Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The structure of Television / Sci-fi

Options
  • 27-02-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've felt this for quite a while, but noticing a thread about "Heroes" (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055058747) in the Television forum sparked this post. There is a forum for Heroes, but it isn't in the Television category and is in Sci-Fi/Fantasy instead as well as BSG, Stargate and Firefly which are also all Television shows. I just think it's a bit disorganised and as Heroes in particular gains in popularity, I can see more and more people posting in the Television forum as long as Heroes remains in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Category.

Perhaps create a Sci-Fi sub category under Television and move the afforementioned forums there, or move Heroes to Television OR to spark interest in Boards.tv, have only a Sci-Fi forum under Television thereby encouraging people to post on Boards.tv where there are more forums than you can shake a stick at!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Could a forum be in multiple sub-menus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd say leave it as it is and just redirect people\lock\move threads that are started. Once the new channels that are showing it have gotten a few episodes in, the regulars will know where to go, and there won't be many new people asking questions about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

But still, the natural inclination is for people to go to the Television forum first.

I forgot all about the possibility of simply having a link to the proper forum within the Television subcategory. I reckon that would work out well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Or by moving the thread and leaving a re-direct to the new thread in the correct forum ONE MIGHT HAVE TEH BABBEHS OF DOOOM! >_<

*ahem*

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

So in conclusion Ulster says NO! to hairy green monsters in Uranus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well it obviously wasn't just that that person who's confused as there's also been a request for a Heroes forum in the Forums section of feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree - it's not particularly obvious.

I'd say a better idea would be to have a 'Cult TV' sub-menu off of 'Television' and bundle all these shows in there like 'Heroes', 'Lost', '24'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agree with ixoy.. seems like a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

To put this in perspective, one request for a heroes forum from an average of 29,000 unique visitors every day does not mean that there is a navigation problem, even with the limited search I think most people could find the heroes forum. :)

That said, I do agree that the TV programs under different sections do not seem to be in their natural home for me either, but these rearrangements are best left to the organisational guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Maybe when we have the drop down actually back, we can continue this chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Vexorg wrote:
    To put this in perspective, one request for a heroes forum from an average of 29,000 unique visitors every day does not mean that there is a navigation problem, even with the limited search I think most people could find the heroes forum. :)

That said, I do agree that the TV programs under different sections do not seem to be in their natural home for me either, but these rearrangements are best left to the organisational guru.
    G'wan, find the Doctor Who one next :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

That would have to be in hosted fora.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

G'wan, find the Doctor Who one next :p

whats the prize ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=850

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The question is one of useability.... we have to weigh the utility of having two ways to a forum (from two perfectly reasonable locations), versus the concern of adding more links to the drop downs.

I have some ideas for a new way to do the drop downs but as Regi says, lets deal with the massive change we've already taken on before adding to it.
    Additionally I'm in a cybercafe in a village in north Thailand which is effective someones front room and their son is blaring angry metal music, the daughter is playing some thai girl band and everyone is playing Counterstrike. All at full volume!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

DeVore wrote:
    I'm in a cybercafe in a village in north Thailand which is effective someones front room and their son is blaring angry metal music, the daughter is playing some thai girl band and everyone is playing Counterstrike. All at full volume!

DeV.

tell the truth...........your in a go-go bar !!! :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No but I was in one last night (every bar here is a go-go bar btw...). "Farang no want boom-boom"...

Hopefully Cloud will get a chance to look at the drop down structure and get us back on course with it soon.

DeV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Sci-fi shows tend to very often be or become cross-media. Dr. Who fans may be big fans of the novels, etc. A print-media comic of Heroes is in the early stages of production. It's also aimed very much at a sci-fi audience (even if it is also aimed at getting a good cross-over audience, and succeeding) more than some other sci-fi programs (e.g. Lost).

I think sci-fi suits it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Vexorg wrote:
    That would have to be in hosted fora.. :)

Shhhh.... we're sleeping till Easter when the next Series kicks in.

Advertisement