Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this then? (Red Square building site)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I havent been in town in a good while, I never even noticed this being built.. but since its just a nice fancy IP, I wonder, what are the chances that I will walk past only to see either the imfamous BSOD, or some other windowsy error message, frack, I once saw an ATM crash with one of those, just glad I wasnt using it when it happened :D

I just hope that they install CCTV around Waterford, that and a "yellow card" system a la UK, could certainly help to combat general anti-social behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sully04 wrote:
    I wonder will they put CCTV cameras on the Information Points?

Well CCTV is now up as of this morning and its working. Temp signs will be placed around the street saying CCTV, but more perm signs will be in place shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I find it ironic that you give out about people stereotyping you

I never said anyone was stereotyping against me. I'm not a BMXer nor a skater.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BadCharlie wrote:
    Well CCTV is now up as of this morning and its working. Temp signs will be placed around the street saying CCTV, but more perm signs will be in place shortly.

How do you know? o_O

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully04 wrote:
    How do you know? o_O

works for the council?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote:
    works for the council?

The council do some work?

Maybe tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Sully04 wrote:
    Hi As,

a lot of the skaters & BMXerz cause a lot of damage around Waterford City, or cause a general discomfort (even intemdiation at some points)

Are you intemdiating me? :D:D:D

Tanabe wrote:
    Are you intemdiating me? :D:D:D

Meh. I was in a hurry, and I couldnt be arsed to check my spelling. Ya get the point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

The monument and / or info kiosk is really a new quik fit tyres outlet for monster trucks :Dbigfoot-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

portlairge wrote:
    its going to be a public and tourist information point. and about time.

I passed this tonight (Friday). It's appaling. The worst looking contraption I've ever seen and totally out of keeping with it's surroundings. Did the Corpo have to apply for permission for this carbunkel?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amron

they're hanging flag things from them-they're up already! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So myself and girlfriend were walking past this thing tonight and they were testing the lights and using a green laser to draw out shapes and words on the white sheets hanging from it and we were commenting on how out of place it looked etc (just to ourselfs)

Next thing some women starts going on about how its great waterford can have such a thing and its not just New York etc that can have such things and then she started comparing it to old Victorian stuff (street lights etc)....seems she was the artist or something that designed it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd hate to see what this place will be like on a busy Saturday. I don't like the idea of having to avoid something when walking down there :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

it's a stand / stage / platform thingy for when the hurlers win the all-Ireland in Sept :rolleyes:

with the opening of croker it's also expected to be used when the bluez win the EL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

or maybe it's part of the €20M for the airport? tie a few gallybanders to it for those short flights to tramore / mooncoin / new ross etc :D

I see they have about 4-5 "CCTV" warning signs up around the structure now, to be honest it doesn't look like it does anything other then being artsy fartsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Roen wrote:
    Who are they hanging first?

Brendan Mc Cann hopefully:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Brendan Mc Cann hopefully:D ;)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Freddie59 wrote:
    I passed this tonight (Friday). It's appaling. The worst looking contraption I've ever seen and totally out of keeping with it's surroundings. Did the Corpo have to apply for permission for this carbunkel?:mad:

I seem to remember you and me disagreeing on the merits of some of the newer buildings around Waterford in the past, but I took a walk around town this evening and this time I'm 100% in agreement with you.

It's horrible looking. It doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose. It ruins the line of the view down from Michael St towards John Roberts Square, and upwards from Barronstrand St. It blocks and overshadows the entrance to Sam McAuley's chemist and Foot Locker (and don't tell me they're happy with it).

I'd like to see some questions answered about this horrible piece of crap:

1. Who pushed for this to be erected?

2. Was planning permission required? If not, what exemption mechanism allowed for it?

3. How much did it cost, and how much of that came from public funds?

4. What is it actually for?

5. If planning permission was required, where the hell was Brendan McCann? I would normally stick pins in a voodoo doll of him but on this one occasion I'd have been four square behind the man!

6. Now that it's clear that it's a severe eyesore, when is it going to be removed, or are we going to have to do a Nelson's Pillar on it? I swear, I'm tempted to head down there some night with an oxyacetylene torch and re-improve my city!

fricatus wrote:
    5. If planning permission was required, where the hell was Brendan McCann? I would normally stick pins in a voodoo doll of him but on this one occasion I'd have been four square behind the man!

He objects to stuff when we don't want him to and the one bloody time you want him to object to something he's nowhere to be found.....useless once again :rolleyes:

The structure still looks awful out of place and you can tell the CoCo are scared it'll be made bits of due to all the CCTV signs they have stuck up.

Advertisement