Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar Eclipse on Saturday from 10.45 pm till Midnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

mike65 wrote:
    Spooky!

Mike.

yea! So dark... gawd! That's a really thin sliver now.... 2244 seems to far away from my pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The redness is starting to come through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks really cool now with the rest of the moon starting to redden, and the white cap on the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mist/high cloud in Oranmore now :mad:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

I am makin a gif anime image of the whole thing taken pictures here in waterford every 2-3mins zoom not as good AS SOME PEOPLES HERE BUT SURE..

Will post up tomorow and moon just dissapeared in waterford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Why's the moon RED? I thought light didn't bend? And the moon has no atmosphere, so it can't be partially-lit dust...

Sorry, I just noticed someone asked already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

An amazing view from my attic in Dublin - just the odd wispy cloud.
    And a real bonus is seeing Saturn - thanks Hamster - though it seems to be up and to the right as per the map posted. We are pretty sure we see the rings - well a sort of sideways elongation of the bright blob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

rediguana wrote:
    Why's the moon RED? I thought light didn't bend? And the moon has no atmosphere, so it can't be partially-lit dust...
    I heard it explained today.
    The red hue is the light from all the earths sun-rises and sun-sets. So it is our atmosphere that is making the lights rays scatter and red light is the only light that reflects onto the moon.

vallo wrote:
    An amazing view from my attic in Dublin - just the odd wispy cloud.
    And a real bonus is seeing Saturn - thanks Hamster - though it seems to be up and to the right as per the map posted. We are pretty sure we see the rings - well a sort of sideways elongation of the bright blob.

no bother at all... I'd like to make out the moons.. but Saturn is a bit too high for me now using binos - creaking my neck :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

any more pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

vallo wrote:
    I heard it explained today.
    The red hue is the light from all the earths sun-rises and sun-sets. So it is our atmosphere that is making the lights rays scatter and red light is the only light that reflects onto the moon.

It's a nice image - sunrise and sunset on opposite sides of the globe sprinkling a red tinge over the moon.

It's better than what I had imagined, that it was the devil that was causing it ;)

Cheers, Vallo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Moon is almost gone slight red coming on here :) Cant see Satern from my bedroom window, will go out into the garden and have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Here's a later view.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Back in to warm up a bit, not much to see now really till around 23:20.

First pic @ 22:26
    Second @ 22:32
    Third @ 22:39

Couple More

First @ 22:46
    Second @22:49
    Third @ 22:59

As you can see the last few have got fairly blurry, exposure times of 15-20 second and a breeze aren't helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Fairly red in Wicklow

Digiscoped picture taken at about 22:45
    8 sec exposure, blurred but captured colour well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm gutted I sold my bloody tripod a few ago now! :mad: Could have taken some really nice pics with my 300mm lens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Looks pretty sweet to me :)

civdef, Delphi - they are awesome shots! The red comes out well with exposure and magnification. Not so much by eyesight alone. Oh well. Thanks for taking time to put 'em up.

*edit* Methinks I spy a nice dark red hue on the proceeding now... 23:24... mmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Was about the best I could manage.....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

totality...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

amazing here in drogheda...i have a house full of teenagers all standing outside with their mouths open.....amazed at it all

robk24, that's spectacular, through a scope? Guessing it is due mirror image..

Anything I've taken since (Sony A100 & 300mm lens) is too noisy to make anything of due to the low light available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

robk24 wrote:
    totality...

WOW!
    Can`t see much here because of the clouds, so its cool to get some nice pics !

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

samsung digimax a4 4mp camera using eyepiece projection on a 8" newtonian...

also using a SLR piggybacked on same scope but on film so no pics till tuesday :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

This is great! Can't wait to get pictures developed! I left my digital camera at a friend's house so he's taking pictures for me with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone see Aertel? "Lunar Eclipse Expected tonight" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Looks really cool now with the rest of the moon starting to redden, and the white cap on the top!
    Look WC that white cap is snow,even the moon gets snow while us on the coast still gets rain:D

Great view from Howth summit away from the city lights.A red sphere against the background stars makes for a great sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was most excellent. A Lunar Eclipse and then a brief period of stormy weather early this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Snowbie wrote:
    Look WC that white cap is snow,even the moon gets snow while us on the coast still gets rain:D
    Shouldn't this be in Conspiracy Theories? :rolleyes:

the event was very interesting and certainly worth the time.
    Can anyone explain the 2029 date I read mentioned as the next "visible" one in Ireland? As I understand it the next full lunar eclipse in Europe is next year.

Advertisement