Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrapin ultra violet ligts

Options
  • 28-02-2007 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I have 2 terrapins and just a normal light on the aquarium at the moment but am looking for an ultra violet light-i think? would this fit into the light connection i presently have and where would i get one and how much? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The kind of light needed by chelonians is in the UVB spectrum. No need to think about it, you definetly need to get a uvb lamp for them, they need it to synthesise vitamin D3 into calcium. They can develop shell and bone deficiencies if they dont have uvb. You should at the very least use a powedered vitamin supplement on their food. Check out the tortoise care sheet stickied here, it should point you in the right direction.
    Most reptile shops sell them, if not you can order one off the net, I use a place called live foods uk here: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/
    They sell the whole lot, and are pretty reliable.

Advertisement