Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

0/5w 30/40 (5l) oil in Galway - Where?

Options
  • 28-02-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Doe sanyone know where in Galway I can find oil for my 320d in 5l drums. I want either 0/5w 30/40 Fully Synthetic. Any combo will do really. Everywhere only has it in 4l Castrol drums.

Halfords in Sligo have it at 60euro for 5 litres! That's madness! Anyone got nay recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's hard to come across it in 5l drums. Mostly it's on sale in 1l bottles. TBH, €60 is about average for 5l - even for main dealers who buy the stuff in bulk from a tanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I couldnt find any fully synthetic oil in halfords dublin stores. Not to hijack your thread but if anyone knows where in Dublin I can get fully synthetic oil I'd be greatfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

They deffinetly have the fully synthetic alright. Can't remember the colour of the bottles but they have it alright. Try the halfords in carrickmines - it's the biggest one in dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Gonna pop down to Halfords tomorrow and take a proper look at what they have

Check out this Castrol link. It has a 'buy online at Halfords' link. I didn't check the Halfords link, but it appears it's only available in 4l doses.

• Advertisement

Just did a little searching online, aparantly Halfords brand oil is made by Esso. IIRC Halfords brand had the oil i'm after in 5l drums

JohnCleary wrote:
    Just did a little searching online, aparantly Halfords brand oil is made by Esso. IIRC Halfords brand had the oil i'm after in 5l drums

Halfords Wipers are made by Bosch and Halfords batteries are made by VW as far as I know. Unless they have been telling me lies! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Halfords are very bloody expensive.

Small motorfactors are far more reasonable and seem to carry more stock despite generally having 1/20 the floor space.

DJ Hafez wrote:
    batteries are made by VW as far as I know. Unless they have been telling me lies! :p

VW don't make batteries (neither do most motor manufacturers). They tender out the supply (to VW spec) to a battery manufacturer like Varta, Hoppecke, Bosch, etc. You'd be surprised how little the 'manufacurer' actually makes. They mostly design and assemble. Engine, gearbox, body and trim parts are usually manufactured in-house - most other things are out sourced - including oil.

Well they must be the same batteries as VWs so..... That's all ive been told like :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I always wondered how much of a car is actually made by the manufaturers. It seems like they are basically kit assemblers. Any part I've taken off my Safrane or the missus scenic seems to have been made by Valeo.

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah I always wondered how much of a car is actually made by the manufaturers. It seems like they are basically kit assemblers. Any part I've taken off my Safrane or the missus scenic seems to have been made by Valeo.

Valeo is big supplier to Renault - especially electrical components. Most manufacturers use 'local' suppliers. To use VW as an example, they use Siemens, Bosch, Blaupunkt, Mann, Huff, etc. But a Toyota will use the likes of Hitachi, Toshiba, Pioneer, Denso etc.

You'd imagine seeing as they had had a fair amount of electrical issues they'd change suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    You'd imagine seeing as they had had a fair amount of electrical issues they'd change suppliers.

I'd imagine most component suppliers build the parts to order and are unique to each type of vehicle if not manufacturer. Could be very expensive for the car maker to change supplier in the middle of a car model's life.

When a new model is launched could be a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Fiat make a lot of their own stuff, and stuff for other car manufacturers.

e.g. Magneti marelli (alternators), Carello(lights), Jaeger(instruments), Weber(carbs at one stage).

maidhc wrote:

e.g. Magneti marelli (alternators), Carello(lights), Jaeger(instruments), Weber(carbs at one stage).

AFAIK, these manufacturers are subsidiaries of Fiat as they also make components for other manufacturers. Jager instruments are often seen in Peugeots & Renaults. Weber carbs were in lots of different cars too.

I think this thread has kind gone off topic...............just a tad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I paid €100 for 6 litre in Halfords just the other day. €60 for 4l and €20 for 2 1l. :(

Ah well, short term pain - long term gain:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

galwaytt wrote:
    why are you using - or trying to - 0w 30/40 ? It's completely OTT for the car.........our climate is not severe enough to require it......

It's the recommended “oil” by the manufacturer for my car. You’re supposed to get 18k miles before servicing. But I’ll be servicing it myself at 9k and getting the garage to do it at 18k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry -mea culpa on that, I was reading the wrong line on the chart.....I know that the local Co-Op in Athenry sells Mobil 1........

John Cleary - I presume you've already tried Calbro/Partway/KD/Western Autoparts.........and Motorpark - I'd be shocked if you couldn't get it in one of those........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have you tried a main dealer or two for prices?

I got 4-litres of Honda's own 0W20 super deluxe fully synthetic from a dealer in 1L bottles for a *lot* less than Halford's own brand of 0W30 in a 4.5L can.

• Advertisement

I ended up getting Halford's 5w 40 Fully Synthetic. 37euro for 5l

galwaytt - Tried Partway and Calbro that's all I had time to check. Anyhow i'm sorted now so thanks everyone

Mobile tell me it's available at Esso 'on the run' stations......whatever they are.......or ring Burke Lubricants on 1850 401 401

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I ended up getting Halford's 5w 40 Fully Synthetic. 37euro for 5l

galwaytt - Tried Partway and Calbro that's all I had time to check. Anyhow i'm sorted now so thanks everyone

Hey John, was this oil for a E39 5 series. i need to change my oil, and have a E39 2 litre petrol. Would this stuff be okay to use?

Holy thread resurection!

No, the oil was for a boat engine

I only use BMW LL approved oil in my BMW (320d e46), sorry I can't help you with the e39, try www.bmwland.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another bug bear I have is a BMW 6 clyinder engine takes 6.5 litres. why then can you only buy 4l or 1l bottles?
    I am looking at getting a 5 gallon drum of oil but the lads would use it up if I left it in the communal garage.

Another bug bear I have is a BMW 6 clyinder engine takes 6.5 litres. why then can you only buy 4l or 1l bottles?
    I am looking at getting a 5 gallon drum of oil but the lads would use it up if I left it in the communal garage.

I bought 3 x 4l BMW LL oil from opieoils.co.uk .... Gave a good discount for buying 12l and delivery was a set £10, better value than anywhere in Ireland... that'll do for 2 services (6l each) as my car doesn't leak/burn any oil

fwiw, we just got 0W40 from Partway the other day, so it's definately available......

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    fwiw, we just got 0W40 from Partway the other day, so it's definately available......

BMW LL spec??

If LL is 'BMW Longlife 04', then yes - that's what it says on the tin......

Castrol Edge Sport.

btw - BMW oil IS Castrol. To paraphrase the Heineken ad...... BMW don't do oil, but if they did..........Castrol.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    If LL is 'BMW Longlife 04', then yes - that's what it says on the tin......

Castrol Edge Sport.

btw - BMW oil IS Castrol. To paraphrase the Heineken ad...... BMW don't do oil, but if they did..........Castrol.

Aye i'm aware of Castrol/BMW

How much was the LL04 oil? Want to compare it with buying online

Advertisement