Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD 64bit processor - should I install 64 or 32 bit Vista?

• 28-02-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of building a new rig and intend to install Windows Vista Home premium on it.

Now I was thinking of installing the 64bit version. But doing some research it appears that many programs are just not ready for a 64bit OS yet. Anyone installed Vista in 64bit mode. Any big differences and any major issues?

Should I install 32 and upgrade to 64 at a later stage, or should I install the 64bit version straight away?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Get the OS that matches your machine type. It will perform most optimally that way. My dad installed 32bit on the 64bit AMD and it was fine, but I later got him the 64bit and he said he noticed no difference after reloading that.
    My experience is that a 64bit processor will execute 64bit code better that it will handle 32bit code.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I would go with the 32-bit version there are compatibility & drivers issues that need to be worked on that make 64-bit more of a hassle then it's worth.

Given another year or two when most of the bugs have been ironed out and more developers better support 64-bit in software & drivers it would be worth revisiting but not at this stage.

Advertisement