Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my graphics card decent enough for Vista?

• 27-02-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,685 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Vista ultimate 32 bit is running fine with my old, passively cooled, ATI Radeon 9600 256MB graphics card powering my Dell 20" 1600*1200 LCD monitor. I'm running an Opteron 144 1.8@2.7 MHz on a S939 in a very quiet setup

I don't play games, but I do want the best possible graphics experience on windows and on video playback. Is my setup utilising the Aero Glass UI to the full?

What say you? Do I need to upgrade my graphics card? What would you recommend and why?

I've been a bit out of the loop on the technology front, so any advice is very welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,685 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I use an Nvidia 7300 LE which is just about adequate so you could use that as the base line for minimum performance.

Google for sites that compare cards performance, tomshardware is one that comes to mind

also windows upgrade advisor is pretty good at telling you whats good and what wont work http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No you don't need to upgrade your graphics card.

Your card has 256MB of RAM which is fine for Aero, resolution limitations with Aero Glass enabled kick in on cards with only 32-128MB of RAM & no access to system RAM via the PCI-e bus like Hypermemory or Turbocache tech found on low end PCI-e cards.

You could install the ATI Catalyst Vista display drivers if your using stock ones, might improve the rendering speed of flip3d a little bit but that's about it.

Thanks for the help!

However, I am an idiot. My card does not have 256MB, as I posted, but only 128MB. It's AGP too. In Vista display settings, it states that my total available graphics memory is 255MB, the dedicated video memory is 128MB and the shared system memory is 127MB

So I am looking for an upgrade as surely, shared system memory for graphics is no good. I've posted a new thread for advice here

Any help much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well 1600x1200 is the max limit for Aero Glass & 128MB available on GPU's so you don't really need to upgrade unless you are buying a bigger monitor (you can always turn off Aero Glass as well to disable the resolution limitation but lose the eye candy of course).

And it looks like ATI have some sort of virutalization going on with the AGP part anyway under Vista so if it needs to it can use a little bit of system RAM. It's all transparent as it shifts about the data in the GPU's RAM into system RAM & vice versa though if you do actually notice any delays or slowdowns maybe a GPU with more RAM is worth considering.

Either of the recommendations Hopeful made will do.

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    Well 1600x1200 is the max limit for Aero Glass & 128MB available on GPU's so you don't really need to upgrade unless you are buying a bigger monitor

I've no intention of upgrading my monitor, so it looks like I don't need to upgrade my graphics card then. Thanks a lot for your help

Advertisement