played any GAA sport - and I find it ironic that you give out about people stereotyping you only for you to immediately generalise everyone else who didn't approve of the new skate park.

Advertisement