Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals delay Quarryvale probe until after election

Options
  • 28-02-2007 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

How far can we stretch coincidence on this Island? One might imagine that if Bertie and Co. were so lilly white that they would get this mess over and done with as quickly as possible.

We saw the alacrity of closing the "loophole" in the BUPA/Quinn affair. Anyone for a banana? We have a fresh harvest thanks to The Banana Republican Party and their watchpoodle.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1784341&issue_id=15309
    Appeals delay Quarryvale probe until after election

THE long-awaited probe into Quarryvale, one of the most controversial planning developments in Co Dublin, is now unlikely to begin until after the general election.

The Mahon Tribunal was due to begin hearing evidence into what is now the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre on January 16, but this was postponed when Cork-based developer Owen O'Callaghan began an appeal in the Supreme Court against a High Court decision allowing the tribunal to proceed with its investigation.

The three-day appeal began on January 22, but there are no indications when the judgment will be given. The tribunal now says that the Quarryvale hearings will not begin before March 27, and has also indicated that it will not sit for two weeks before the general election.

Separately, Mrs Hazel Lawlor, widow of former TD Liam Lawlor, has begun High Court proceedings seeking a judicial review against the tribunal including an injunction which, if granted, would restrain the tribunal from further inquiries into matters concerning her. This action has been adjourned until mid-March.

When the Quarryvale inquiry finally gets to public hearings, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and his predecessors John Bruton and Albert Reynolds are all scheduled to appear.

Lorna Reid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That would really piss you off. I had actually been keeping an eye on the papers for news of this, hadn't read the Indo yet today.

However, it doesn't really matter what would have come out. The citizens of Ireland like a battered spouse would keep going back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Comparing election results to domestic violence is somewhat offensive imho.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

ninja900 wrote:
    Comparing election results to domestic violence is somewhat offensive imho.

Indeed it is. At least there is some chance of justice in the domestic case.

The politicians who get elected on false or non honoured promises can go on to corruption, style Ahern/Haughey and colossal mismanagement which directly affects the population.

I'm all right Jack and pass me up the ladder

ballooba wrote:
    The citizens of Ireland like a battered spouse would keep going back for more.

Not too sure about using victims of domestic violence to make some soundbite. Believe you me, it's not that simple.

Anyway, the premise of the thread is a nonsense. The suggestion that somehow the courts keep an eye on the election dates is hysteria. I would suggest that, at the very least, someone should identify the judges they believe are in hock to the party political process and the timing of elections, or put this thread on the 'Yanks never landed on the moon' and 'aliens crash landed in Roswell' type forums. This forum shouldn't be used as some mouthpiece for wild conspiracy nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

why, if these guys are innocent, do they want the investigation blocked? proof enough that the enquiry should go ahead, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not too sure about using victims of domestic violence to make some soundbite. Believe you me, it's not that simple.

Anyway, the premise of the thread is a nonsense. The suggestion that somehow the courts keep an eye on the election dates is hysteria. I would suggest that, at the very least, someone should identify the judges they believe are in hock to the party political process and the timing of elections, or put this thread on the 'Yanks never landed on the moon' and 'aliens crash landed in Roswell' type forums. This forum shouldn't be used as some mouthpiece for wild conspiracy nonsense.
    Um, this is a tribunal set up to investigate conspiracies to subvert the planning process. It seems as though you have a pavlovian reaction to the mere concept of 'conspiracy'

Anyway, the suggestion isn't that the courts are trying to delay the proceedings, it's clearly an attempt by those being investigated to stifle proceedings to avoid or delay the most severe ramifications until after the election when there is feck all that the public can do for 5 more years when this will be 'old news'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Anyway, the premise of the thread is a nonsense. The suggestion that somehow the courts keep an eye on the election dates is hysteria.
    Does anyone out there know how judges get appointed? Is it by public vote or is it just by some sort of vote/consensus amongst their legal peers that these people have the best legal minds etc?

Akrasia wrote:
    Anyway, the suggestion isn't that the courts are trying to delay the proceedings, it's clearly an attempt by those being investigated to stifle proceedings to avoid or delay the most severe ramifications until after the election when there is feck all that the public can do for 5 more years when this will be 'old news'

Do you seriously think the legal teams of Mr. O'Callaghan and Mrs. Lawlor are sitting down with their clients saying 'well we have to do whatever is best for your case, and of course delay matters for as long as possible to spare the feelings of the likes of John Bruton'?

I think John McEnroe said 'you cannot be serious'. This is the nature of legal proceedings and appeals. What people here are suggesting is that somehow legal advisors and the Judges of the Supreme Court should arrange their schedules around the election date, so we can all enjoy the entertainment of having Bruton and Co. hauled through the coals before voting. The original poster is completely wrong, bending the court timetable to suit electoral strategy is exactly what happens in a banna republic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

The original poster is completely wrong, bending the court timetable to suit electoral strategy is exactly what happens in a banna republic...

It has all the hallmarks of a banana republic. Collossal *cough* loand and whiparounds for the present Taoiseach. Collossal corruption bt the former and lately deceased Taoiseach.

Misspent money of foolish projects such as the PPARS computer, voting machines and the expensive prolonged storing thereof. Failed hospitals, MRSA etc.

Yes, it is not outside the bounds of reality that stalling is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Heinrich wrote:
    Misspent money of foolish projects such as the PPARS computer, voting machines and the expensive prolonged storing thereof. Failed hospitals, MRSA etc.
    QUOTE]

Much as I detest the current incumbents (well at least the Drumcondra based elements of them), i don't actually think that schemes such as those above would be implemented in any significantly better way by a different administration, but then I'm just an auld cynic who thinks that our body politic in general are incompetent, and believe it or not, I believe that's because the rewards are/were insufficient to attract the capable people.
    Does anyone out there know how judges get appointed? Is it by public vote or is it just by some sort of vote/consensus amongst their legal peers that these people have the best legal minds etc?
    Well to answer my own question (i've been out doing some research) and wait for this, it appears that judges (especially supreme court judges) are actually political appointees (that probably explains why they acted as they did during the Mr A case, you know, unconstitutionally), you know, the more you think about it......

• Advertisement
Advertisement