Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArtCake is coming soon....

• 28-02-2007 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi everyone! I would like to show my hobby and I want to know your opinoin about this type of cakes. I am thinking to make cakes' bussiness in Galway. Do you need cakes like this? :rolleyes: How much are you ready to pay for this? :confused: Thanks for looking.
    irishkaktuspq3.jpg
    nimo1gj3.jpg
    pinguini3qy5.jpg
    playbus1xv3.jpg
    rubaxark1.jpg
    waxmat2yo6.jpg
    toby2cr8.jpg
    spongebob3ui0.jpg
    fru2ul4.jpg

I won gold medal for this cake on a Panel of chefs of Ireland in galway
    karysel7rp8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

First off those cakes are cool.

You cant really ask people how much they are willing to pay. If they have never used a service like this before they will have no idea how much something like that is worth.

Post up what you would charge for each of those photos and see what people think of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

They are pretty cool looking cakes , im sure you could do well selling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Charge whatever they cost to make multiplied by 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Really cool cakes there!

How about you come over to Galway and walk around the cake shops checking what's already available and the prices? You can also bring photos and show them what you can do.
    Perhaps a cake shop will let you put your cakes in with theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

It looks very intricate, so I'm thinking the time spent decorating the cake alone will probably be the most expensive factor. They look like they're all 9 to 12 inches in diameter, so I would guess they'd sell for about €70 - €90 each. Even though they do look good, I don't think there'd be a huge market for them in Galway, plus I think there's already at least one place selling them in Galway (can't remember the name, think it's a smallish place in one of the industrial estates). Maybe for weddings and big 21st/40th birthday parties.

• Advertisement

Any chance of a cakejumper?
    /Eoin McLove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

WOW...They are class!! Some talent you have there,id pay 100 plus for them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Amazing looking cakes, really like the SBSP and penguin ones.

I would pay about €40 - €60 for a cake like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ylka

Thank's to ALL very much!!! You are right, it's takes a lot of hours to make decoration. The real starter price should be not less then 70 uro for 10" cake.
    And I cover cake with marshmallow and all decoration made from marshmallow. this is absolutely new nice flavour! Just I am thinking to move in Dublin or try to make bussiness in Galway:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Have you sold any to the general public at all yet?

Perhaps an advertisement in a local newspaper, wedding/birthday trade show events etc., perhaps target 'executive birthdays' (and their little darling children).

Word of mouth is quite effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Those are fecking cool cakes - best I ever saw! You are an artist!

I'd recommend getting yourself a basic website and target the Dublin corporate market - they'd go down a storm. They are always looking for new novelty items to impress the boss/employees/clients etc.

Btw your not selling cakes - your selling "custom confectionery designs".

You can charge more when selling a handmade custom designed product.

Get yourself a book on marketing. And get a professional website done! You don't have to live in Dublin to sell in Dublin - a website & a very careful courier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

P.s - p.m me a phone number - I have the kids christening coming up (sometime this summer, before she walks up the isle) & one of your cakes might be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

The cakes really are great, but I don't think it'd really work in a city as small as Galway. There are a few bakeries in Galway that you could maybe approach about selling your cakes through (like O'Connors on Eglinton Street, or maybe Griffins (not sure if they do cakes or just breads). You might be able to set up a deal to possibly supply through them, but it'd probably be difficult to negotiate. A major factor would be the fact that you're (I assume) making the cakes in your own home, which wouldn't be subject to health inspectors, etc - so they might not be too eager to sell your stuff. Plus you'd be looking at them taking at least 20% of the sale price and all the associated costs (displays, returns, etc).

It could be a good idea to set up your own "boutique" bakery, but again, it'd be costly and assuming that your decorating abilities are the key to selling the cakes, it's unlikely that you'd be able to produce enough to sell any significant amounts.

Also, like SyxPak suggested, wedding shows would be a good idea. It's definetly the kind of once-off event that justifies spending €100+ on a cake. But you might have to take into account that your product seems to revolve around marshmallows and what I assume is sponge cake. If you could work with more traditional things, like fruit cake and royal icing as well as what you've shown already, then there'd probably be a decent market for wedding cakes. "Standard" wedding cakes are €150+, so there's more room for profit and a level of demand that you could probably easily cope with.

Personally, I think some kind of partnetship (for the birthday type cake) or advertising solely to weddings (try to approach some hotels who could probably refer people trying to book a wedding to you) would be the best idea for Galway. If you're determined enough then you could probably manage to set up on your own, but it's take a huge amount of work for something that probably wouldn't have massive profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You have some talent there. Very novel.

Just look at Spongie!

Needless to say, the penguin would go down well at Linux User Group meetings :D

Thank you very much to All for support and good ideas! Does anybody know how to find licenced not busy kitchen where I can working in Off time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those cakes are cool, my sister bought a spongebob cake for my nephews birthday last year and it was basically just a lump of sponge cake with very little effort put into it. Your spongebob looks class!

Contact Enterprise Ireland they might be able to sort you out with a kitchen to work in and could definitely put you in contact with corporations that would buy these works of art. See if they can get some chiefs to talk to you a good catering company could take you on and let you work at your own pace.

Galway is too small a market but you could easily base yourself here and supply some of the fancy hotels in the area.

I'd say if you can sell even ten word of mouth would get you a load of work. You just have to find the right people to sell to.

Definitely send your work into some of the wedding magazines.

On Saturday mornings there is a market next to St Nick's church. You could bring a few cakes there and see if they sell? Let me know if you come over, I'll be sure to come and see them IRL
    Info on http://www.galwaymarket.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I like cake.

Just a Wedding cake........;)

lebedi1jv1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You're seriously talented, I hope you get your business up and running, if I was the sort of fella who either liked or bought cake I'd certainly buy one of yours.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Good idea for girls' present:

barbara2xr9.jpg

serdzte1se3.jpg

becks1vv0.jpg

That's a really cool cake. However I feel this thread is being used as a showcase for a particular business... The initial questions has been answered.

More Russian cakes.
    Amazing work http://englishrussia.com/?p=851#more-851
    All you see below are cakes that can be eaten without any part of it left. No plastics or any other artificial stuff is being used - everything is eatable. All this cakes by Zhanna from St. Petersburg.

r

biko wrote:
    More Russian cakes.
    Amazing work http://englishrussia.com/?p=851#more-851

I know her.....She is very famous on a decorators';) forums!!!!

biko wrote:
    That's a really cool cake. However I feel this thread is being used as a showcase for a particular business... The initial questions has been answered.

I am sorry for all missunderstanding. This is not a bussiness, just a hobby. Thank you for your kind words.....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Keep posting the pictures of your cakes, I think they're brilliant!

Advertisement