Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Aiken Has Died

Options
  • 27-02-2007 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Just heard on BBC newsline that concert promoter Jim Aiken has died after a short illness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What is the general feeling on what Jim Aiken has done for the irish live music scene on here? Having read yesterday's papers, and some of the ridiculous credit and tributes they were giving the guy, I must say I was irked about what they accredited to him and lavishing praise on him for "breathing life into the irish music scene" and other such fictional statements.
    I am not gonna post mine out of respect for the dead, or fear of mod based reprisal. But if someone else wants to flame the poor dead ****er out of it, I will happily join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On a similar note dr.bollocko, I heard on radio today that An Taoiseach and An tUachtarán had sent official representatives to the funeral. I have no problem with Mary and Bertie attending any funeral in a private capacity but why on earth do we need official representation at a funeral of a private businessman? AFAIK he did not hold any official public position here nor did he die in the line of duty unlike the Garda and Fireman in Co Limerick. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong or give an explanation!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well i guess it may well be another misguided credit to the guy due to his "service to the industry" or some such nonsense, rather than anything more sinister maybe, but in any case, I think the reality of how he rode the system is very different to how he was perceived.

Advertisement