Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows registry edit to recognise external drive?

• 28-02-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

My Western digital external drive is not being recognised in Windows. (It appears as an unknown USB device in Device Manager).

The drive is fine (checked it on other machines). I'd reinstall the driver if it were available (its plug and play and an online search for drivers yielded nothing). Also the USB ports are operating fine.

I'm thinking at this stage that its a windows (XP SP2 ) registry issue but I've little knowledge of how to do registry edits. I've read eslewhere that by deleting upper and lower filters you can resolve a problem with CD rom or DVD/RW drives that are not recognised.

Could a registry edit fix the issue with an external drive also? and if so any tips I where I might find guidance in how to do this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

whoa ..

regedit is a last resort used only when you are quite prepared to install windows again from scratch. note how I didn't say reinstall, because if you screw up a vital setting in the registry you can inherit the problem no matter how many times you reinstall over the top. That risk is low, but the consequences are drastic.

check the manufacturers web site for drivers, does the device have an FCC ID ?

remove other USB devices , especially card readers that may hog drive letters

take a system restore snapshot

If your CD rom is D: then pop in the windows CD and open a command prompt and type d:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons as it gives another chance to recover.

Advertisement