Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar Eclipse on Saturday from 10.45 pm till Midnight

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When is the next solar eclipse visible from Ireland?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It looked excellent!
    Couldn't the government have organised the lunar eclipse to take place during the daytime so the kids could see it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

the next solar eclipse is going to be a partial one,
    it falls on august 1st 2008...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike65 wrote:

Yep that's what I thought. Any idea about that 2029 reference? I haven't been able to find anything on it. The Irish Times had this
    It is thought that this will be the best such eclipse to be visible in Ireland until 2029, with the moon becoming a million times dimmer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

any pics?

here is what that referes to
    Largest Total Lunar Eclipse: 2029 Jun 26 Umbra Magnitude = 1.8488

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

mike65 wrote:

What would happen if you were standing in that little intersection of p1 and p4, it's about 40 deg W; what would you see then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

kbannon wrote:
    It looked excellent!
    Couldn't the government have organised the lunar eclipse to take place during the daytime so the kids could see it? :D
    I dunno about everyone here but - I went through an entire childhood with eclipse disappointments - always feicn' clouds.

If I had kids I would have thrashed them awake with my belt so they could see it! :D

What would happen if you were standing in that little intersection of p1 and p4, it's about 40 deg W; what would you see then?

The moons edge would be covered starting at one side and going round to the other - a long partial eclipse. I think! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

Was a great experience up here in Dundalk. Will done to astronomers Ireland for organising an event where people can appreciate this rare occurance.

Got a chance to make proper use of my Meade Etx-70 aswell. Looking forward to the next "big thing". Anyone know what and when it will be??

Check post number 72

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

here's some pictures of the eclipse. they're not brilliant, but i'm inordinately proud of them....

http://flickr.com/photos/19245824@N00/409970094/
    http://flickr.com/photos/19245824@N00/409970096/
    http://flickr.com/photos/19245824@N00/409970098/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭knm

Lovely pics dr strangelove.
    Heres one I took on the night, and yes, it is photoshopped. Only to show it like it was to the naked eye. Yea, the star is a real one. Sony Cybershot 5mp, afocal.
    DSC08903.jpg

Advertisement